4 Wheeler Advice

arroyobuck

I also posted in Campfire section.

Im looking for some advice and opinions on what to look for in selecting a used (2nd hand) 4 wheeler for hunting. I am on a poor man's budget and would like to cap my purchase at $2500. Can I get anything decent for that amount? Where should I look besides craigslist? What brands and size should I look for? Are there any other considerations I should know about?

I have hunted for 35 years without one, but am seriously considering one now. It would be used to get further back in the woods where I would then park and walk. Also I would use it to pack meat out. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm sure you are about to be railed for not stating that you plan on staying on legal roads and trails. I've been riding a 2006 350 Honda for the past 2 or 3 years. I like it, but if I had it to do over again I would look for one that is automatic and has a low range. Mine is a standard and is hard to shift, especially from 1st gear. I also find I could use just a little more slow go power, thus the desire for low range. It has made driving those rotten rocky steep two tracks much more fun and it is much faster to get where you're going. It also saves beating up the pick-up truck. Just drive up the good road, unload, and zip on up the hill. Even if it takes several trips, if you're camping, to get your gear to the camp site, it is well worth it.

Is 4 wheel drive needed or just a "nice to have"? I get your point about a low range being a good option to have

Keep the info coming

Thanks

high and low range is good. independent rear sus is nice. Park brake is plus. good clearance and racks also is nice. Second option of starting it incase you have a bad battery.

for $2500 look at a honda 300 fourtrax.. I have had one for 20yrs and its very dependible.. just take your time looking for one.. I would get the 4x4..I still use it, even thou i have bigger and faster ones.

True story...I have a 2007 Honda Rubicon 2009 down near Magna UT shot a 800lb cow elk on the mtn in Jan. There was 1.5 ft of snow and my honda went up the mtn and drug the elk with three riders 2 miles to the trk, now the added weight actually helped for traction but damn you talk about torque and reliable...if i were you i would save just a bit more, the quality of ATV from the 2500-3500 range changes dramatically...rule of thumb i always buy 4x4, when you need it its there, remember hondas are fluid driven so no belts to mess with on a used machine. Hondas are not the most fancy ATV on the market, but they are the most reliable especially when shopping it a used market.

Have to agree, Honda are the most reliable, owned 2 of them and the boys rode them hard and put them away wet, never did ANYTHING to them...and i mean anything. I never changed the oil, never a breakdown, they were the most abused thing i have ever seen and they ran like they did on day one. I just sold an Arctic Cat..biggest POS i have ever had the displeasure of owning, just bought a Polaris and it seems ok so far but i dont have much time on it yet. If i were looking to buy a used machine it would be Honda, 4X4 is a must, shaft driven, liquid cooled, 300 is ok, the 400s are better, drug out many elk and deer with both of them. They wont ride nice but a Honda will get you there and most importantly...back.

I own two...a Kawasaki 360 and a Polaris Xplorer 300. They are both 4 wheel drive and I believe if you want to do any mountain road climbing you will want that feature. I have never wished I had a bigger machine and they have done everything I have wanted them to. They are both automatic transmission, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like them both. My son prefers the Polaris and I like the Kawasaki.
Keep an eye on the ads, and you might find what you are looking for. Good luck

No, you don't need 4 wheel drive. A 2wd ATV will go anywhere that a stock 4x4 pu will go. But, it is possibly adviseable. It sorta depends what you want to do w/it. If you are going to stay on a road...your ATV will climb hills that will scare you to death w/o 4x4. If you are going to drag a critter, yes. I don't think that it affects carrying capacity. Now, many of the 4x4s have bigger wheels, and low range, both are a real asset, and probably at least one of those is a must have. If you put chains on a 2wd...man they will really go in the the snow and mud (you need 3 of em). My 2wd sport bike will go like crazy in 6 inches of snow. In the mud, if you keep the tires spinning it will go real well. If it can't go, then maybe you shouldn't be there as you'll be excessively tearing up the terrain.

You want 25" tires, or taller, low-range, manual shift (the old ways work best). I like Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha (the last two are not in order and maybe not even the first one). I also like bikes no bigger than 400 ccs...you want something portable, handy, that you can horse around yourself...not an under grown jeep. 15 years ago, a 350 was a big bike and it was established that they could carry a complete elk, all by themselves AND, it has probably been done w/a 200....assuming that they were to lazy to make more than one trip.

John 14:6

I own 2 4-wheelers also I bought in 05. I did a lot of research before I purchased them as I wanted ones that were reliable and would last. I ended up with hondas, a rancher and a rubicon. I don't put a lot of miles on them but they still run like new 6 years later. If i was buying used I don't think you can do better than a honda. As others have said, they may not have all the bells and whistles or be the most powerful but they are sure tough.

Like most others have said, go with a 4x4. You will be glad you did. I have had both. The 2wd will do good unless your in the snow and mud.
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

2 wheel drive is for young guys that want to jump up and down on their atv trying to get it unstuck in the mud or snow or try rocking it back and forth. 4x4's today are push button, put it in 4 wheel when you need it or take it out when you don't need it. Find a good used Honda 4x4 Rancher,Foreman ,Rincon. Another good thing to have is a winch. If you do get it stuck just hook to a tree and pull your self out .Good luck.

Yes, 4wd. I prefer one with a solid axle, they are more stable while hauling and on a side hill. You do sacrifice comfort in ride, however the increased stability is worth it. 400 or 500 cc is plenty of machine. I am a big fan of the old manual shift also, they are that much more reliable. Look into the Suzuki vinson, they are great machines, and you could find one in your price range.

Good luck let us know what you end up getting

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I've a 95 Fourtrax. It is old school, manual shift, and a rougher ride than most, but with good tires (look into the Kenda Bearclaws) will take me anywhere I could want to go. Where the 4WD shines is in slush, heavy wet snow, and in mud-particularly the bentonite rich slick stuff. I also bought a 2000 Kawasaki Prairie off of a friend as a favor (he was hard up for some cash). It does well enough and years ago we hauled the biggest cow elk I've seen, much less shot, and three passengers without a hitch. It is a smoother ride than the Honda and has a low range, though the Honda is definitely the go to machine when I need a tractor. Both are 300s. It is plenty of power for my needs and as stated above the smaller machines handle well and have all the benefits of a smaller machine.

Try looking at the Ksl classified section for atv's lots to choose from, depending on where you live. Or you want to takes drive.

Well I was also in your place back in November. I had a Farmall Super C tractor I used to plow snow. I had a small 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler for hunting. I have never really needed a 4x4. Well back in November My tractor wouldn't start. I knew it was just water in the
distributor but I was sick at the time and I couldn't work on it. My wife needed the parking area plowed for her business. I had been looking for a while at ATV's. Well one landed in my lap. I found a Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 IRS independent rear suspension. It is a low geared bike. I doubt it will go much over 40 MPH.But my old Honda won't either so it doesn't mater. The Big bear is a manual shift with locking differentials. It had a Warren winch and only 600 miles on the bike. I got it for 2800 dollars.
I added a Cycle city plow and now I use it for snow. In fact that bike can actually push more snow than the tractor. It gets way better traction and it is much faster to plow with than the tractor.
When I lock the differentials that thing is a brute.
I sold the tractors and bought a new ATV trailer. It is a 3 place Echo trailer. I use it for the ATV's and for my pontoons for fishing. You will pay more for the Honda. I like the Big Bear so far but so far all I have done is plow snow. Ron

Go big or go home. I used my buddies Honda 450 a few years ago mtn goat hunting in Colorado. At 12k' it barely had enough power to lug my big ol butt up some of those mtns. I was at 13k' at one point and went down steep hill. I ended up having to walk it up because it just didn't have enough ump. My buddy said it had higher altitude jets. This year I used a Honda 500 at 8 - 9k'. It did good but powered out on some of the steeper hills. I picked up a Yamaha Grizz 660 last after that. Size wise, it isn't much bigger than my buddies Honda 500, but its a lot faster and seems to have a quite a bit more power. 4x4, locking diff makes a big diff...

I guess it's what you're gonna use it for. My perferred method of getting game out is on a horse. I mainly use my quad for chukar hunting. Long runs on rocky, steep terrain. And getting through snow and mud no truck could get through. I have a Polaris Sportman 500. Huge rack on the back for 2 dog boxes and plenty of speed for those areas where I can use it. I do wish I had locking differentials.

But I agree with most that the Honda is the most dependable. And on an older machine, that you don't know how well it was taken care of, you should probably go that way.

Good luck, it'll pay for itself on the wear and tear you save on your truck.

Must agree with all the good Honda comments, That's all I've ever owned.
I love the old foreman I have now. 12 years old and not a minutes problem.
If you're looking for a better ride I would suggest the Rancher.

Look for a 420cc, 4x4, fuel injected, Honda Rancher. It has enough power to get you around, low center of gravity, shaft drive and gets great milage. It has a clutching system that put max power to the wheels and not torque converter to vibrate you to death and rob fuel efficiency. ...and of course Honda reliability.

I have a fairly new Suzuki Eiger 400 which I use to recover tree stands, deer, and plow my driveway with. I keep reading how good ATV'are in the snow but my experience is that I get high centered quickly.

I just have the stock tires on it with no chains. It is a 4x4 though with a low and high range switch.

Any thoughts? Better tires? Old tires but run chains? New quad lol?

Bill in MI

I am a true blue Honda guy. On a side note. A nice trick I have done to a couple of my quads, is I bought a horse stall mat. a 4'X6' or 4'X8' sheet, (can't remember if it was 3/8" or 1/2" thick?) Go with the thinner of the 2.
I took my time to cut it exactly like the top of both front and back racks outer most edge. Then zipped tied it to the outside frame work of the racks. If you take your time, it turns out really slick. You lose the ability to use the inner parts of the rack, but coolers, spotting scopes hard cases, tripods ride great on that rubber deck. All I needed was an exacto knife, zip ties, and a drill/bits to do the job. I used the drill to put a nice hole in the mat to get the zip ties thru. Plugs the drill bit a little, but cleans easily. Its trick. I did the rough side of the mat "up". Everything stays put. You should be able to do about 2-3 quads, and share the expense with a buddy.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-11 AT 07:48AM (MST)[p]You are probably more confused than when you started your first port.

Here is my advice:

1- Fuel Injected; better running...
2- Independent Suspension; much better ride and you back will thank you for it. I have never felt unsure of my four wheeler...
3- I have always owned Polaris. They have an excellent ride, are a little heavier, and when it's
-20, mine will always start. I have have had very few issues with mine. I would look at the Honda as well. It's hard to beat their reliability. I'd look at Honda as
Well. It's hard to beat their reliability.
I'd save a little more $$ and get a 500 or bigger. It will give you a little better ride and it's nice to have the power. Absolutely get the 4x4..

Bill in MI.... I don't know why your ATV wont plow snow. I have a 03 Honda Foreman that I bought new that is a plowing son of a gun!! and I don't even own a set of tire chains for it but man will that thing plow snow. I was going to get a plow for my truck but I don't need one now.

Thx for the post. To clarify: it will plow snow fine, as long as the wheels are on the ground. My point is going off road without the plow, it seems to get hung up pretty easy.

Its my 1st quad, maybe thats just the way they are. I realize it's not a snowmobile.

Bill in MI

Well i've read everyone's great advice and it seems everyone has missed the original question. What is a decent quad on a 2500 dollar budget?

All the advice added up to an 7000 dollar machine. In reality, your gonna have to search high and low to find a machine for 2500 bucks that isn't destroyed. 3500 may be a stretch.

Watch craigslist for a bike in your price range and base your decision on whether or not its in good condition or not. I see these guys have the love affair with honda but I would take a suzuki eiger 400,polaris sportsman 400 or yamaha kodiak 400 over the rancher 350-foreman 400 that you MITE find close to your price range. The earlier honda has full time 4-wheel drive and their brakes are piss poor in my opinion. I've had them all and they all have goods and bads so take that for what its worth. Good luck in your search but I would start savin a little more money and be patient. There might be that guy out there that bought a machine and hardly ever rode it and just wants it out of his way!

Yes, to answer the question, my eiger was about 3k which is in the ballpark of your search. Better traction in snow over 6" would be desired. Maybe better tires are the answer.

Bill

Tires will help a little Bill but after the snow gets so deep you run out of ground clearance. That makes no difference which brand a guy has. A diff-lock helps but there we go back way out of the price range. Taller tires but be carefull about clearance issues without spacers and such.

One other thing that is a plus for the eiger is that it is oil/air cooled and liquid cooling system maintenance costs/breakdowns are not an issue on a older used bike. The Suzuki has way better power than the honda also.

I had a 03 Eiger in great condition that I sold for 2900 two years ago. They are out there but have to look and be lucky to find a good deal.

....Had to go look but mine is an 2006 that I picked up for 3K, plus a trailer, plus a plow kit. Again, it will plow heavy snow just fine, it's just the clearance issue that I was looking to deal with.

Thx
Bill

Bought my 2004 Honda Rancher last year on Craigs list for $2,500.

If I had it to do over I would spend the extra $$ and get independent suspension and a bigger quad with lower center of gravity.

My buddies 500cc Polaris will go places my Honda cannot.

Holy crap Bill, you stole that Eiger! Thats the kind of deal I was refering to.

Westelk, Polaris is the best buy out there if you want big and low center of gravity. The suspension is plush also. That is why they are the bike of choice for the older crowd. I think the entry level hondas suck. They are like riding a 4x4 department store lawn tractor! The only bike I have left is my old 2-wheel drive honda recon. It has seen a better day but the old girl still goes when called on.

Remember, when buying anything Honda add $500-1000 just for the nameplate. Yes they are good bikes, but not that good. As for polaris, older polaris engine braking(and to hit that price range thats what your looking at) blows. We had one on an ice covered hill a few years back and it was just a 600 pound sled. I had a 06' eiger 4x4. It was very basic, not auto, not plush, etc. HOWEVER it went everywhere. We late hunted elk(dragged a 6point out 10 mile in the snow) on it. Ground clearance is not great, but not horrible either. Not having a CVT tranny takes out a lot of maintance. They ride a little rough. Everyone tells you you need 700cc machine(yeah I have one now- 700grizzly) but I went everywhere the big machines did. And unless your a dumbazz kid your not going 50mph everywhere. The 400cc motor in the eiger is bullet proof. The tranny is bullet proof. The transfer case has high and low range and it too is bullet proof. In my family we have 2, suzuki king quads, the 350 versions that are 20 yrs old. They are still going. If your trail riding, the bigger, idependent suspension, bells and whistle quads are better and easier. If you want a hunting tool, I would go with the 400 eiger and you should be able to find one in your price range.

I'm a fan of the Kawasaki's....the prairies are probably my favorite. They were made from 2001 to 2005 in lots of different models but I like the bigger motor 650 or 700 and the ride isn't too bad either, lots of rack space and seat too. They are very hard to come by though and you might have to spend 3000 for one but I would do that before I bought one that didn't have enough balls to get you up the mountain!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom