2b Sept archery mule deer advice and stories

Norman13

This year I'll be up in 2b for early mule deer archery. I'd love to read about your experiences and advice for this hunt.

Last hunt I had was 21b archery and I wasn't able to seal the deal. Had a couple good looks but I wasn't 100% confident that my shot would be a clean quick kill so I held off.

Hoping for different results this year. As far as I understand, this hunt will be for the resident deer population and not the migration group. I'm assuming this will make things a little more difficult. I'm currently looking at some spots near the North / Eastern border of the unit as well as south eastern below the highway.

Feel free to post here or send me a pm.

Plenty of room to camp in the NF . My advise would be as follows. Take tire chains and dont go in there with a camper if there is any chance of rain. The roads are nasty esp south of the highway off j 10 . Ive shot some deer in there off water. there is not natural watershed there so anything they have is dirt or trick tanks . and they use them .

So what do you do when you hunt as far as camp goes? I think I'm going to try to camp wherever I am at the event of the day instead of having a base camp or a cabin or something. Have any experience with that?

Water will be your biggest concern, I always hunted from the truck after driving from a base camp to where I'd hunt.

Plenty of room to camp in the NF . My advise would be as follows. Take tire chains and dont go in there with a camper if there is any chance of rain. The roads are nasty esp south of the highway off j 10 . Ive shot some deer in there off water. there is not natural watershed there so anything they have is dirt or trick tanks . and they use them .
Water will be your biggest concern, I always hunted from the truck after driving from a base camp to where I'd hunt.
Looks like I'll be checking out springs and watering holes. If I find some good water while scouting now will there be a good chance it'll be there in September or are they ever changing?

Looks like I'll be checking out springs and watering holes. If I find some good water while scouting now will there be a good chance it'll be there in September or are they ever changing?

By water, I mean bring plenty with you. There are no potable water sources in Unit 2B.

The water situation is fluid in this state. GOod monsoon Tanks get full. Bad monsson = no water so you will have to cast a wider net . There is deer there and the resident herd isnt that small as many would lead you to belive. Start near the bottom of FR 315 in low pinion juniper country. Be prepared for rapid monsoon showers and have the equipment to get your ass unstuck should you run into rain. this area is far away from any convienences like gas and water so plan accordingly .

By water, I mean bring plenty with you. There are no potable water sources in Unit 2B.
IMG_2254.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg

IMG_2256.jpeg

I can still taste it lol

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom