2023 Vernon Muzzleloader

MN Hunter

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have really enjoyed reading posts and learning from all of you, but I've never hunted mule deer so have not had anything that I felt I could contribute. That has changed this year as I got lucky and drew a NR Vernon muzzleloader tag! To say I'm ecstatic would be an understatement. My dad and I have been dreaming of this hunt for a long time, so it will be great to have him along for it. With that said, I live 20 hours away so will not be able to scout in advance isn't an option. Nor is going with a guide. Given this, I have been doing as much e-scouting as I possibly can, and am leaning on the experiences of others to point me in the right direction. I've already spoke with the wildlife biologist and some other great people have reached out and shared information with me. I'm always looking for more though, so if anyone has information on the Vernon unit that they'd like to share, I'm all ears! Same goes for any advice on a first time mule deer hunt. With all that said (and from what I've read from previous posts), I'm keeping my expectations realistic on what to expect. It is going to be a fun hunt, and I can't wait for the opener to get here!

Very fun unit to hunt, I grew up hunting that unit before it went LE.
Can drive many, many miles on public land and just soak up the desert landscape.
Some funky genetics out there to keep it interesting.
A lot more water out there than you would expect.
One small store inside the unit that has basic groceries and fuel.
A small lake (can get busy on weekends) stocked with Rainbow trout for a quick fresh trout lunch or dinner. Pro Tip: Use PowerBait to speed the process of obtaining fish so you don’t lose too much hunting time.
Lots of medium sized 3 and 4 points to look over with the potential to cross paths with some very nice bucks.
What are your expectations of a buck you will happily pull the trigger on?

Very fun unit to hunt, I grew up hunting that unit before it went LE.
Can drive many, many miles on public land and just soak up the desert landscape.
Some funky genetics out there to keep it interesting.
A lot more water out there than you would expect.
One small store inside the unit that has basic groceries and fuel.
A small lake (can get busy on weekends) stocked with Rainbow trout for a quick fresh trout lunch or dinner. Pro Tip: Use PowerBait to speed the process of obtaining fish so you don’t lose too much hunting time.
Lots of medium sized 3 and 4 points to look over with the potential to cross paths with some very nice bucks.
What are your expectations of a buck you will happily pull the trigger on?
Thanks for the info! Is this store in Vernon, or elsewhere on the unit? I personally don't have any concrete expectations on score, but I'm more focused on a mature 4x4 with nice overall proportions and good back forks.

You are very welcome.
The store is in Vernon, which is a very small town.
Vernon Reservoir is 10’ish miles away from the store, easy to find on Google Earth.
You should have no problem finding a decent four point, the width of the four point or the length of forks of any buck on Vernon can really vary and you just don’t know what craziness you can run in to out there.
We had a lot of moisture out there this year and the food sources are still in amazing condition.
Antler growth should be fantastic this year.

I’ve hunted it a few times and live near it. If you’re looking for a really big buck, you’ll have to think outside the box on the Vernon. It holds some great deer, and they are typically not where you’d expect them to be.
Lots of roads, If you have access to a atv/utv, you’d be happy to have it. Good luck on your hunt. Enjoy it!

I would cruise roads and glass finding out where the deer are. Don't just take off hiking somewhere if you don't know there are deer in there, you could waste a lot of time doing that. Glass and cruise roads a few days before the hunt. Make sure you have a spotting scope. Good luck!

I had the tag in 2012. The second best deer hunt I have been on. Lots of deer and lots of places to hunt. I had a blast on this hunt. A quad is a must to cover lots of ground IMO. I agree with going a couple days before and scouting. Some areas I hunted held lots of deer where others did not. Find the deer through scouting. The deer I ended up killing on the 4th day was within 300 yards of where I saw him the first day of the hunt. He was with a pile of does and he wasn't leaving them for anything. Sorry....this was the rifle tag but I think you're 2 weeks earlier? I wish you luck! You'll have a great time.

If you want to see a ton of deer but possibly be hard pressed to find a really big buck but you'll see a bunch of average bucks hunt the sheeprocks around Vernon reservoir if you're looking for true big deer hunt the places you wouldn't really think the deer would be you won't see near as many deer but have a chance to see a good one.

That's pretty much a once in a lifetime hunt anymore. If I were from out of state and had never stepped foot in the unit, I'd sell a kidney and hire a guide.

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have really enjoyed reading posts and learning from all of you, but I've never hunted mule deer so have not had anything that I felt I could contribute. That has changed this year as I got lucky and drew a NR Vernon muzzleloader tag! To say I'm ecstatic would be an understatement. My dad and I have been dreaming of this hunt for a long time, so it will be great to have him along for it. With that said, I live 20 hours away so will not be able to scout in advance isn't an option. Nor is going with a guide. Given this, I have been doing as much e-scouting as I possibly can, and am leaning on the experiences of others to point me in the right direction. I've already spoke with the wildlife biologist and some other great people have reached out and shared information with me. I'm always looking for more though, so if anyone has information on the Vernon unit that they'd like to share, I'm all ears! Same goes for any advice on a first time mule deer hunt. With all that said (and from what I've read from previous posts), I'm keeping my expectations realistic on what to expect. It is going to be a fun hunt, and I can't wait for the opener to get here!
Give me a call and we can talk about the unit. I hunted it 2 years ago. 801 368 3427 Mike

Don’t pay a guide, if you’re willing to hunt and be patient send me a pm. Spent lots of years out there. I’m happy to help someone who is willing to hunt and not be guided
Giddyup, spent the first week during archery without any luck. Trying to head back the last week. If you could give me any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Best advice I can offer…….. Ten ply tires. Two spares.

Those rocks brake the radial bands…….. patch won’t hold. So do the shredded juniper trees.

It’s 45 miles to a tire store.

Delta and Tooele are both pretty close to the unit. Lots of deer around the reservoir but there are some good deer in the canyons that are in the desert. Lots of glassing and driving until you find the one you want. I wouldn't higher a guide just hunt and have fun.. While there talk to the people out there most will help you.

Best advice I can offer…….. Ten ply tires. Two spares.

Those rocks brake the radial bands…….. patch won’t hold. So do the shredded juniper trees.

It’s 45 miles to a tire store.
I remember pulling up and seeing you jammed underneath your truck! Not fun ......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom