25-06 for mulies

I

IdahoCowboy

I just received a new Ruger 77 in 25-06. I am thinking of using it for deer this fall. This thing is a real tack driver. Any load suggestions would be appreciated.

I load a 120 grain Nosler part. and IMR 4350. I sacraficed a little speed by going with the 120's but I wanted more energy. Very accurate and devastating.

I dont have any load suggestions for you, but I wanted to say congrats on being the owner of a fine new rifle. Good luck in your hunts this fall.

My Remington likes IMR 4350 for 87 gr coyote violators, IMR 4831 with 100gr loads and for the 117 & 120's It likes IMR 7828 loaded heavy.
So far I've only run into trouble finding a "sweet" load for Barnes Bullets and 75 gr Hornadys. All other variatys I've tryed do well. Some very well...;-)

Howdy,

Congrats on the purchase of a fine firearm.

During our family hunting trip to Colorado in 2000, my Dad and my youngest brother both used the same Ruger model 77 in .25-06 to kill their bucks. Dad had purchased it only a month before we left, and used factory ammo. I'm sorry, I don't recall which brand, just that it was 120 gr. bullets. Dad made the longest shot, and it was a one shot kill! My younger brother used two shots, but the deer was dead on its feet for the second. It (.25-06) seemed to work extremely well. Hope yours does for you also.

Coach

I own the same gun in 300 Win Mag, 223 and 22 calibers. I love each of them. The only complaint I have with the Rugers are their triggers. They don't have any adjustments on them. They come from the factory with anywhere from 7-9 pounds and a half mile of creep! I am not sure were you are but I know a guy that can make your Ruger trigger feel like a dream. He has had lots of practice on my 3 guns. I beleive he worked on the 223 three times, the 300 four times and the 22 only twice. On the 300 he went to far once and we had to replace some parts. He chopped it down to only 7 ounces. I shot it off the bench for a couple of weeks but had to have him stiffen it back up to hunt with. All 3 triggers have zero creep and are now within ounces of 2 3/4 pounds. I wouldn't change a thing now. Give me a yell if you are interested.

NvrEnuf

My favorite pet load is a 100 grain Ballistic tip backed by 53 grains of IMR4831, and a magnum primer. They generally don't even know what hit em'...

Idahocowboy;
I have used the 25-06 for the past 20 years. Most 25-06's are real tack drivers out of the box. I have taken over 30 deer and that many antelope with my 25-06. Except for one, all were one shot kills from 50 yards to 500 yards. My favorite load is rem. cases, CCI primers, IMR 4350 powder, and Sierra 120 gr. game king bullet. Start at 48 grains of powder and work up to 50 grains. My best load is at 49 grains and the rifle will shoot 3/4 inch groups all day with several around or under 1/2 inch.

RELH

P.S.
Let me know how your load developement works out.

Don't have a 25-06 or any load suggestions. But congrats and good luck. How are factory 25-06 bullet specs compared to the 30-06? More velocity? Flatter tradjectory? (Spell check!)

Michael

Micheal,

Both. Same case necked down, w/ a light lil' speedy bullet. In reality, it should have probably been named a 25 magnum or something similar, cause that's basicly what you get... Puts the schmaak down on deer, for sure... Have never seen an animal fall in it's tacks w/ the frequency that this lil' cartridge has done for me and my best friend...

IdahoCowboy, my buddy and I have been working out loads and working on accuracy of both our rifles for about 5 months or so know. My buddy bought a 25-06 and I decided to go with a .300 Win Mag. We finally worked up the best loads for each of our guns and started shooting at distances to see how each will perform. Beleive it or not my buddies 25-06 will shoot a 4.5" group at 600yds consistently:eek:! It usually shoots around 1/2 inch groups at 100yds. I can't beleive how accurate it is. My .300 ended up shooting inside 1 1/2" consistantly and usually a little better but we still have some bullet seating issues since my magazine is so short. Hopefully I can get it to go under an inch when we get things worked out but I don't think it's going to happen. The 25-06 lacks energy at long distances in my opinion but you can bet it will shoot were you point it! If you are interested in all the load data he is using let me know and I will get it for you.

Good luck.

NvrEnuf

Hey NvrEnuf-
Try 78 Grains of IMR7828 with a good 180 grain bullet of your choice plus Fed 215 primers. I like Sierra Pro-Hunters and also Speer Grand Slam 180 grain bullets.
With a good 24" barrel you will be at around 3050FPS.
(NOTE)****May wish to start a little lower like 75 grains to start but all .300 Winchester Magnums I have had shot this particular load with numerous different 180 grain bullets extremely well.

Just a thought.
Best,
Jerry

I too own a 25-06 Ruger M77 with a heavy bull barrel, While I'm not a reloader, I've used remington factory loads, 117 grs I believe for antelope and mulies. While the gun isn't one you want to shoulder all day, it's extremely accurate and has accounted for both mulies and speedgoats.

Coot

Hey if you just want to buy a factory load that will knock'em dead everytime try the Federal premium with 100 gr. Barnes XLC bullet. If you like reloading try the Nosler partition 115 gr. loaded behind 58gr. of h-1000. Both of these are accurate and deadly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom