30-378 shooters in Central AZ??

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Anybody shoot a 30-378 in the Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff areas?

A 30-378 is my top choice for my next gun; but I've never shot one before. I've shot big .33 and .375 cals; but haven't had the "pleasure" of shooting this caliber.

Basically, I just want see what the recoil is like...I know, I know, I can read the charts all day long on what it "feels like" with a brake or no brake (not to mention the thread on the General Forum). But, I wont really know if I can handle it until I try it first hand. I just want to see what it's like before I drop $1500!!!

Anyway, I'll buy the box of your preferred factory loads (I'm looking to load for 200gr), or compensate you for handloads. And hell, I'll even buy you lunch for your time and picking your brain. I live in PHX; but would be willing to swing down to Tucson or up to Flag if needed.

Thanks
Barrett Geist

Gotcha. I think you shot me a PM a while back.

Are you goin shooting anytime soon? I'm free the next couple weekends so I could meet you down at your range or somewhere close to you or whatever is convenient.

Thanks, and I appreciate the reply. Shoot me a PM or [[email protected]]

Barrett Geist

Barrett, I have one in the Phoenix area you could shoot. My only concern would be giving you an accurate comparison on the one you plan to buy. Mine is a custom by McMillan bros that weighs a little more than the factory rifle. Recoil is not an issue at all with this gun. Let me know

TAGATTRACTER
What's your ballpark on the weight?
A fully loaded Accumark with a +-1 pound scope (sorry Nightforce guys) on it would put it in at around 10 lbs.

I'm thinking if you're under 15 lbs it should be a decent comparison?

Thanks, and let me know what you think
Barrett Geist
[[email protected]]

It weighs 11 lbs 9 oz. The Muzzle break is not a stocker either. Your welcome to shoot it but be aware the Weatherby may be a little different. Should all be close enough to get the feel for recoil. They really are a sweet shooting round. I am out of town the next 2 weekends but am wide open after that or we could meet up after work one evening if that works for you.

If you haed out to disneyland you can shoot mine I couple of them a Sako and 2 Wthby.
I think you will like the gun.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I appreciate it Gator! TagAttracter is gonna meet me next week up at Ben Avery, so I should get a good idea of what I'm working with then.

They let you have guns down in SoCal?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-09 AT 10:06AM (MST)[p]Met up with TagAttracter yesterday up at the range. Talk about a sweet rifle...geeeezzzz.. I'll let you brag about it if you want to Jim...but it was something else and I thank you for letting me shoot it.

The rifle weighed a couple pounds over the Accumark, since it had a longer tube and a solid scope on it. It also had a perm brake too that was very efficient, not too loud, and allowed for virtually no muzzle jump. I shot 5 reloads with 180gr Partitions without even trying, and got about a 1.5 inch group at 100yards. Considering I haven't shot a rifle in about a year, I have no doubt I could decrease that group with some time and practice. I'm sure Jim can get easy subMOA.

The recoil was not as bad as everybody says. Mind you it had the brake on it, and I was shooting some super hot 180s; but I would say it was equivelant to a .30.06 or so. I'm sure with some hot 200s, it might add to that recoil just a bit; but, it was an extremely tolerable gun to shoot. I don't think I would have any problem going through a few boxes in a day.

Thanks again Jim for letting me shoot your rifle. It gave me a good taste of the round and I will take it into account when it comes time to buy!!!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom