3 Points- what would U do?

Rodzilla_v

Hi All, just wanted to ask a few folks here what would they do with 3 Cali points? I only have a few days left to apply, debating putting in for X6B, X3A, or X9A, but I am not sure. I was hoping to save enough points to hunt X7B, but with no luck in the out of State Draws (CO, UT, NM, NV) I really want to get out this year. I always get the D3-D5 tag second choice, but rarely do any good with it.... Just looking some thoughts/opinions? I can always keep building points, but already playing the points game in too many states.

Thank you,

Rodzilla

I know nothing of X-9's. X3A is a good 2-3 years away. if you want to hunt, take a better look at the drawing stats in the booklet about X-2, X3B, and the X-6's. I ain't hunted none of them in years but live fairly close by and most guys i know that hunt them, except X3B, get their bucks.

The first year in a new area can be tough unless you go with someone who has been hunting the area a lot.

Good luck!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The X9's hold some smokers but some live in the park until after season. I hunted the X9A archery hunt quite awhile ago..2002 I think and had a real fun hunt. Ended up killing a forkie but was stoked anyhow.

This year I have 8 points going into the draw for Bass hill (fingers crossed). After I draw I plan on trying for X2 with my dad or late season C- that way I can hunt each year! Although if I happen to gain a few points I would go for X9B... I think I am still tough enough to hunt it.

Hope you get what your looking for!

Joey, you are right X3A is a long ways away, I was thinking X3B, and wrote X3A by accident. Very true what you say, learning a new area is the hardest part, once you know the land chances at getting a buck increase. I would definetly need to do some scouting if I draw...I am between X6b and X9A, just because I tagged along on some hunts in those areas as a kid, but I really dont recall them much. I also used to fish in Davis lake on X6B as a kid, and by Convict lake on X9A, both have stellar trout fishing. I live in Sacramento so X6B would be a closer, but I dont mind driving. (I drove 17 hours for a 2 day Wyoming hunt a few years ago).

Schmalie79, I have also heard X9B is good, but a very-very tough hunt (meaning one has to be in stellar shape to do it some justice), never considered it... Good luck drawing the Bass Hill tag!

Going back to google earth for now... some hard choices to make!

seems like I see lots of deer on here and other sites from 9a not big but lots of them,with a decent one every now and then.With 6b I dont see nearly as many bucks but they are nice bucks,without haveing the tag numbers per unit in front of me I would guess they give out a lot more tags for 9a and thats why I see more bucks killed there.

6X7, thats is very good observation, majority of the pics and posting I have seen have been of forkies getting smaked on opener out of X9A, with an occasional 4X4. I guess it all depends on level of expectation and how badly one wants meat in the Freezer. I still have some Antelope from last year, but I will be getting low by fall. But I have killed my fair share of forkies and a teen growing up.

Those Northern CaliBucks can get pretty big, here is a pic of my 015 NV buck from a few years back (Dec Hunt), I think this buck would have come out of X-5B area before migrating to NV. I love hunting them on the sage, but I dont think I have the patience to wait 4 more years for a X5B tag. I would love another shot at a 4X4 that is why I am building points everywhere, 5 points in NV,CO,UT, and 4 in WY, but only 3 in Cali.

24462.jpg

Thanks for the Input... if anybody else has any please feal free to share or PM.. Thank you, -Zilla

Thats a good buck! Looks like he has California genetics. If I were you I'd apply for goodale, I think everybody should apply for goodale............

YOU DID NOT DRAW NEVADA..with 5 pts and tag increases!
x2 period! their smoker buck in all those zone just need to work for them and get off the roads!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom