300 Ultra without a break?

Coyote_chaser

I am looking at a new gun, I am not a big guy do you think a 300 Ultra without a break will pack a wallop? I have shot a 300 win mag for quite awhile but sold it a few years ago. Who shoots one without a break?

I shoot my 30-378 without the brake often. It depends on the guy I guess. they do pack a punch, but are manageable

Stock design has alot to do with felt recoil. I've shot some 270 winchesters that kicked like a ba$tard mule.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I shoot a .338 without a brake I think you just need to shoot it enough to get used to it!

Your size has nothing to do with how you can handle recoil. I knew a woman that weighted 120 lbs. and stood 5'-4" and used a Weatherby 460 to take the big five in Africa.

Just as one member above stated, stock design will be the main factor on how much the rifle seems to recoil to you. You want a stock that has very little drop at the heel and comb and larger area in the butt for a good wide recoil absorbing recoil pad. It will have a tendency to push your shoulder straight back and not knock the crap out of your cheek. A good wide pad will spread the recoil over a larger area of your shoulder.

I have shot 30-06 rifles that had terrible recoil and gave me a headache after 20 rounds at the bench and magnums that were a pleasure to shoot.
I have a Siamese Mauser that has been converted to 45-70 and a good straight sporter stock that has very little drop. Damn good recoil pad also. I have loaded that gun up with loads that were not far behind a 458 Winchester Magnum and fired 20 or more rounds from the bench without any major problems and no headache due to excessive recoil knocking the crap out of my cheekbone.

RELH

Shooting a 300rum without a break is the least concern imo. Sure anyone can be tuff and take it. More concern is subconsciously developing a flinch before you pull the trigger. Given the later, I would break it and not chance a bad habit.

Shooting a 300 ultra without a break is all fine and dandy until your laying prone shooting uphill. then your face is going to bleed! I speak from experience! :)

+ 1 with rutN. You'd have a hard time getting over a flinch. A 300 RUM kicks like a lightweight 300 Weatherby....... pretty sharp.

smaller guys believe it or not can often handle recoil better than a larger guy because they move with the recoil rather than just absorb it(at least if you're standing or sitting).

Monte Carlo stocks are usually better for reducing felt recoil than a straight comb stock. Cheap, light, hollow, tupperware stocks aren't the best for reducing felt recoil either.

It made my shoulder blades clap in the back so I put a break on it. Others are tougher than me!!

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

I've been using a .300 RUM for 11 years without a brake. Only you can determine if the rifle can be fired accurately without one. Unless using one for extended long range sessions, I don't see the need. If you need a brake, stay with the .300 Win. mtmuley

I dont want a break cause I dont want to have to worry about putting ear plugs in each time I shoot. I will have to think about it for a bit!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p]I broke my 300 rum in without a brake and took It to the gun smith right after I was done. As far as ear plugs go, if your the shooter it really isn't much different at all. The guys beside you won't care much for you though. You should never shoot without hearing protection.

Shoot a lighter bullet if worried about the kick. 150gr or 165gr are not really that bad. I exclusively hunt deer with mine so I shoot 165s. Put a coat on to shoot it over the bench. It will help a little. You will not feel it shooting at game.

I wouldn't brake a 300 the bark is worse than the bite if you install one. the 338 RUM is another story, I won't even shoot mine.

>Use a Lead Sled to sight
>it in. You will never
>feel the kick when hunting.
>

....and anyone else close by during the battle will appreciate no brake....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

300 ultra is a pain when just shooting or sighting in, it doe's pack a punch. When you draw down on a critter though it will darn sure do the job and you won't feel a thing !!

>300 ultra is a pain when
>just shooting or sighting in,
>it doe's pack a punch.
> When you draw down
>on a critter though it
>will darn sure do the
>job and you won't feel
>a thing !!

But the flinch you developed while practicing dont just go away at the sight of a big game animal...I'd dare say those bad habits are magnified..

I have a 300 RUM and a 338 win mag. The 300 kicks quite a bit worse than the 338. I've never considered putting any kind of break on my 338, but have given some thought to doing it on the 300. I do not like breaks, and do not have any on my rifles, including on my 416 hoffman, but have thought about putting one my this 300.

If you cannot shoot a hunting rifle without a brake or a pillow between the rifle and your shoulder, I suggest taking up a new hobby instead of shooting big game. Buy some panties and high heels.

on my 300 i put a limb savers pad on the stock. it was amazing how much kick it took away. the butt pad is only like 40 bucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom