3B Early Archery

Muley_73

Very Active Member
I am guessing that this is the unit I was hit this week for on my card. I applied for this unit due to the later dates this year and no moon. Hoping for some good rut action. Any input on the unit would be greatly appreciated. Any one that is familiar with the caliber of bulls to realistically be looking at. If this is a unit that I would gain a bunch by hiring a guide? I am planning on at least one or two trips down to scout and have not issue doing my homework and pounding the boots but its always good to hear some input.

Thanks!!!

I am guessing that this is the unit I was hit this week for on my card. I applied for this unit due to the later dates this year and no moon. Hoping for some good rut action. Any input on the unit would be greatly appreciated. Any one that is familiar with the caliber of bulls to realistically be looking at. If this is a unit that I would gain a bunch by hiring a guide? I am planning on at least one or two trips down to scout and have not issue doing my homework and pounding the boots but its always good to hear some input.

Thanks!!!
That later hunt should definitely help with the rut action. Only problem is the fact that the early muzzleloader hunt with 30 tags is the week before your hunt so a lot of bigger bulls will be killed or scared before you start. But you'll still have a lot of elk to chase. I would say realistically if you hunt hard you should expect a 330-340 bull. There's bigger ones in there though. A guide may be of help if you can't get down and scout. They also may know where some of the bigger bulls are after helping on the muzzleloader hunt. If you look for a guide call shane koury. They do well in there.

I hunted it on the late muzzy once. Quite a few elk running around in there. Glassing can be difficult. Somewhat of an urban hunt depending on where you are on the unit.

Those dates will make the last week of that hunt absolutely phenomenal. There will be some big bulls moving in from Unit 1 and the Rez. Always one or two 370+ bulls in the Woolhouse by that time. It's going to be an incredible hunt if that's what you drew!

You can kill a 330ish on your own without a doubt if put in the work. If really want a shot at bigger and do not want rely on luck or have a lot of time to scout a full week before the hunt a guide will really help a lot in there. Lots of bulls will in and around houses in the woods in Pinetop area, for a reason. Just remember public goes right up and around all those subdivisions in the woods around Pinetop Lakeside, Pinetop and the Pinetop Country Club out there. The muzz hunt should not disturb things to much with 30 tags. The bulls will be moving in and out from 1 in parts of 3b also. If you can swing a guide, call Shane Koury.

You can kill a 330ish on your own without a doubt if put in the work. If really want a shot at bigger and do not want rely on luck or have a lot of time to scout a full week before the hunt a guide will really help a lot in there. Lots of bulls will in and around houses in the woods in Pinetop area, for a reason. Just remember public goes right up and around all those subdivisions in the woods around Pinetop Lakeside, Pinetop and the Pinetop Country Club out there. The muzz hunt should not disturb things to much with 30 tags. The bulls will be moving in and out from 1 in parts of 3b also. If you can swing a guide, call Shane Koury.
Also remember that it’s illegal to shoot anything within 1/4 mile of any of those houses. Even with a bow. That rule change really messes things up in that country.
If I had that tag I would look more at that “what kind of bull can I pass up” question then what kind of bull can I kill. If you are gonna pass 320-330 bulls you probably drew the wrong hunt. Especially with the early muzzy falling before it. I would’ve honestly taken that tag on a normal year with the dates falling before the early hunt. That being said, there’s gonna be a couple 350-370 bulls in the unit, just whether you can find em and kill ‘em or not.

Thanks for all the input guys. I drew with 4 points. I’ve talked with Koury, Chappell, Premium and A3 so far. 320-330 with a possibility of something bigge is kind of my thought when I applied. Appreciate all the info!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom