.300 RUM V.S. .300 Win Mag.

dgwoody

I know this is kind of a spin off of the "best all around rifle" thred, but I'm just trying to decide between these two. I'm not worried about recoil and I probably won't do anything with a muzzle break. I've shot the .300 RUM without a break and am fine with it. I probably will have my shells reloaded, but won't do it myself, I have 3 close friends who load.

For background, I usually make one big purchase per year, last year I got a 1911, this year I want a rifle. I prodominently bow hunt and the only rifle I have now is a 30-30 lever action. I would use the rifle mostly for cow elk hunts, spot and stalk bear hunts and some long range plinking and coyote hunting. Whatever I buy will be a in a Remington 700, either an XCR or Sendero. What should I buy?

Geez, I know its not one of the choices but I'd get 7mm RM. Really I'd get a .270 or an 06, but I can't go too far from the Mag theme.

I gotta ask, a 300 mag, or UM, for plinking and yotes??? You just don't send 180 grain bullets skipping across the desert.

Pelt damage is somewhat exessive, but a 125 gr Ballistic Tip at almost 4000 fps is a great coyote load. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-10 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p]Both are excellent cartridges. But here's the factors to consider 1) recoil 2)cost ammunition componets 3)accuracy (which one do you shoot the best comfortably) 4)Barrel life slightly less in the RUM 5)availabilty of componets 6)trajectory 7)Barrel length and gun weight for portability with your physical size

I'd write down the plusses and minuses for you regarding these factors and how they fit into your lifestyle. If you find yourself leaning one way or the other buy the gun that suits your needs and shooting style. The .300RUM is a hell of a cartridge and if you can shoot it and don't have any issues regarding the above buy it you will be delighted. If not buy a .300 Winny Mag and you'll find it will be a gun that you'll find as versatile as they come and will serve you the rest of your life and you won't have any regrets. You can't go wrong with either one and they both will serve you well. Only you can decide what will work the best for you where you hunt for your needs. If you buy the one that works the best with/for you you'll be inclined to use it more and won't part with it on down the road. 2 great choices that's for sure and i know guys that own either one of them and think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

All the 300 mags are good, I don't think there is a bad choice and the differences are not major for most hunting situations.

I can get 3200 fps out my 300 win mag with a 180 and that's good enough for me, if you really think you need more then you'l have to move up to gain a little.

Pelt damage is somewhat exessive, but a 125 gr Ballistic Tip at almost 4000 fps is a great coyote load. mtmuley

I picture a mushroom cloud of fur drifting away in the breeze.:)

I used to shoot at prairie dogs with my .300. 130 hp; they either flipped in the air about 10 feet or they darn near vaporized.

>Pelt damage is somewhat exessive, but
>a 125 gr Ballistic Tip
>at almost 4000 fps is
>a great coyote load. mtmuley
>
>
>
>I picture a mushroom cloud of
>fur drifting away in the
>breeze.:)

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom