2017 GS rifle deer

UtahJimmy

I'm trying to get my wife her first buck this year and looking for a little direction. We'll probably be a few months pregnant come October and I'd like this to be an enjoyable experience for her.

Looking at the draw odds it seems like our chances of obtaining a tag are near 100% for Box Elder, Kamas, and San Juan Abajo. The only area I have experience with is Kamas. What are peoples thoughts on hunting mulies in Box Elder and SJ? We're seeking quantity over quality as she would be more than happy with a small buck being that it would be her first. Objectives appear to be the highest on SJ but I'm just looking for confirmation on issues like access and hunting pressure from those who have participated in these hunts or live in the areas.

There are also a few other units I'm considering but the draw odds are lower and with the potential for an infant in 2018, I'm not sure how that would all play out.

Please feel free to PM if you'd prefer!

As always, thanks for the help!

Of those three and after this winter, hands down SJ. Actually SJ would be one of the better opportunity hunts in the state. Northern Utah is most likely going to be hurting after this winter.

I would agree SJ, but get there a day or two early and be ready to shoot the buck first thing opening day. you see lots of 2 points during archery, more skittish after muzzleloader and come the 2nd day of rifle it may take some work to turn up a buck.

Unless you have some private property connections for SJ or are prepared to hike deep into back-country, I'm not convinced it's the best unit for what you want to accomplish.
As evidence, I'd point out that the SJ herd was doing so poorly the last couple of years that the state was transplanting deer to the unit.
Additionally, the state is doing extensive rehab in the unit to encourage the deer herd to come back. I was there visiting some of the area that is being rehabed a couple of years ago. Was told by the biologists and range personnel that winter range counts went from 10,000 animals to 200 animals.
Granted, there are areas where deer are available, but having hunted 3 of the last 4 years there, I see a lot of hunter pressure in those areas and a lot of private ground.
I will continue to hunt the unit in spite of the low deer numbers because I can find beautiful places to hunt without seeing hunters on every canyon rim....
In the three years I hunted the unit I never pulled the trigger or had a mature buck in my scope.

Well, we were able to pull her a SJ rifle tag! Pretty excited for her, hopefully we can have a successful hunt! I'm thinking about heading down there in a few weeks just to put eyes on the unit and maybe pick out a campsite for the fall.

How are the road conditions in early June?

Also, I've picked out a few drainages I want to peek into. If anyone wouldn't mind me asking some questions about pressure and access, could you please send me a PM so we can discuss?

>Well, we were able to pull
>her a SJ rifle tag!
>Pretty excited for her, hopefully
>we can have a successful
>hunt! I'm thinking about heading
>down there in a few
>weeks just to put eyes
>on the unit and maybe
>pick out a campsite for
>the fall.
>
>How are the road conditions in
>early June?
>
>Also, I've picked out a few
>drainages I want to peek
>into. If anyone wouldn't mind
>me asking some questions about
>pressure and access, could you
>please send me a PM
>so we can discuss?

High & Dry!

Unless it Rains!:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My Signature Just for NVB!
Like 6 Damn Times Now!

Thanks Bobcat! While you're scouting your elk tag down there, let me know if you see any pisscutters on the Blues you think she should cull out of the herd!

>Thanks Bobcat! While you're scouting your
>elk tag down there, let
>me know if you see
>any pisscutters on the Blues
>you think she should cull
>out of the herd!

;-) Congrats on the tag !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom