$2.00 deer tag

troutcarver

Here is something pretty cool that I found.Thought you might enjoy. I had bought this old shotgun a while back. I was doing some cleaning on it and took the butt plate off. I found this old Deer tag from 1936 underneath the plate. I cant believe only 2 dollars to hunt deer. It must have been a combination license because it was in a shotgun and there is information on the back about small game. Kind of interesting to find a piece of history thats 75 years old
8736deer_tag.jpg

That is awesome, something to put on the wall in a frame, not much of that stuff around these days.. very cool.

Crazy! I am supprised though. back in those days my grandpa in Ephraim tells me storys of when he was a kid that they just walked up in the hills and got thier deer when the meat was running low no tag needed lol. I bet he was one of a handfull that was legal back in those depression days.

That is pretty cool. I've framed a loan document from 1927, with which my grandpa (who talked a lot about deer/hunting) financed his farm.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Wow!! I remember when I was a kid here in New Mexico, we could buy a deer, turkey and bear tag OTC for about $15. That was back in the 70's. Frame that thing, that is really cool.

That is a great find. It is interesting that the tag holder had to mail in his used coupon to report. Mandatory reporting of kills in 1936.....

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

It would be interesting to run a cost ratio comparing the cost of a hunting license as a % of average income in 1936 to % of average income in 2011. Anyone know Utah's reported average income in 1936 and 2011.

Also, what is the actual cost of a "hunting" license in Utah today?

That's a really great find, if I came across that baby I'd frame it in a double sided glass frame so i could show off both sides.

Thanks for sharing troutcarver. By the way, post up some of those trout your carving.

DC

My first out of state tag was an antelope tag in Wyoming where I had to fork out a whopping $35. I think it was 1972.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-11 AT 09:19AM (MST)[p]OK here ya go...

Based on inflation $2.00 in 1936 would equate to about $30.00 in todays time (Consumer Price Index).

Utah license costs in 2011:
Combo hunting and fishing: $30
Utah General Deer Tag: $35

Here are some costs from 1936:

Average Cost of new house $3,925.00
Average wages per year $1,713.00
Average hourly wage $.82
Cost of a gallon of Gas 10 cents
Average Cost for house rent $24.00 per month
A loaf of Bread 8 cents
A LB of Hamburger Meat 12 cents
Studebaker Car $665.00

Kind of interesting when you think about it. We always think that everything was so cheap back then. Sometime it was, sometimes is wasn't...

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-11
>AT 09:19?AM (MST)

>
>OK here ya go...
>
>Based on inflation $2.00 in 1936
>would equate to about $30.00
>in todays time (Consumer Price
>Index).
>
>Utah license costs in 2011:
>Combo hunting and fishing: $30
>Utah General Deer Tag:
> $35
>
>Here are some costs from 1936:
>
>
>Average Cost of new house $3,925.00
>
>Average wages per year $1,713.00
>Average hourly wage $.82
>Cost of a gallon of Gas
>10 cents
>Average Cost for house rent $24.00
>per month
>A loaf of Bread 8 cents
>
>A LB of Hamburger Meat 12
>cents
>Studebaker Car $665.00
>
>Kind of interesting when you think
>about it. We always
>think that everything was so
>cheap back then. Sometime
>it was, sometimes is wasn't...
>

Interesting...........

That is a great find! Frame that thing for sure!

Lien2

Interesting info woody! We only think things were cheaper back then but I guess it's all relative. Thanks for calculating!

Cool license. I'd frame it and save a piece of history.

Zeke

Considering I paid $5 for my first deer tag in Nevada (which I bought over the counter in the bar a Frenchman's Station, the bartender was about three sheet to the wind and the hand writing was illegible) the $2 in 1936 seems like a pretty high price.

Back when kilo and eel got their first tags they traded a beaver pelt and a can of beans for it.

Go to cabelas in utah and you'll find at the very first customer service counter a bunch of old tags like this one. super neat thing to run into.

Thanks woodruffhunter, revealing information.

For an boon-docker you got right good skills. You that good at finding moose on the Cache too, I'm going to need a hand this fall, got a squirmy feeling they're going to punch my ticket this May.

DC

"Back when kilo and eel got their first tags they traded a beaver pelt and a can of beans for it."

Quite the contrary NVB...The manufacturing of "canning" wasn't introduced until the early 1800's. They probably had to trade two shrunken heads for a decent tag back then.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

>Thanks woodruffhunter, revealing information.
>
>For an boon-docker you got right
>good skills. You that
>good at finding moose on
>the Cache too, I'm going
>to need a hand this
>fall, got a squirmy feeling
>they're going to punch my
>ticket this May.
>
>DC

Lumpy

You draw that tag and I will help you find one. I have a spot in mind and I don't think it gets much pressure! A few years back I saw a really nice 40"+ bull, along with several other smaller bulls. There are several ponds and its about 1 mile off the road. I hunted there for elk a few years back and only saw 2 other elk hunters in the days I was there!

Let me know if you draw

>It is interesting that the
>tag holder had to mail
>in his used coupon to
>report. Mandatory reporting of
>kills in 1936.....

That is funny packout - that was my very first thought as well when I looked at that old license. With all of the advancements in technology today and the relative ease in creating a mandatory reporting system online, it boggles my mind that Utah does not have mandatory reporting on ALL hunts - limited entry and general season.

Woody,shake out your loop cause I'm just absolutely sure there's a moose tag in that computer with my name on it this year. I'll be howling your name soon enough.

DC

Not very historic, but the year I moved back from Georgia (2003), the big game hunting license was $19 (included 10 does, 2 bucks, a bear, and 3 gobblers). That comes out to $1.58 per deer with the bear and turkeys being free! The cost of Western big game hunting is just getting out of control.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom