39 Archery season

Idahoshedhead

Anyone else getting pumped for the up and coming season? Weather hit just right this year to start the migration, not like last year when the rifle hunters had a slaughterfest.

im definately getting pumped although i dont know how much time im gonna be able to hunt but this is my first season hunting in idaho after moving from washington last year and im definately excited to see what this late season has to offer

Count on seeing a lot of people. Harvest rate was low for rifle so everyone and their dog will dig the old bow out of the closet and let some arrows fly.

I saw a dog at the bow range shootin the other day, it going to be crowded.

I'll be out there, and I don't count on seeing a bunch of people out there. Its just like duck hunting. Its crowded the first week, and as the weather turns, the people thin out quick.

If you go where everyone else gos you will run into a lot of people but if you put in the extra effort and hike in atleast 3 miles in you will be in muley heaven. Every year its the same, as soon as you hit that boundry line there are trucks parked on every corner and guys on every ridge, but those are all the lazy hunters. All it takes is a few more miles and a bit more walking and your in.

>Anyone else getting pumped for the
>up and coming season?
>Weather hit just right this
>year to start the migration,
>not like last year when
>the rifle hunters had a
>slaughterfest.

yup...now the bow guys get thier annual "harrass the $hit out of the deer on the winter range hunt". Go chase em when they're at their most vulnerable..........

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08 AT 11:43?AM (MST)

a little miles on the boots never hurt anyone....ok maybe a little pain,good pain,but its worth it. I will probably be on the back side of Danskin lookout on Tues. I try to hit the trails with "motorvehicles prohibited" posted. There isnt enough space to describe what I witnessed last year in the danskin foothills. It was one, disqusting mis-use (high speed chasing/rouding up deer) with atvs. I almost quit hunting FOREVER!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08 AT 11:40AM (MST)[p]
>yup...now the bow guys get thier
>annual "harrass the $hit out
>of the deer on the
>winter range hunt". Go chase
>em when they're at their
>most vulnerable..........

yup, from less than 40yrds, and multiple pairs of eyes trying to bust ya...

Whats wrong a little put out because your rifle season was no good? Well maybe you should learn to shoot a bow worth a $hit and get out and try it.

>yup...now the bow guys get thier
>annual "harrass the $hit out
>of the deer on the
>winter range hunt". Go chase
>em when they're at their
>most vulnerable..........

You obviously have not a @%cking clue what you are talking about. They are not on their winter range yet, migrating, yes. I was going to go on a serious " put you in your place" rant, but individuals like you are not worth the effort.

>
>>yup...now the bow guys get thier
>>annual "harrass the $hit out
>>of the deer on the
>>winter range hunt". Go chase
>>em when they're at their
>>most vulnerable..........
>
>You obviously have not a @%cking
>clue what you are talking
>about. They are not on
>their winter range yet, migrating,
>yes. I was going to
>go on a serious "
>put you in your place"
>rant, but individuals like you
>are not worth the effort.
>

There was a pretty big movement of both deer and elk last week, and yes theres several on the wintering grounds right now....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08 AT 08:39?PM (MST)

Actually...............you're right i dont know what I'm talking about....I'll admit when I'm wrong. It was the late archery 39 draw hunt that went way into december. Still there are quite a few people who dont like the general archery in late November. FYI this hunt is being scrutinized and dont be shocked to see some changes. Chasing deer on the winter range or during the rut with a general tag rubs people the wrong way it seems......I've gone to lengths on here defending opportunity so dont think I'm one of them. Still, the deer/bucks are at their most vulnerable.........If you wanna try to "put me in my place" on that statement....feel free to give it a shot junior.

My rifle hunt went great...thanks for asking.

Wow. So much editing! "Junior" now thats funny. 90% of the hunters do not even get close to harrasing anything. I know this season is under scrutiny but at less than a 10% harvest i doubt anything will be done. Here I have an idea. On early winter years when the deer move early, like last year, we should close the rifle hunt ASAP! Are our deer herds in trouble? Yes. Should something be done? Yes. Most of the hunters out there for that hunt are looking for trophy quality animals and are passing on the pisscutters unlike the rifle hunters. I know it is unfair to let archers hunt at such a great time, if weather is right, which it often is not, an archer can have great success if he hunts it right. I know, it is bull$hit to let someone with a weapon with a 50yd maybe 60yd range be able to hunt this time of the season. Yaaawwwn, I could go on but think I will call it a night. I know I will not be losing sleep over this unlike others.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08
>AT 08:53 PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-08
>AT 08:39 PM (MST)

>My rifle hunt went great...thanks for
>asking.

Oh yeah, how did that go? Hopefully you had a good one. I know you want to share.

>There was a pretty big movement
>of both deer and elk
>last week, and yes theres
>several on the wintering grounds
>right now....

Yeah yeah, I just got off the phone with my buddy and "some" are down, as in a very small percent but most are still in transition. It will take more snow than what is on the ground to make it an all out necessity for all the deer to head down. Just so you know, some deer actually live on the wintering ground year round, WHHAAAT!!

Spent my mule deer season back-pack hunting in general units as I usually do......utterly alone. Had entire mountain ranges to my self.......funny how that works. Saw plenty of bucks, did'nt find "my" buck though.......again, thanks for your interest.

Late mule deer hunts interfere with rutting activity and put stress on critters when they're in a weakened condition. The reason this hunt is under scrutiny is because you don't actually have to "harvest" a deer at this time to kill it. Looking for trophy's....Thats a laugh........a real fugging joke. I've witnessed what goes on out there.......a bunch of bubba's who traded a rifle for a bow largly. I'm not lumping any of you guys with that crowd but don't spout bull$hit and expect it to get by me..........If your such a top flight bowhunter, why not go after them in early october or one of the late september hunts? oh wait....you prolly hunting rut-crazed bull elk at that time. Plus the deer range is awful steep and rugged......may as well just let them come to you, right?

Like i said......I wont ##### cuz I'm not for taking someones hunt away. The elite archers are the ones who wanna bawl about a few deer being killed. I'll call bull$hit on that every time. I'd never advocate any general rifle hunt during that period....But this hunt is on the radar of the F&G more so than the general rifle hunt........I'm guessing there's a reason but what do I know?

Hey..you ever see a walking pin-cushion? keep your eyes peeled this season while hunting the winter range.

All I can say is wow......... Why does everyone have to knock everyone elses hunting style, I know people who don't rifle hunt, just archery, just because this season isnt your style, don't ruin it, or whine about it, and take away from the way they want their hunting experiance to go....

Good question, grinder........but point blank I'll defend what I do. I've noticed a real trend lately where a healthy percentage of bow hunters wanna look down their nose at rifle guys......Go ahead but don't be shocked when I call it what it is. Bull$hit. They hunt Elk during the rut and in units that are controlled for rifle....Deer during the rut and on winter range, all of which is a tremendous advantage for them. Then they bash the $hit out of people who hunt with rifles........fuk that. Like I said, I have no problem with any of it and I'm not complaining about any of those hunts........But just because you participate in them makes you no more superior than any rifle hunter. The holier than thou bow hunter won't like what I have to say on this subject, as is evident.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-08 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]GEM, plz dont take that at a shot at you, it wasn't meant that way, I should have said that its a trend all over MM boards.... I do see the people out chasing the deer all over when their antlers are about to fall,and I think they should be shot. I think there is not much of a advantage to ARCHERY hunting during the rut for deer. I have yet to see these "rut crazed" big mature deer that have a harem of does and old mister stick and string just eases right in to 40 yds and airs him out(if you know of one, plz give me the lat and lon of him) without the does and Mr. Buck changing zip codes. Same as a herd bull...You are either really good, or extremely lucky to get past the cows and sat. bulls to get at him. I do see the holier than thou attitude, and it sux, but it's in all activities in our society,just get used to it.(Strap on a snowboard and goto Sun Valley..lol) Also want to add about the animals on the winter range...don't know what winter range y'all are lookin at, but I've been all over the "winter range" and haven't seen anything more than a few does and very small bucks...I must be at the wrong winter range?!?!

I am getting pumped up for the late season archery as well. I will say, I've been hunting this season for quite some time. I've seen good years and I've seen bad years. This hunt is getting more popular, but that comes with population growing in Idaho. Not a whole lot you can do about it. I also rifle hunt, but I would rather bow hunt. It's more of a challenge. I have to agree with Abomb on this thread. I don't knock anyone's choice of weapon. The only thing I get really upset about is the jerk-offs who hunt off four-wheelers and are unethical! Now, four-wheelers are great for getting from one place to another, as long as it's legal. I saw way too many retards out ther this year unit 32 that came into areas that were closed with four-wheelers. I'll go out of my way to write down license plates and snap pictures of people violating laws and regulations. This includes those who unethically hunt in the late season, if they're harassing animals. You're always going to find those who break the rules in any hunting season.

Now as far as the "winter range" goes, very few deer are in the winter range during the late season archery hunt in 39 unless we get a substantial amount of snow. And for the past several years (at least 5) we have not had enough snow in Idaho to get the deer out of the high country and into the winter by November, some but not all. As far as I see, where I hunt I know full well that the deer don't winter in there. Infact, the boundry lines of unit 39 are much higher than the winter range for those deer. And to address the issue of stressing the deer while they're in the rut. I've hunted many years in the general season rifle and found the big bucks in the rut! Now if you don't think they're stressed out during the rifle season with all the warzone shots going off, then you haven't been hunting long enough. There are more retards in the rifle season than in the archery season. Just because you don't like to hunt with a bow don't go knocking it. I like to get out in the late season just to see the big bucks. The success rate is a lot lower in the archery season anyway. If you want to see stress on deer on the winter range, head out to unit 45 in January!

Get your facts straight "gemstatejake"....Frick! Talk about a hollier than thou attitude....Again, I rifle hunt too, but I'd rather bow hunt for the challenge. If you think the bucks aren't in the rut in October (in some years) then you're not much of a hunter. You opened this can of worms so you might as well eat 'em! So "gemstatejake", do you ever put in on the late seaosn rifle hunts in the Owyhees, unit 45 and other?? I bet you do and if you ever draw, you're the pot callign the kettle black! Nice!

I don't doubt that F&G is looking at this hunt. Again, there are a lot more people in Idaho than there was 10 years ago and they need to make some changes. In fact, we need to do what Utah and other surrounding states do. A point system and controlled hunts. They obviously have bigger deer and elk and better populations.

So to anyone out there that knocks the late season archery season because they "think" they are a hunter, try doing your homework and stop generalizing the whole on a few bad apples!

MuleyCrazed
Idaho

Crazed........Take a look at my post again. you obviosly did'nt get it the first time. I'm not bashing anyone...

Bowhunters are no better or worse than rifle guys.......you wanna dispute the obviuos advantages the way the seasons are set up, you'll lose. Take a look at the first post in this thread......Again I'll defend what I do.

As for late controlled rifle hunts......take a look at the number of tags given for those units.......then take a look at you general archery hunt. That argument is totally ignorant.

If you bowhunt for the challange....go chase bucks in the high country or stalk Bulls after the rut.........

Or continue what you do and I'll still consider you a good hunter.I'm not against any of the archery hunts, but I'll jump all over you when you or any other dedicated bow hunter start whining about rifle guys killing deer............The playing field is more or less leveled by the timing of the hunts.......Good luck to all you guys.

Gemstatejerk

Dont know where you rifle hunt your elk but the last several years the bull's have been screaming during the general rifle season and personally know of several shot under fifty yards this year with rifles after being called in!!! If there is such a great advantage to the late buck hunt then why are there not lot's of trophy bucks shot every year?? Wind,crusty snow several set's of eye's and ear's and etc. all make this hunt a challenge and yes it is fun to see the numbers and to get to see the big bucks...if the weather hit's!! Your probably a transplant so shut up and your probably one of the idiot's that think you own the mountain and run all over on your atv.

Jake,
I get what you are saying but I'd have to respectfully disgree with you on the level playing field comment. I'd almost argue that a big buck is easier to kill with a bow in September while they are in their bachelor groups than in November during the rut.

Ya the bucks are much easier to find in November, but as far as vulernability I don't think so. Those watchful does are great at blowing stalks, and because we are talking about unit 39 the does are extremely spooky because F&G gives out 1200 does tags there. If you disagree watch some of the mule deer bow hunting videos like FMP, or look into what famous bowhunters like Randy Ulmer, Cameron Hanes, or David Long are killing. They kill some great bucks but mainly in September not November.

I'm not knocking what you do either; finding a decent deer in October with a rifle is no easy task either. But if you do find one your chances of killing it are usually better than not killing it. With a bow its the opposite.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-08 AT 11:00PM (MST)[p]Itaketheshaft,

...............GFY............

mods...don't panic it stands for GOOD FOR YOU.......

Yoyak..there is truth to what you're saying but you overlook the obvious.......Most dudes would MUCH rather wait till the deer are in more accessible terrain. Good bucks in september are often found at the top of the world.....point blank almost no one is willing to work that hard.........I make that statement based on the fact I literally see no one else when I'm out.........fabulous deer country and not another soul around.........

Killing a big mule deer buck is IMO....very freaking hard to do regardless of weapon, time of year etc.......especially for the average dude who hunts general seasons by and large. I'm not bagging on anyone.................except for givemeyourshaft up there.............

Dude you done nothing but bag on archer's!!! I bowhunt because it is harder and a better experience....I do rifle hunt from time to time for deer only..and i've taken some very good quality bucks with rifle and it's not easy but it's easier than with a bow at anytime.......... We have too many hunter's ..way to much access with atv's..a very big problem,mismanagement and way too many flippin wolves and a lot of loss habitat....go put your efforts towards some of those thing's or just go FYY

I have not badmouthed archers.......I merely pointed out the timing of some of these hunts offsets the limitation you place on yourself by using archery equipment to one degree or another........timing of weather, rut activity, etc are all a factor of course.........Chasing Mulies late in the season puts stress on them at a critical time......Thats a fact...... Again I'm not against your hunt......but some folks are.

Funny you mention experience........I have hunted nothing but general units on public land so far this season as is usually the case. I really could'nt imagine better experiences than I've had this year. Short of killing a huge buck which I did not do..... I agree we have problems...no question. Too many hunters, atvs, etc are easy to overcome IMO.

predators, loss of habitat........thats harder. not much we can do about that is there.......I'm not familiar with FYY.....you'll have to enlighten me on that one......Good luck with your season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom