24 draw

I’ll probably get 61 bear this year, and maybe otc archery elk. I’m goin in with 8 for moose so nil to no chance. And deer we will see what the winter looks like.

I’m at 13 points for elk and deer. Gonna burn one of the two
I’m zero points and I’m thinking of burning that NR fee before the wolves eat everything. What’s a good unit that I could get for zero points ? Should I get go hunt insider? Heard there’s a promo code or two out there.

I’m zero points and I’m thinking of burning that NR fee before the wolves eat everything. What’s a good unit that I could get for zero points ? Should I get go hunt insider? Heard there’s a promo code or two out there.
I read somewhere it’s actually going to get a lot better now. I’d save those points, or lack there of. And I’d recommend unit 34, sleeper unit.

Yeah we will be over run with deer, elk, and moose soon, better stock them points, hell the Alaska bums will have to make a trip down south the way things are looking. Hopefully we instate a 4 brow points or better rule down here too, keep them from shooting all our dink moose up

in all honesty that’s what I should do. Nothing but clear skies ahead for Colorado. Hell our state gov loves hunting so much! If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times. All hail the furry overlords!

Hopefully draw moose or bighorn. Someone has to be optimistic. 😎😎
Elk - still not enough with 24 pts
Deer - easy to draw 3rd season with the few
points I have. Or, take my son on a 4th
season hunt if he is sure he can get time
off from work.
Antelope - with 24 points and last winters kill
off I will just wait. Maybe I will find a
worthy hunt with more research. North
west corner may come back in a few
years.

I'm still walking around confused. It's tricky planning hunts for me, my two boys, possibly my wife, potentially my hunting partner... I have scraps of paper with scribbles on them scattered around. I'll apply us is New mexico, (never been there to hunt yet) Wyoming, (we have lots of points there, not sure yet on the plan) colorado, (2nd choice elk,someday a moose, try for a couple deer tags) The goal is three elk tags in Colorado, hopefully an antelope tag somewhere, be nice to get a few deer tags. This year we don't have any of those hunts I've been dreaming of in the schedule. My wife and I both have enough for a 76 rifle and muzzleloader tag, but the family is still needy. We burn deer points at the 3 point level, and antelope is a species we use for fun. And I use the voucher system and the raffles, with a budget of $1500.

Is there any hope for a NR with 5 pts going in this year looking for a mediocre unit with an outside chance at a good buck?

What about 41? Any info appreciated. 3rd season? A pm wouldn’t hurt my feelings

Last edited:
I have 18 elk points and am seriously considering dumping them on a cow tag. It's either that or I'll dump them in a medium-high end archery tag. If I do the latter, honestly I'll probably shoot at the first legal elk that is over a year old. At 58, horns have all but lost what luster they ever had with me. I would much rather just have the meat. I've never shot an elk with my bow and would like to check it off of my bucket list.

I was 1 of the 4 that didn't draw a 61 1st last year with 24 points. so you should have a chance. not sure what I'm doing with 25 this year..
You should be a shoe in this year for any 61 rifle season except early rifle. I am one point behind you and figure I can draw in a couple years.

You should be a shoe in this year for any 61 rifle season except early rifle. I am one point behind you and figure I can draw in a couple years.
Question is, do we want to draw? everyone seems to be saying the quality isn't worth the points. but I guess that's often the case.

Question is, do we want to draw? everyone seems to be saying the quality isn't worth the points. but I guess that's often the case.
the million dollar question. Depends on if you want to wait for early rifle which your a quite a ways from or muzzy.

From what I have seen focus on the experience and weapon type you want to use/season rather than score in CO, just from last two years' experience deer hunting anyway. Best bull I saw was in a OTC area getting pounded. Go for less people - look at what overlaps etc.

61 is without question not what it was 10 years ago. The quality is down due to a few reasons. Hunters in general coupled with much better equipment have just gotten better at killing elk. And I believe they are giving too many bull tags out in 61 to sustain the quality of animals that used to be there. There are still some big mature bulls roaming the area, but few and far between. The question is, would you be happy burning 25 points and putting your tag on a 275-300 inch bull? The problem won't be fixed anytime soon, so my advice would be to burn the points and go have fun. There's always a chance that you could find one of the big ones.

Probably good advice. I'm 60, I don't have another 25 years for it to get better, if it ever does. and I don't have enough points to draw a better unit in that time frame either.

I've already taken the biggest bull I'll ever get so if it's a fun hunt that's what really matters.

My buddy and I have 7 NR deer points, so we’re trying to find a unit that will give us the best bang for our buck, although there’s not much for choices in that point range. Let the research games begin 😁

My buddy and I have 7 NR deer points, so we’re trying to find a unit that will give us the best bang for our buck, although there’s not much for choices in that point range. Let the research games begin 😁
Good luck better then no chances I suppose.

7 elk points. No clue. I am gonna be blunt, yes please give me GPS coordinates to your honey/hidey hole ( which one is it? I've read both, honey is my vote ) where I can shoot my first elk. Thanks

7 elk points. No clue. I am gonna be blunt, yes please give me GPS coordinates to your honey/hidey hole ( which one is it? I've read both, honey is my vote ) where I can shoot my first elk. Thanks
Throw a dart. I will always recommend going somewhere you can spend the most time.

I have 8 NR elk points and hope to use them somewhere on a muzzy hunt. I burned 21 Elk points the last time on a Unit 2 archery hunt. Know that tag is not in the future at my age. For me the quality of the hunt is seeing elk and hopefully filling a tag. I have plenty of bone that sits in the shed.

Is it really that bad? There's better bulls being taken on the OTC hunts.
It’s tough in 61 lately. But don’t get me wrong, I would definitely hunt it every year if I could have a tag. It’s a really fun unit to hunt. There’s big bulls in there, just not as many as there used to be.

Is it really that bad? There's better bulls being taken on the OTC hunts.
I can’t speak with authority on 61, but I can say on a mid tier unit I hunted and friends that have hunted the harder to draw units in much of the state that 270-320 bulls are much much more common than finding that class of bull in OTC Yes there won’t be 350 bulls behind every tree but I’d wager that the unit holds its fair share of big bulls and quite a few really nice 275-315 Bulls.
But yes there are probably a few 330-360 bulls that come out of otc or 0 point units every year, that is probably more luck than anything where that class can certainly be had in the top units in Co, but it is definitely not a guarantee

I heard rumors that some day the CPW will get their act together and listen to res and nonres requests for a better quality hunting experience for Colo elk!

One thing that could possibly change things in dramatic fashion is if Colo went to all draw for elk. Anyone with a background in wildlife management is aware that it is impossible to manage elk populations and elk hunting pressure with unlimited tag allocations!

It’s pretty frustrating when there are only a relatively few limited bull elk units scattered across Colo with an incredible high demand for those type of tags.

If things changed to all draw for bull elk it may mean your pts are actually worth all the years waiting in line for a quality experience in Colorado!

I certainly hope more and more frustrated hunters complain directly to the CPW about their frustration with crowded conditions and poor quality experiences in otc units! Also the inability to draw elk tags due to so few limited elk unit options!

I heard rumors that some day the CPW will get their act together and listen to res and nonres requests for a better quality hunting experience for Colo elk!

One thing that could possibly change things in dramatic fashion is if Colo went to all draw for elk. Anyone with a background in wildlife management is aware that it is impossible to manage elk populations and elk hunting pressure with unlimited tag allocations!

It’s pretty frustrating when there are only a relatively few limited bull elk units scattered across Colo with an incredible high demand for those type of tags.

If things changed to all draw for bull elk it may mean your pts are actually worth all the years waiting in line for a quality experience in Colorado!
I have always loved the otc option in Colorado. But the last few years it has been a real circus. It used to be a guy could leave 99% of guys if you hiked in 3/4 of a mile. Now with the glorification of back pack hunting it’s not the case. It is funny though when some of these billy bad asses kill a bull 8-10 miles in and think now what. I welcome a full draw system.

Take a look at how few limited elk units are available in Western Colorado. Not many unit options for thousands upon thousands of hunters to apply for!

I really feel for the thousands of hunters that are in limbo-land with Colo pref pts. I also feel for the younger generation that will likely never have a chance to draw high demand limited tags unless more limited units are available.

The other benefit with going to all limited elk units is that those that want to hunt bull elk will be required to burn rather than accumulate pref pts with the current OTC system.

CPW OTC.jpg

Last edited:
Did you see trying to outlaw electronic calls to kill mountain lions. Ol Polis and his husband have their claws dug deep into the CPW.
Ahem, ”we” are going to get to vote on whether cats will be legal to kill at all. Care to guess how that will go?

And the reason there aren’t any “limited” elk units here on the west slope, is because they’re all OTC. Well, I suppose it just seems like all.

Please don’t underestimate our wildlife mismanagement efforts. It’s important so everyone can make an informed decision about where their tag soup comes from. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Take a look at how few limited elk units are available in Western Colorado. Not many unit options for thousands upon thousands of hunters to apply for!

I really feel for the thousands of hunters that are in limbo-land with Colo pref pts. I also feel for the younger generation that will likely never have a chance to draw high demand limited tags unless more limited units are available.

The other benefit with going to all limited elk units is that those that want to hunt bull elk will be required to burn rather than accumulate pref pts with the current OTC system.

View attachment 132059
My boys will hunt 76 before they are 20, most likely. But we don't need high demand limited tags. We have so many potential hunts I run out of time and money. But we don't need those easy hunts. Resident odds really haven't changed much. Nonresident odds don't concern me.

Finally got the units and hunt codes figured out by searching the hunt codes in the pdf that like 1000 pages long.

I noticed a few 3rd rifle hunt had slightly better draw odds than 2nd rifle, is there a specific reason other than weather? Some of these units are in the south west corner of the state

Finally got the units and hunt codes figured out by searching the hunt codes in the pdf that like 1000 pages long.

I noticed a few 3rd rifle hunt had slightly better draw odds than 2nd rifle, is there a specific reason other than weather? Some of these units are in the south west corner of the state
Sometimes it is because units are more transition/ migration units, some units are more rut units, and sometimes I think it’s because folks are scared of 3rd season weather and it’s a bit more of a curve ball than second… although lately weather is a coin flip last 3 years hunted 3rd and two of them I was hunting in a t-shirt during the day…

Sometimes it is because units are more transition/ migration units, some units are more rut units, and sometimes I think it’s because folks are scared of 3rd season weather and it’s a bit more of a curve ball than second… although lately weather is a coin flip last 3 years hunted 3rd and two of them I was hunting in a t-shirt during the day…
Thank you! Some of these units are around more mountains areas and some are more desert so that makes sense

Last edited:
hopefully 4th season tags for the wide and I... Time to cash out we waited to long should of drawn out a few years ago...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom