2 Zone Elk specifics

jbricejr

Does anyone know if there is anything specific out yet on how the proposed 2 zone system might work, which units would be involved, etc? I've looked at the F&G website and can't find anything. It doesn't seem to be in the new management plan, so I guess it is the next step, but people are talking about it as if some of the specifics are known at this point. Thanks

I don't know if the 2-zone proposal is approved or not! I've looked over the revised elk plan several times, and cannot find anything about it. It is not clear to me whether it survived public input or not...I hope not.

The 2-zone proposal did not survive the public comments but it is not entirely dead. While the majority of hunters favor the option there was a lot of concern from hunters that the 2-zone allowance would cause overcrowding in late season hunts and cow hunts. IDFG decided in the Elk management proposal to shelve the idea until options can be developed that would not result in overcorwding, over harvest or additional season restrictions. The following is from the revised draft of the Elk Management Plan:

"A second survey was used to gather information from hunters in 2013 about the 2 options and associated proposals and details. The majority of the respondents favored the 2-zone option over the C-tag option. A majority of hunters did express concern of moving forward with any option to expand hunter opportunity to multiple zones if it would result in more restrictions to the zone they currently hunt in. Six of 10 hunters did still express interest in moving forward, while 3 of 10 hunters were opposed. Because of uncertainty and concerns expressed by some hunters, IDFG will further evaluate the effects either option may have on current hunting opportunities before making any recommendations to the Commission. Over the first few years of this plan, IDFG staff will continue to work with hunters to develop ways to expand hunter opportunity to hunt in >1 area."

So the idea is not entirely off the table. A majority of hunters like the idea of hunting in two zones but due to the concerns that were raised they want to fully evaluate what the impacts could be if they move forward with the 2-zone options.

I for one was initially in favor of the 2-zone option but the more I studied the different combinations of zones that appealed to me I discovered a pattern in my logic that if others did the same could lead to overcrowding certain hunts. If that were to happen then it would only be a matter of time until seasons were shortened or restricted in other ways.

I look forward to seeing what other options will come forward, the options I favor are directed at limiting participation by making hunters choose the 2-zone option over applying for controlled hunts. Some examples below:

An option would be to have the 2-zone option be an unlimited controlled hunt required to be a first choice pick (if you could get it as a second choice everyone would do it and that would defeat the purpose).
Another would be the option to declare for the 2-zone tag during the controlled hunt application period instead of putting in for controlled elk hunts.
Or determine quotas for second-zone tags in each zone and allow hunters to apply for them as a controlled hunt 1st or second choice option.

>An option would be to have
>the 2-zone option be an
>unlimited controlled hunt required to
>be a first choice pick
>(if you could get it
>as a second choice everyone
>would do it and that
>would defeat the purpose).

I'm one of those that was and still am concerned about overcrowding, particularly into the later 39 hunt. I don't mind the option noted above. Guys would have to be pretty committed to chose this option and that would work for me.

Funny how the results of the survey found that people are adamant that they want:

1) To be able to hunt EVERY year.

2) Better chance at a TROPHY bull.

Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too....

I would end up hunting McCall in October and Boise river in November, and I know a lot of other hunters would do the same thing. So I was against it during the public feedback session. It would certainly lead to overcrowding in some of the zones.

They could get around some of the overcrowding by placing seasons closer together. Still, its problematic. The two zone idea was one a few they were looking at.

Anyone have the link to that survey?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom