.338 vs 30-06

Buckfever

Looking at getting one of these two calibers for my big game hunting rifle. I mainly hunt mule deer and elk. What would you all recommend or what are the pros and cons of each? Any pointers would be super helpful. Also, how is the Howa brand?

Thanks!

I like the 30-06 because of the difference in the recoil. There are very few things a .338 will take down that a 30-06 will not.

Dillon

30-06 is a good caliber, especially if you do not want the bigger kick and is good for both Elk and Deer. It has killed more animals than any other gun and is never a bad choice. However, a .338 win is a great Elk caliber, it really has excellent knockdown and has plenty of distance. In the right gun, it can have a very managable recoil. It is my favorite caliber for bigger animals, and I still hunt deer with it as well.

I do not know much about the Howa, someone else may be able to provide some better info. Me personally, I like a little heavier gun for the 338. I have shot the ligher weight rifles, like a ruger light weight composite, that kicked like a mule. I have a weatherby mark v in the 338 and really like it. I have shot and like the Browning A-bolt as well.

If having to choose from one of those 2 calibers I would go with 30-06....As for a Howa, my Dad bought one last year and I can not get it to shoot very well at all. I would suggest a remington 700 sps.

The 30-06.....hands down. The ammo is MUCH cheaper, the recoil is less, it will shoot farther and flatter and comes in a greater variety of makes and models.

The .338 is more powerful and would be a better choice for the Alaskan bears. If you're hunting deer, elk, black bear and antelope in the lower 48, the 30-06 is the one you want. Before I got "fancy" and wanted to shoot 1000 yards, I shot a lot of each of those animals with a .270.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I own a 30-06, I love it. .30 Caliber bullets have by far the most versatility in available weights. The 30-06 kicks less than the .338 so you would be able to comfortably get more range time in to be an even better marksman. The lack of punishment would enable you to shoot without anticipating the harsher recoil. If you reload, the versatility of the 06 will really be shown and you can enhance the accuracy of your rifle. Bullets and powder/ brass are cheaper for 06. Hunting is about shot placement. Shooting should be enjoyable, not regretable.
With todays efficient powders and excellent bullets the good ole 06 is even better than before. Draw back: 06 is not a flat shootin cartridge. Much of that can be nullified w/ reloading and lesser recoil making for extended longer range shooting practice to know you and your rifles limitations, spotting scope/ stalking and calling elk or ratteling deer can also make the shots shorter and (damn) so much more exciting. I don't elk hunt but will be doing so in the future. If I were hunting in a state with elk and grizz I would definitely opt for .338 due to the heavier weight bullets/+powder = stopping power. I haven't heard anything good of Howa. I have Rem 700. Tikka T3 or Savage are very accurate out of box and not overly pricey. .300 win mag, WSM are right in the middle of 06/338. I pondered a .338 myself if I hunted Grizz area. I don't know what you're using now and what your like/ dislike are w/ it. That would make a difference in your choice. Hope it helps.

The 338 is a awesome elk cartridge ! Elk are big heavy boned animals. In reality if your are taking a broadside shot at 75 yards the 30 06 or the 338 gona do the job. But if you have finally got that trophy bull tag you have been waiting 15 plus years for and you have a bull quarter to you and you have to put one threw the shoulder ? Which gun would you rather have with you ? Ya I think the 338 win mag !
When I first got my 338 20 years ago ,it was just my elk rifle and I used my 30 06 for deer. But after a few years I started using my 338 for deer aswell.
I started using 200 grain or 225 bullets . Then I began reloading barnes 185 grain X bullets. The 338 shoots flatter and hits harder than the 30 06 period !
If you are a recoil sensitive person ,there are thing you can do to help that . If not suck it up it isn't going to hurt you .
John

I agree, my family and I used to shoot 270 win at elk and killed a lot of them. My dad twice had the dreadful experience of elk he thought he had properly killed get up and run off. Luckily, both times another happy hunter finished the 6 pts off and kept them as their prize. We upgraded to a 338 win in 1995 after the last bull ended up in another hunter's freezer and have never looked back. Granted, we have the proper set up and our guns do not kick hard compared to other 338 guns I have personally shot. I will say this, having dropped several elk with one bullet that did not take a single step, I will not go back to the 30-06 or 270 calibers unless I am hunting deer.

30-06 is a good caliber and so are the 300 mags. I happen to like the knockdown of the 338 win 225 gr bullets going 2,900 feet per second. To each, their own...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-10 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]One more vote for the .338. Hornady just came out with a new load that my Browning A-Bolt really likes, the Superformance 200gr SST. Hits with 1458 ft lbs of energy.........at 700 yards! Shoots flatter than my .270. I'm having Leupold make a target turret for my scope and I'll be plinking the metal at 1,000 yards. I will always use my .270 A-Bolt for deer and antelope, but the .338 gets the nod for elk and oryx. The three elk and two oryx that have been taken with my .338 haven't gone over 25 yards before piling up. It's pretty nice to look up over your scope and see legs kicking in the air. If elk is something you plan on doing for sure, then I would get the .338. You can always get a .270 later for the smaller stuff if you want to spend less on ammo and take less recoil. Pretty hard to get a 30-06 to shoot as flat as a .270 and when you get out past 350 yards you will definitely tell the difference.

The most notable difference will be in your wallet, your shoulder, and the hearing tinnitus.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

It's hard to beat a 338 for elk as long as you can shoot it well. I like the 30-06 but i would go with the 7mm Rem Mag, hard to believe i would say that!

7 Mag

I love my .338 for elk.I bought it for my very first elk hunt and,wouldn't you know it,a big bull came out on a little ridge I was on about 100 yards away.One shot dropped him in his tracks-if he had gone 15 feet in either direction it would have been the pack job from hell. That's why I love a .338 for elk.

Having said all that, the ought-six is a better combo deer/elk rifle. Especially if you are recoil sensitive.

If I could only have one of them: 30-06.

But I have both! I guess because my 338 is heavy, but it really doesn't seem to kick, and I am a recoil shy guy.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have an '06 and it has been a great rifle for me. I have killed deer, elk and antelope with it. That being said I recently got a Ruger M77MKII in .338 and it is a track driver. It shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards off the bench. I shot this old gal with a 225 grain Nosler partion at 200 yards at a strong quartering towards angle. It penetrated about 2.5 feet of Oryx and came out the back side. Tough bugger still ran 100 yards before going down.

IMG_4162small.jpg

I think for most hunting situations in North America a .30-06 is great. However, I think a 300 win mag is perhaps a little better. You have a huge selection of bullet weights in the 30 cal, and with the 300 win mag you can decide if you want to go heavy and slow, light and fast, and any other combination.

Gook luck whatever you decide to get.

Dax

Can't go wrong with an '06 best all around gun. You can hunt anything in north America with it and ammo is cheap.

I think bigger is always better, if you can shoot bigger. Get the .338 in a big gun and you will love it forever. I've got a 338RUM that shoots awesome. More of a push than a pop like my 300WSM. I don't know one person that has had a 338 and not loved it. You can't go wrong with the 300WM either.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

My vote goes with the 06.

I would look into the 7MM Rem Mag as well.

Very flat shooting gun and plenty of knockdown power with manageable recoil.

If you're going to do a lot of elk hunting, I'd go with the .338winchester. I have both a 30-06 and 338, and do about 90% of my hunting with the 338. If you won't do as much elk hunting, there's nothing wrong with the 30-06. Heck, more elk are probably killed with an 06 than any other caliber, but I do believe the 338 does a better job escpecially on less than ideal shots, or with really big bulls. Keep in mind, there is a big difference between a 900+ pound mature bull and a raghorn bull or cow, about double the size.

The 06 is a great caliber, but that 338 bullet is one hard hitting son of a gun. Perhaps the 338-06 would be a nice compromise? I'd like to own one of those.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-10 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]I'd have to vote for a 7mm. The .338 is an amazing elk gun, but it might be a little much for deer. If you don't mind the recoil go for the .338, I would take the 7mm over the 30-06 for an all around elk/deer rifle.
As for the Howa, I don't know anything, but you can't go wrong with the Remington 700 SPS

Actually, I find it interesting that people think a 338 is TOO MUCH gun for some game. I've never figured out how an animal can be too dead. In fact, I'd say that a 338 with a bullet moving at moderate velocity does less damage to meat than a lighter, faster bullet that gets a lot of bloodshot meat.

I've shot animals as small as blacktail deer, pronghorns and even bushbuck in Africa, and it did a nice job on all of them. Those big bullets just plowed through and didn't make a big mess at all. It really does a nice job on things like elk or brown bear!

Exactly CAelknuts. A lite bullet will dissipate it's energy much faster, which will cause a higher shock wave to go through the animals tissue causing a massive hemoraging mess. This is why lighter weight bullets do not have the penetrating ability the heavy bullets do, but lighter ones can be impressive when dropping game. One of the problems with a gun like a 338 in a hunting situation is, the hunter needs to be more aware of whats on the other side of the animal, whether shooting at elk and especially if shooting deer. There is plenty of energy left when it blows through to kill another animal on the other side.

If the majority of your hunting will be elk and you think you might plan on hunting moose, or big bears at some point, I would go with the .338. If the majority of your hunting is for deer and elk are secondary, I would go with the the 06. The 06 is capable of, and does a fine job of killing anything in North America. My dad killed moose, sheep, goats, deer, elk, grizzly and black bear with an old Remington pump 06 prior to a Weatherby 300 being added to his collection. When I was a young adult I got a .338. I felt my 06 was a little puny when I was sharing a stream with big browns, come to think of it I can remember a few situations when I thought my company issued 458 was a little on the light side! Now days I carry that same old 338 when I elk hunt, but only because I already have it. If I didn't have it, I would stick with my 06 loaded with a good 180gr bullet. In the 338 I load 250gr Gamekings. Never have lost an elk and never have recovered one of the bullets!
You can't go wrong either way!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

>Actually, I find it interesting that
>people think a 338 is
>TOO MUCH gun for some
>game.

I wouldn't say it is too much gun for the game, possibly too much gun for the hunter to shoot well on a consistent basis, if the recoil isn't a problem then by all means go for the .338.

As far as recoil, with the right set up, the 338 win can be about the same as a 30-06. Can't go wrong with either choice and many choose to have both. I personally use my 338 for almost all my big game riflehunting because I like the rifle a lot.

I have used both calibers and can't tell much difference in the two. The 338 has a magna port and the muzzle blast is loud when shooting at the range, but hunting I really can't tell. Both bullets will drop anything if hit correctly and most animals will not cover 20 feet before dead.

As Frontier said about the 338, and knowing your back stop. I shot several rounds through a large tree before I figured the bullets were not stopped by the tree. But most elk absorb the shock of the bullet and the core-loks were found in the hide on the opposite side. And 338 rounds are double the price as compared to 30-06.

By the way, my wife shot an elk and an oryx with my .338. She had never fired it prior to those hunts. It is the same rifle and scope as her .270, so she had plenty of range time with a similar rig. Her elk was 160 yards and the oryx was 301 yards. The only two rounds she has ever fired through it. I asked what she thought of the recoil and she replied "Recoil? I didn't even feel it".

This same woman dropped a mule deer last year at 453 yards with her .270. She asked what the range was and when I said 453, she said "I can make that shot". And she did.

I'm very bias towards the .338. I've taken elk, deer, bear and antelope with it. If you reload, you can make it do anything.

As far as recoil goes. I've shot 7mm Mags that kicked harder. When I got mine I noticed a big push, unlike the jolt of a 7 mag. But the muzzle jump made me see tree tops through the scope. I didn't like not seeing things die in the scope so I got it ported. Now I get to see the dust cloud and hooves in the air part too.

I just sold my last remington 300 ultra mag and two .338-.378 rifles and bought my second sako trg 42 chambered in 338 lapua mag. I use this gun to shot everything including coyotes and deer. The 338 is one heckuva killin machine. I shot a giraffe in Africa that had 1 metric ton of steaks alone and was the largest bull my ph had seen killed in his life. I shot that thing with 160gr barnes ttsx bullet outa my 338 and he only ran 50 yards before dropping dead. I've killed everything from rabbits to deer, elk, kudu, eland and giraffe with my 338. There isn't anything a 338 cant kill. If you decide you want an elephant load a 300 grain monolithic solid in that sucker and go have fun. However a .270 in the hands of the right person is more than capable of killing an elephant as well. Just depends on what you want but I agree that the 7mag and 300 umag's kick far more than the 338's.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

I'd go .338. A 30-06 can kill an elk, a .338 will kill an elk. As said bullet selection and placement are everything. I'm helping my buddy look for his first elk rifle right now. he took a frontal shot on a raghorn (first bull) at 30yds with his .308. (bad shot with lite gun). Looked for long time, no blood, gave up- thought he missed..... The crows found it several days later. I tried to get him to take my .340wby.. but he felt more "comfortable" with his deer rifle. Kicks him self in the rear NOW.
I know this debate goes back and forth and I can see all sides of the issue. BUT with the muzzle brakes/recoil pads out there today gun up. I've known and heard of too many people who wish they had taken a bigger gun.

For deer the 30-06 is great. A good compromise may be a 300 win mag. but that is as lite as I'd recommend.

We found a slightly used .338 A-bolt w/BOSS for $550 w/bases and rings. We'll probably pick that up.

Good luck with whatever you decide and good hunting.

338bucknbull sums it up. with tag oportunities getting harder and harder to get yearly you have to go with equipment that will increase youre odds of success. say you have a huge bull 800-1000 yards out the 06' is not enough gun,but the 338 will still get it done.just buy a 338 port it,doesnt make it louder imo,and it will kick just like an unported 06' then practice,practice,practice.funnest gun i own.

I personally think most of what's been said is opinion. It's tough sorting through all the opinions. I think that bullet construction is much more important than the differences between a .30-06 and a .338. I've seen elk dropped in there tracks with both calibers. I've also heard stories of elk being lost with both calibers. It's all about bullet construction and shot placement period when discussing the two calibers. Pick a caliber and choose the right/best bullet for the application and you'll be set.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

I have .270's, 7mm mag's, .300 win mags and 1 .338 win mag. My model 70 .300 win mag is the best rifle I own and would highly reccomend one if you are still between the 30.06, and the .338 mag.
But then again, it just my opinion.

OK, I'm going to p*ss off at least a few of you, perhaps more, with these comments. First, I'll say that I'm a big fan of the 338 win mag. That said, I think way too much time is spent on gadgets and equipment, and not nearly enough learning how to use it to proper effect, and getting in good shape and being able to HUNT. 339buckandbull's comment is exactly what I'm talking about (though I intend you no offense) when he refers to shooting at 800-1,000 yards. 99.9% of hunters have NO BUSINESS shooting at anywhere near these distances, and would be much better served to get in shape and be prepared to stalk closer rather than just take a long prayer type shot in the hope of filling a hard to obtain tag. If you learn to hunt well and are in good enough shape to do it, have the discipline to pass up shots you shouldn't be taking and make the ones you do take, you'll do just fine with either of these calibers.

I'm still a fan of the 338 over the '06 for elk, but there is NOTHING WRONG with the 30-06, nothing at all.

CAelknuts just gave the best voice of reason on this subject. The reality is either one will do the job. My latest toy if the 338 Federal. Get the 338 slug without the punishment of the mag.

My second thought is there are a lot of folks who either don't understand how far a yard is or they are delusional about their shooting ability. Anyone who is competent at ranges beyond 500 yards is the exception and not the rule.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I agree with 1911, For 95% of average hunters the 30-06 is still the best round the hunter can have. Bought my son one for the above mentioned comments.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom