22 Creedmoor

I am on my second one. Sort of finicky, in my opinion. first barrel was 1:7 twist 26”..could only get the 88eldm to about 3080fps safely. Way below internet claims. Then at 400-500 rounds it started blowing up bullets before reaching the target.

My current barrel is just a 22-250 1:8 twist tikka rechambered into 22 creedmoor. It’s been much less finicky. Shoots the 88eld at 3080fps also.

It’s definitely a fast, short ride but super enjoyable to shoot and pretty amazing ballistics for the recoil. Just need to pay close attention to bore diameter (.219 better than .218), twist rate/RPMs to avoid bullet blow ups. If having one built I’d get a smith who’s done more than a few and can help choose the right components.

No experience with the suppressor but should be awesome for that.

I am on my second one. Sort of finicky, in my opinion. first barrel was 1:7 twist 26”..could only get the 88eldm to about 3080fps safely. Way below internet claims. Then at 400-500 rounds it started blowing up bullets before reaching the target.

My current barrel is just a 22-250 1:8 twist tikka rechambered into 22 creedmoor. It’s been much less finicky. Shoots the 88eld at 3080fps also.

It’s definitely a fast, short ride but super enjoyable to shoot and pretty amazing ballistics for the recoil. Just need to pay close attention to bore diameter (.219 better than .218), twist rate/RPMs to avoid bullet blow ups. If having one built I’d get a smith who’s done more than a few and can help choose the right components.

No experience with the suppressor but should be awesome for that.
I was sort of looking at re chambering a 22-250. It seems to be quite a bit cheaper. I definitely don’t need one just want one.

best rifle I’ve ever owned. 18” 1:6.5 twist. Shoots one raged hole no matter what I feed it.

We’ll see how barrel life is but that is what it is

IMG_5254.jpeg

I recently had one put together on a Howa action and 24" Douglas barrel. I haven't shot it suppressed, and still just working up loads, but so far it's pretty much keeping to half MOA groups.
I'm confident it's a keeper.

95gr SMK, 35gr of H4350, petterson brass with CCI large rifle mag 250 primers and about 6 thou jamb. 2830fps

I know, I know, don’t jamb hunting loads. But I hit a fox in the head at 480 from a sitting position off my bipod yesterday. It’s a shooter

95gr SMK, 35gr of H4350, petterson brass with CCI large rifle mag 250 primers and about 6 thou jamb. 2830fps

I know, I know, don’t jamb hunting loads. But I hit a fox in the head at 480 from a sitting position off my bipod yesterday. It’s a shooter
6 thousandths jam isn't too much for a hunting rifle IMHO.
Not sure I want to count on jammed ammo in a big game rifle but I do for yotes and varmints all the time with my 20 Practical with 40 grain BIB all the time.

Zeke

Years ago I had a 22-250AI which is essentially the same dimensions as a creed....give or take a few thou.

I was running 80 ELD-Ms at 3100 from a 20" suppressed barrel and loved it. Great shooting rifle on an 8 twist Bart and trued 700 action.

Years ago I had a 22-250AI which is essentially the same dimensions as a creed....give or take a few thou.

I was running 80 ELD-Ms at 3100 from a 20" suppressed barrel and loved it. Great shooting rifle on an 8 twist Bart and trued 700 action.
they are essentially the same. i almost built one, fire forming brass was really the determining factor.

in reality there is nothing new under the sun. a 220 swift will do everything a 22 creed or 22-250 AI will do with the right twist barrel. im just not old enough to shoot a 220 swift yet. maybe a couple more decades and i can have old guy guns...

I agree, Lapua makes 22-250 brass as well as 6 Creed brass. The 6 Creed simply needs to be ran through a 22 Creed die and its ready to shoot.

Were I doing it today I'd go Creed since everyone has a reamer and no fire forming.

FWIW, this is a 25 shot fire forming group at 100 yards from the AI with 69 grain TMKs. Not the smallest group by far but one of my favorites. These were jammed .005 into the lands and loaded with H414.

Screenshot_20240102_125427_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240102_125404_Photos.jpg

My bro and I both have 22-250 AI's and they're as great as a 22 Creedmoor.

We went this route because we have a ton of once fired brass and a spare barrel (for copious fireforming) that could be chambered at the same time as our "good" barrels. Easy and lots of fun to position shoot 400 rounds each while fireforming.

If not for the above, we would have gone Creedmoor.

Zeke

Ever shoot a coyote with a 6.5 Creedmoor? Not too pretty if that sort of thing matters to a guy.

I cannot see myself sitting behind a 6.5 in a big prairie dog town and having joy beyond about 100 rounds. Give me a 20 or 22 all day long!

If none of the above matters, why not use a 26 Nosler? It's way better than the Creedmoor.....but better would have to be defined.

Besides, it's a hoot to tinker with fun little cartridges!

That is all.
Zeke

they are essentially the same. i almost built one, fire forming brass was really the determining factor.

in reality there is nothing new under the sun. a 220 swift will do everything a 22 creed or 22-250 AI will do with the right twist barrel. im just not old enough to shoot a 220 swift yet. maybe a couple more decades and i can have old guy guns...
I am that old guy with a 220 Swift Pickett. Unfortunately its almost as old as me with a 1:14 twist. No heavies back in the day.
I just had a 22 Creedmoor put together, hoping it will make me younger.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom