22 NR points?

Mule

22 Elk points, 70 years old, have saddle mules, like alot of glassing, can shoot long range, what unit, rifle or archery, I'm at a loss this year.

Just a Word Of Warning!

The Rifle/Any Legal Weapon Limited Entry Elk Tags Have Seasons That Have Been Cut To a 5 Day Hunt!

Not Sayin You Can't GIT-ER-DONE in 5 Days But That Ain't Much Time If You Don't Know The Area!

That's A BIG Chunk Of a Guys Life Just To Get The Tag!

They Just Keep Adding More Hunts & Permits!

UN-F'N-BELIEVABLE!

Hopefully with 22 years you have been out and spike hunted a few of the LE Bull units over those 22 years?

Or Gen deer hunted an overlap unit?

Take the knowledge/experience and go for it.

Robb

No, I haven't hunted Utah yet. Be hunting to many other states. Everything's up in the air this year, I was thinking the Oct 7-19 rifle or a late season tag. Hopefully the mules can get me in more remote areas to avoid the barrage of other hunters? Any one ever hunt the Dutton remote country?

22 yrs ago I wanted to hunt the little creek roadless unit, but things change over time. I've never hunted Utah yet. I'm hopeing research and spending a couple weeks before a season opener will give me some hope. With the changes this year im thinking its time to to use the points, before I get any older an there's anymore changes. Seems like Utah has always been a coveted Elk state but it's not what it once was nor do I think it's going to get any better anytime soon or in my lifetime. Wayne

Plenty of options for hunts that would give you an incredible experience. Hint you are on the right track with the first Unit you mentioned...?

22 points won't get you much. Manti early would be my choice with 22 points. That's about all you would have a legit chance of drawing. Long ways from a Dutton tag. Lasal, Wasatch would be in your ballpark, same with Fishlake but they suck.

Last edited:
Yeah, the rock does worry me at my age, just have to go at my pace. I have been looking at some late hunts? I've had good success with late hunts in Arizona, would think they'd be similar. Wish I had more options at multi season, as a NR, as I've got lots of time.

You mentioned archery. You’re dang close for a shot at a beaver archery tag. That could be an awesome hunt. Send me a message if your interested in more info on the unit.

I'm guessing there won't be any bonus tags for Dutton or any of the other smaller units for non residents with the new tag splits. Pick one of the larger units that has more tags with 22 points and hope for hope for a bonus tag on the mid season hunt.

I read a post you made in January this year and you said you had 20 points?? 22 points could make a big difference in where you could or couldn't draw. You mentioned you have had good luck in late hunts and 20 or 22 points might get you drawn in Manti late.

What do you want to get out of the hunt? Inches? Experience? Fun?

Wasatch multi season would be a great option for a guy with time who wants to cover country and drum up a chance at a 350 or better bull. Hunting the early rifle, part of the muzz and then coming back for the late to clean up is a fun chunk of 25 days of elk hunting IMO

Manti is the best value LE tag in the state just by virtue of elk to tag ratio. It’s managed for nearly 13,000 head and carry’s 575ish permits, compared to say the wasatch which has 8900 head and around 1000 permits.

Non residents in your shoes pretty much have to choose one of the mid tier units like wasatch or manti, or just keep hoping you get lucky with no guarantee on the top end. It’s just what it is.

If you’ve got mules and like late hunts, that will be something you could really capitalize on. Late hunts can be tough as access can and often is restricted for vehicle access in many areas. That can be mitigated to some extent, as long as we don’t get a ton of early snow.

22 points as a nonresident could draw you any of the below with a rifle based upon what happened in 2022. This assumes tag numbers remain as they were and these hunts still offer a bonus tag, and there is always the caveat of pool jumping, which at higher point pools, that happens often.

Wasatch late
Wasatch early*
Wasatch multi-season
S Slope Diamond Mtn mid
Fish Lake late
Fish Lake mid
Lasal late
Manti late
Cache Meadowville early*
Book Cliffs Bitter Creek/South late

*Those early hunt odds will change quite a bit with the reduction in tags. I’m guessing the Wasatch early will be out of reach with the early tags getting cut pretty significantly.

Out of all those options, if it were me and I had mules at my disposal and wanted to do a late hunt, I’d be picking between the Wasatch late and Manti late. I’ve never participated in a Manti late hunt (only the early), but I have the Wasatch and we had a great time. Saw a lot of bulls over a couple days and my buddy shot a nice 330 class bull.

If you’ve got the time to do multi-season, Wasatch multi-season is a no-brainer for you.

You have received some good advice - assuming you are retired at your age and have flexibility to get out quite a bit, the Wasatch multi-season tag is 100% your best option.

Mt. Dutton late would be an amazing hunt for you, but there were no bonus tags given last year with only 1 tag overall for NR - no bueno for draw odds, but a great hunt option for a late hunt with mules.

Best of luck with whatever you end up choosing!!

Do the later season hunts get much snow? I hunted Nevada 1 year and it was hot shirt sleeves weather the first 2 weeks of scouting. When the season opened it dumped 14" of wet heavy snow, then 30mph winds and the temps went to single digits. What a change!

Do the later season hunts get much snow? I hunted Nevada 1 year and it was hot shirt sleeves weather the first 2 weeks of scouting. When the season opened it dumped 14" of wet heavy snow, then 30mph winds and the temps went to single digits. What a change!
Virtually impossible to predict - this past year, Utah had a lot of snow during the late hunt. Prior years there has been everything from T-shirt weather in November to cold but no snow to what we got this year with a bunch of snow.

At that time of year it can certainly change drastically from day to day as you experienced in NV.

Why is Dutton called the rock? Is there water sources up in there I can find for my mules? Arizona and New Mexico I've had trouble finding water some years.

Why is Dutton called the rock? Is there water sources up in there I can find for my mules? Arizona and New Mexico I've had trouble finding water some years.
There is water if you know where to find it. The mountain is just a big rugged rock pile. There hasn't been a bonus tag on any hunt other than the early rifle which took 24 points to draw last year as a NR. Your chances are slim you would ever draw Dutton as a NR, especially if they cut the bonus tag from the early rifle. I don't understand the hype the unit gets. I spend a lot of time on it and yes there are some nice bulls, but there are better options that you can actually draw imo. Dutton can be an absolute brutal hunt going in blind, alone, with no experience, but they are your points so do as you wish! Good luck!

There is water if you know where to find it. The mountain is just a big rugged rock pile. There hasn't been a bonus tag on any hunt other than the early rifle which took 24 points to draw last year as a NR. Your chances are slim you would ever draw Dutton as a NR, especially if they cut the bonus tag from the early rifle. I don't understand the hype the unit gets. I spend a lot of time on it and yes there are some nice bulls, but there are better options that you can actually draw imo. Dutton can be an absolute brutal hunt going in blind, alone, with no experience, but they are your points so do as you wish! Good luck!
I agree with you, some seem to think I stand a chance because of the new midseason hunts? Can a person find a 350 bull in the Wasatch multi season hunt? What would you do in my situation?

I agree with you, some seem to think I stand a chance because of the new midseason hunts? Can a person find a 350 bull in the Wasatch multi season hunt? What would you do in my situation?
I would be in the Book Cliffs with my bow. Second choice would be Manti muzzy. Wasatch holds good bulls, but you will have a ton of people to contend with. Take your mules into a remote part of the Book Cliffs and hunt the entire archery hunt, sit water/wallows early in the hunt until they start talking, then chase bugles the last 10 days.

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom