.270 WSM vs. .280 REM for Elk

oklahunter

I am not a ballastics person and was needing opinions on these two cartidges. I would be shooting a Federal Premium 160gr Trophy Bonded Tip out of the .280 and a Federal Premium 140gr Accubond out of the .270 WSM. The difference in velocity at 400 yards is 2447 from the 270 WSM vs. 2138 from the 280. The difference in energy AT 400 yards is 1862 from the 270 WSM vs. 1624 from the 280. 400 yards is the longest shot I would feel comfortable taking is why I give the numbers at that distance. Any advice would be welcomed because if the .270 WSM is a clear winner I would have to buy a new gun. I am a little recoil sensitive so I don't want any bigger gun even though I know I am limiting myself.
Also, if I need to buy a new gun any suggestions as to the manufacturer you would suggest.

Just to let you know I guess my answer will be biased:) But its tough to beat a .280Rem shooting 140 TSX ammo - which I know you didn't mention but if it where me shooting at elk thats what I'd have loaded in my rifle. Again biased but I see no weakness in that caliber/bullet combo.

As far as rifle, pick one that fits you the best - guess some will depend on what style of hunting you do - do you need a Mtn rifle or is weight not that big an issue?? Again my answer is biased since I tend to like Remingtons - not saying they are the best but they fit me best. A couple to consider is they have a new Stainless Mtn rifle for 2012 that will be chambered in .280Rem, or one that costs less and can be a great starter rifle that if you drop it in a McMillan you could have a great rifle is the XCR II in .280Rem.

But lots of good stuff out there, I'm sure others will chime in.

Hard to pick between those two. With current bullets on the market I would choose the .280 but some have posted about a 170gr Berger VLD in .277 coming out soon, that would be interesting to shoot out of the 270wsm.

If you are going to limit your shots to 400 yards and you are recoil sensitive I would definitely stick with the .280 REM. I have shot both and the difference in recoil is very noticeable to me. The .270 WSM is a greatcaliber but if you already have the .280 it will do you just fine. Of course, that being said a guy can NEVER have too many guns.

If 400 yards is your max, I would stay with the 280.

270 wsm is great, but I don't think you need to go and switch if you are maxed at 400.

I own a 280.

I have a 300 wsm and use 150 grain bullets, it kicks much more than my 280 and they are the same rifles.

Just my thoughts.

I have a 280 mountian rifle and love it. No need for anything else. I would stay with the 280.

BRUSE
US Army proudly serving

I got them both, tuff call. If i had a 280 Rem and didn't think it was big or good enough for Elk, i'd go clean up to the .338 Win Mag and have a break installed. So what if you have to wear ear protection when hunting or at the range. A guy probably should anyway!

270WSM is a neat cartridge, i love mine, but an elk ain't gonna know the difference between it and a 280 if he's hit well.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

i just want to thank everyone that gave me the advice. hands down i think i should stay with my 280.
Thanks again!!

Phil

My .280 has taken 6 elk (none by me) Kids shooting either a 140 gr. or 150 gr Barnes TSX. Never lost one, or had one run more than a couple of yards. Seems to drop them as well as my .338. Just wouldn't take a bad body angle shot with the .280.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom