22-250 for antelope

J

jbigb30

Just curious has anyone killed a speed goat with their yote gun. I killed a good buck with my .308 did the Job perfect put just wondering if someone has done it with the 22/250 caliber since its a little flat shooting. Or would you recommend using it.

It can be done and you're going to have guys telling you it's the perfect elk gun.

I would not use it, even quality .22 bullets are to light for game use under anything but ideal conditions. John Nosler said, I've used high velocity .22 rifles on game and I wouldn't do it again. I agree, get a 243-277 caliber rifle and keep the 22's for varmints.

Stay thirsty my friends

I saw a mule deer buck that was killed with a 22-250 a few years back. Three shots and it died. All shots were 150 yards away. As we were taking care of it I saw what damage was done by the 55 grainers and was not all that impressed. I was gonna do it until then. 100 grain g5 tekans are sure mean to the goats FYI. Few things in life are harder than sneaking up on antelope with a bow.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Prior to Wyoming wising up and requiring .23 cal or bigger for antelope, my friend dispatched a dandy buck with a 22-250. He shot it with his varmint gun because he had missed the same buck earlier with his 7 mag and thought the scope must have been bumped.
The result was a dead antelope in it's tracks, but he shot it in the neck.
Even if it was legal to shoot them with a 22-250, it would not be a good idea. As has been mentioned most .22 bullets are meant for varmints and don't hold together and most importantly the wind almost always blows on the prairie and light bullets drift significantly.

I disagree with most here on this one apparently.

In my opinion antelope are basically varmints. Half the size of deer even. A 243 is great for antelope, but a 22-250 is probably just as good.

I shot an antelope 2 years ago with my 22-250 and nosler custom ammo loaded with 55 ballistic tip varmint bullets. I took a prone 420-430 yard shot (wow I already cant remember the exact range...its gonna be bad when I start getting old!). I held my 400 yard hash a few inches behind the shoulder on a perfectly broadside shot and the wind did exactly what I had anticipated and pushed the bullet right into the shoulder. It broke the shoulder and entered the vitals. Wound was about 2" going throught the shoulder and ribcage. Energy was immense and the animal fell as if it had been spined and never flinched. This is a very fragile bullet and it worked fine, even when place through the shoulder. Use a 53 or 62 grain (I think thats what they make in .223 cal) barnes TSX and that bullet would still be flying.

If you load real heavy bullets in a 22.250 you make it a 243 equivalent. If you load light bullets in a 243 and you make it a 22-250 equivalent.

A premium bullet(bonded or all copper) in the 22-250 will probably outperform a cheap cup/core bullet in the 243 on game.

Not sure about WY's laws, but I'm guessing they allow 243 on elk (I know NM does). I would recommend a 22-250 for antelope long before okaying the 243 on elk.

Also: before I had a 22-250, I bought a box of fancy Federal ammo with 55 grain trophy bonded bear bullets and gave them to a buddy who was deer hunting in TX with his 22-250. He shot a fork horn WT buck (I would say most 1.5 year old white-tails are antelope sized). I wasn't there so I didn't see it first hand and no autopsy was performed, but he shot it once and it didn't take a single step. In contrast to my antelope kill this was a close shot, 60-70 yards I believe.

JFP...WTFJ!!!

You want to blow them in half???

22-250 is way overkill!!

17 HMR is my goat gun of choice!!!

I wouldn't hesitate to use my 22-250 on Antelope. I took it to Missouri one year and killed 3 whitetails with it and had awesome results. Antelope are smaller than whitetails but they aren't legal here in Colorado for big game.

Sure it will kill them... if everything is perfect. But, if you need to "rake" the shot on a big buck them you'll probably see their untrustworthy side.

If it's your only gun, and it's legal in your State, then go ahead and hunt with it. Just be more careful than otherwise.

I'm not speaking out of my Azz on this one either. I've owned one or more since the mid 70's and have killed deer, antelope and bear with the little beauty BUT I'll not do it again. Sometimes a guy gets smarter over time. This is one of those times!

Zeke

What Zeke said...It will do the job if you do yours. Shot placement is very important.

Also, check to make sure it is legal, as there are minimum caliber restrictions in most places.

As long as your not using varmit grenades or something like you are fine. Great cartridge for antelope and small southern deer.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-13 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]Yes, it is a good round for antelope. That being said you need a good bonding bullet.

Every year one of our friends takes an antelope with one no problem.

I have not had the chance to take mine for antelope due to the fact we have a nice 24cal. 6mm in the safe that does the job just fine.

I would not think twice about using one on speed goats.

I'm sure cavemen have killed dinosaurs with rocks but its not the ideal weapon for the job. Same for the 22-250. Like someone has already said....under perfect conditions and perfect shot placement maybe. But my opinion is as hunters we have a moral obligation to make a clean quick kill. Better cartridges for the task. I've also seen guys remove spark plugs with a crescent wrench.....

Well said bassin,
Grizzly bears have been killed with a .22 rimfire, but that doesn't make it good bear medicine. If you check out the other post "Antelope rifles", not one person recommends the 22-250! It is marginal at best, when it is legal. (According to the Wyoming website the commission is still considering legal calibers)

I called Wyoming yesterday and was told the rule is still the same and has not changed,23 cal. or larger for big game.No 22 cal allowed for big game hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-13 AT 06:36AM (MST)[p]I guess I will be making another call on monday.

I read what you say.It is legal for deer and antelope .

Thanks for posting.

I was up in wyo a couple years ago, was watching a hunt go down on a buck antelope,with a local..pulled off a 350 yd shot (2 solid hits) was a dead goat with the first hit..anyway he was using a 204 ruger...P O ackley claimed quickest killer he seen on burro,s was with the 220 swift...not my choice ( I like the 243 & up)..Danny

coues52---So did you contact the G&F and turn the guy in for using an illegal firearm to take that antelope?

Interesting yes this was for utah I don't know if I'd actually pull the yote gun on a antelope just wanted to see and hear thoughts of it there are better calibers to get the job done just as good and make clean kills just wanted to hear what others had to say

Very redneck and unethical to use a 22-250 for pronghorn. Have a little respect for the animal and use something a little more proven.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom