30-378 Accumarc

W

Willy_P

I am considering going to a Weatherby in 30-378 with the accubrake on it. Anyone want to give me an idea about what kind of accuracy I can expect out of one of these rifles?? I am currently shooting an old Ruger M77RS in 30-06 and with my handloads I have gotten 1 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 300 yards with it. As you can imagine it is hard for me to change rifles. I'm also wondering how much recoil to expect from the Weatherby? My current 06 is light with no recoil pad and a 180 in it full tilt is the end of what I would call tollerable recoil. IF I want punished I'll stick a turkey load in my 3 1/2" 12 ga. From the looks of load info I am looking at shooting 180 or 190 grainers in the 378 if it likes them.

TIA,
Pat

Here's something to consider. In rifles with "hunting length" barrels, i.e. 24 to 26 inches, the .300 RUM is ballistically equal to the .30-.378 while using less powder. Someone here will surely cry foul, but the fact is they are within 25 to 50 fps 0f each other with these barrel lengths. I know because a buddy of mine and I loaded the same bullet in these two rifles, with 26 inch barrels, and I actualy held a slight advantage in velocity with my RUM. The big Weatherby loves barrels 30 or even 32 inches. Although the RUM is no slouch with a long barrel. If money is not an issue, and a loooong barrel is in your future, get the Weatherby. I would at least give the .300 RUM a look. mtmuley

I shoot this gun, do you reload? if so you can expect from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inch groups, i shoot a 180 grain barnes at 3450 fps, and with the break you can expect less recoil than your '06. muley, i agree the RUM is a great round but, you must get a percent of the earnings on evey gun sold, cause you try to sell them to evryone on here! dont get in a wad now just a poke at fun!

Nope, no percentage. The .30-378 is awesome. The longer barrel is the key. I looked at both VERY closely before I bought my RUM. And, yeah, if you want a big .30 magnum, the .300 RUM is tough to beat. If I had more money, we would be talking about a Warbird. And if you have the cash to mess with a Weatherby, for a few more bucks a Lazzeroni could be had. The one major fact about the .300 RUM is it is the most affordable and easy to load for .30 magnum while still providing high velocity. I don't understand why one would use a .30-378 when a RUM does the same thing with less recoil, powder expense. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-08 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]I have looked at the RUM and I'm just not seeing the things I want in the rifle itself in the Remington line without going to the custom route. Honestly I would do a Christensen if I had that amount of cash to lay out but 4 bills just isn't in the retirement budget! Well unless I want to look at the rifle and not go west each year :) Now I will admit I didn't look to see if Weatherby chambers for the RUM. If I was planning on just deer and antelope I think I would drop in caliber but I am hoping to get enough time in some areas of the west to do an elk hunt in a few years. I am switching areas due to not being able to draw a deer tag often enough and an elk tag on that mountain is like looking for gold here in the east. Very rare!!! Any suggestions on a brand in the RUM cartridge??? with a break and sub moa steel?? Oh and yes I have been reloading since the late 70's. Handgun, rifle and shotgun.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-08 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]I love the 30-378, and not that the accumark isnt a great gun, but for the price of the cheapest model 700 off the shelf you could install a custom trigger, stock of your choice and a muzzle break,and still be around the price of the weatherby, and they are normally shooters! so on brands, just get an ugly plastic stocked stainless 700 and build what you want out of it. or stick to what you wanted to get in first place, the 30-378, i don't think the extra 15 grains of powder per shot will break the bank!

I'm also looking to see if I can get a price on one of the two cartridges in an HS Precision. I'm not sure what the hunting rifles run but is seemed I remember a tactical model for close to 3K msrp. I agree 15 gr. of powder isn't an issue. Finding a trusted Smith around here might be an issue for the muzzle brake though. I have time while I save up the bucks for the gun to look before I leap, that is what asking here was all about. Seems there are more actual hunters here with 378's than anywhere. Actually I just remembered I know of a guy in ID that might consider selling his rifle. I need to get a phone number and make a call, I think???

I am considering going to the 378 for a little more reach in the mountains for mule deer and for an elk rifle. Truth be told I am plenty confident with my 06 out to 500 or a little more for mule deer and it has enough hit for that range but I would like something a little flatter. My 22" bbl on the 06 leaves a little to be desired in the velocity dept. Could I do the things I want with a smaller 30? I think so but since I hand load I can load to the velocity I want in the big 30's as long as I get the accuracy I want and can do my part in shooting it to it's potential.

I"m a 30-378 lover, They are awesome guns to shoot and the on downrange they really rule.
Set up with a BDC on a leupold scope 4.5 x 14 x 50 and you can and will be a longrange shooter Game or targets I love seeing those holes at 700 and 800 yds.

Game
Coyote 782 yds(hope to push that out farther this year)
Deer 503 yds
Elk 504 yds

Target
300 yds 3" to 7" group out to and including 700 yds.
400 yds
500 yds
600 yds
700 yds 7in group with 7 shots (unbeliveable day)
825 yds 4 shots 12" group
1000 yds Off by 8" low 11" 3 shot group
I have mine setup for the 165 gr 3600fps 26" barrel

Gator I expected to hear from you before now :) I was suprised to see you are tossing 165's out of the cartridge. Why so light a slug?? Are you having barrels in a different twist than standard used on your rifles?? Seems twists would benefit 180 to 220 gr. pills. I would be interested to hear how barrels are holding up for you.

I reload the .300 Wthby. I shoot 180 grain accubonds at 3428 fps (essentially 30-378 velocity). I use the ballistic-drop compensating scope and do well at great distances. I'm getting 1 3/8" groups at 300 yards. I've put two (one top and one bottom) barrel deresonators on the gun. I think they help.

I have a 26" barrel. My best buddy gets very similar groupings with 168 grain bullets....slightly higher velocities.

The last couple of years I have been buying my ammo from
Conley Precision Cartridge.
I use the 165's because they was the most accurate in the 2 guns I use, I have seen any different in the barrel wear at all.

I will take accurate over weigh (180) all the animals I have killed haven't knew the different.

Now I have 338-378 that just loves the 200 gr. But I haven't set it up yet, I brought it from a friend and when he owned it the gun shoot some groups that was out of this World, so I hope to get it setup next year with the same scope setup or very close to it as I have on 30-378.

i have this gun and shoot it just for fun on coyotes and was thinking about maybe taking it elk hunting this year or next year. i love the gun its very flat shooting and it hardly kicks at all with that accubrake. although very loud though! i also have a 300 rum and think its a good round also but i just like my 30-378 way better. if you dont reload i would say go with the 300 rum. weatherby ammo for this round is outragous.

RE: 30-378 Accumark

I totally agree, don't get this gun if you don't reload. Otherwise it's about $4.00 every time you pull the trigger.

If you reload, you can do it for about $1.00 per round, less if you use cheaper bullets/primers/powder.

My gun likes the 180 grain Accubonds the best.

It's a fun gun to shoot and one of the prettiest guns you'll see at the range.

Only complaint I have is it is PUNISHINGLY LOUD.

Use your hearing protection.

I get the punishingly loud part. I have a 460S&W and the guys on the benches beside me leave for a Coke till I am done shooting it!

>I totally agree, don't get this
>gun if you don't reload.
> Otherwise it's about $4.00
>every time you pull the
>trigger.
>
>If you reload, you can do
>it for about $1.00 per
>round, less if you use
>cheaper bullets/primers/powder.
>
>My gun likes the 180 grain
>Accubonds the best.
>
>It's a fun gun to shoot
>and one of the prettiest
>guns you'll see at the
>range.
>
>Only complaint I have is it
>is PUNISHINGLY LOUD.
>
>Use your hearing protection.

Current price for off the shelf 30-378 ammo is $102 per box of twenty. I know that I went to public schools for my education but that is over $5 per shot.

I reload shooting Sierra Match Kings. If I can get 4 shots per piece of brass, it still costs me $3.30 per round. If you have some contacts that get me reloading supplies cheap enough to load for a buck per shot, please share it. I could use the savings.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

The above link will help you figure out exactly what it is you are spending for reloads.

MtMuley is exactly right. The .300 RUM is neck and neck with big weatherby from 26" barrels and light bullets (165 & 180). But, the big Bea really starts to shine with the heavier bullets (200, 220, even 240) and a little longer barrels (28"-30").

A heavy .30 cal bullet with its higher BC will buck the wind much better, drop less, and carry more energy down range than the lighter bullets making it a better choice for long range shooting that the .300 RUM. Don't get me wrong...the RUM is still excellent for LR shooting but the as the saying goes, a fast heavy bullet beats a fast light bullet every time. If you plan to shoot the 165 and 180 grain bullets, stay with the RUM.

I am seriously considering the accumark with an accubrake. How miserable is the noise? I had barnes put a muzzlebrake on a rifle of mine and shot it ONCE in the field without ear plugs and my ears rang for two days . I have shot a Christensen arms rifle with a brake and the noise didn't bother me. I know it is loud, would the noise distract you while shooting at a 30 inch buck?

I've shot only one time without hearing protection at game. I don't recall the noise being too bad....however, I do routinely use hearing protection while shooting the accumark W/brake

DO NOT fire a 30/378 with a brake without hearing protection! I was entered in a 400 yd deer target shoot last fall, and shot beside one. The shoot was held at a range where the benches were under a pavilion. Un-friggin real how much blast comes from one of those babies. I own and opperate a 300 RUM, and it is a shooter. I am amazed with the size of the groups this thing will produce. 5 shots in one big hole at 100yds. Very pleased with the accuracy. I am loading 180 and 200gr in it and am totally thrilled with it's performance. The 30/378 mentioned above seemed to be a light recoiling rig. The brake obviously was doing it's job. I watched lots of rounds go down range from it that day. Very little muzzle jump, and it didn't come back too far either. My Remmy 700 in 300Ultra is a brutal beast with full power 200gr loads. Not for the recoil sensitive. Just for those who are wondering, I did win the match that day. I was using my father-in-laws old BDL in 25/06. Yep, got a perfictly good 300 Ultra at home and take an old 25-Otter to a 400yd shoot. I just wanted to shoot his old rifle for old time sake. I gotta tell you. I was one happy camper. That 30/378 was a shooting machine no doubt. Like I said though, WEAR PROTECTION, while at the range at least! I ended up putting plugs under my muffs that day to shoot with that fella. They are loud!

At the range there is no question about wearing hearing protection. I would not want to hunt with worrying about hearing protection. I am wondering how punishing the noise is for one or maybe two shots at game. I hate being beside my Brother-in-law when he shoots his Christensen 300 ultra with a brake. But I shot a deer with it and it did not bother me a bit.

Ringing ears indicates hearing damage. You might be able to "tolerate" it for a couple of shots but your ears will still be ringing for 24 hours.

I speak from personal experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom