2nd season Full moon

jbendy

Checking the calendar for oct. the full moon phase comes during the second season. I would like to know if any of you guys and gals change your hunting dates to avoid this time. I know its not possible with draw tags, but what about otc tags. Would like to know your opinion. Thanks and good luck this fall.

Jim

yes, we 3rd season guys hit it perfect this year during the dark of the moon. Did I plan it that way? No, but I was aware of it.

We used to worry about it but have had a couple real good years where we both tagged out on elk during a full moon. One of the years we didn't even have snow. Don't worry too much anymore.

In general the full moon is over-hyped a lot. Especially in OTC units. The animals are far more responsive to pressure, weather, etc. Than the moon. I fully understand that he moon is supposed to make them more active at night and thus lay more during the day, but the animals feed all night regardless of moon or not.

I would not change a single thing. In fact I would argue that the full moon in most of Colorado is helpful as the animals will migrate more during the night and be less likely to get interrupted. Thus if you are hunting lower elevations, you will actually see more animals than with out. The full moon does not bother me at all.

I look at the moon phases just so I know, but I dang sure wouldn't plan my hunt around them unless you can and it works out more conveniently to do so. If given the choice, sure, play the moon phases. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

This is a fairly broad question...other than the fact that you mentioned 2nd season rifle. A full moon in the Eastern Plains or pure sagebrush/rimrock country may not matter. If your unit has lots of thick pine or oakbrush the full moon may make a difference.

If it snows and is overcast a full moon may not matter. If it is 85 degrees with no clouds a full moon will make it a lot tougher hunt. If it is a OTC elk unit with hunters running up and down ever road and trail spooking game vs a limited unit with hardly any hunting pressure...guess when the mature bucks will come out of hiding?

Generally speaking the toughest time to hunt muledeer is from the time they shed their velvet in mid Sept until the rut kicks in...in mid to late Nov. With that said you aren't doing yourself any favors hunting full moon. If it happens to be warm and dry the deer...especially monster bucks will likely be super tough to find in Oct.

If it were me and I was waiting for a once in a lifetime type tag I would rather wait an extra year and hunt no moon. If it is a tag you can likely draw often..what the heck..give it a try!

They are still there, its not like they disappear. Never pay attention to the full moon. Just hunt.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

One time in 3rd season, we hit the full moon combined with hot, dry, sunny weather. Not a cloud in the sky the whole week and t-shirt temperatures in the afternoons. We didn't do well and there was no sign whatsoever of the approaching rut. Was the moon a big factor or was it the other conditions? I don't know, but ever since then, I've been aware of it.

Well if it was in the time frame around 97-99. I forget which it was, but that year was so hot and dry the first week of Nov. everyone struggled. I remember wearing my tennis shoes to hunt in at 9,000 feet. It was definitely temps that year. A little cold and snow would have changed it a lot more than the moon. I am sorry but deer and elk will be out all night and feed. They may not travel as much ground in a dark phase vs full but they will still be up all night stuffing themselves.

Use the moon to your advantage, get up at 2 am and start shadowing the herd. Keep your distance but keep up with them and you will be better situated come first light.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom