40lb bow

A

archerykid27

hello,

i am new to the website. i am 12 years old and i hope to archery hunt deer in utah this year. i have a mission menace, (great bow) i can draw 40lb, have a 24in. draw leanth, and i am shooting beman jr. arrows. i have some questions. first, do you think that my arrows can kill an elk? second, what broadheads should i use? i am really excited to hunt this year and i need some good advise.

archerykid27

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-10 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]You should be fine for deer if you keep your shots under 30 yards!

I don't think you have the Kinetic energy to kill an elk unless everything is absolutely perfect. meaning close shot and no bones hit including ribs. I would prefer to see someone shooting 50lbs or more at elk but the law says 40 lbs.

If you do decide to try to hunt elk please go with a heaver arrow and also go with a two blade cut on contact broadhead that is long and has a gradual taper. It will give you a mechanical advantage going into flesh. the heaver arrow will tune better and fly more stable.

For deer you could probably use what ever head you want but Id still go with a two blade.

check out a head like this or close to it. Stay away from a mechanical broadhead with your setup!
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0020800415387a.shtml

good luck on your hunt!!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

thanks for the advise. me and my dad found a sweet watering hole and are planning to set up a blind 20yd away

thanks again
archerykid27

I started out with a 40 lbs. bow and I think you could kill with it. I would say deer out to a max of 40 yards would be okay. Elk I would not be hunting elk with a 40 pound bow past 30. Beamans are good arrows to shoot. I would shoot a light (75-85 grain) broadhead.

Good luck,

Let us know how it goes.

Glad to hear your are taking up archery hunting. The #1 World Record Elk was taken with a 46# pound draw weight. Archery is all about shot placement and the kenetic energy (mass/arrow weight X speed/squared)to accomplish maximum arrow penetration.

Basically the heavier the arrow in flight the deeper penetration you will accomplish into your game with a good sharp broadhead.

With the new technology of smaller diamiter arrows and 2 inch Blazer vanes putting a small aero dynamic style cut on contact broadhead like a G-5 Striker will give you all the killing machine you will ever need to kill elk. We have killed a bunch with this setup on Easton 340 FMJ arrows (total arrow weight 466gr).. The kenetic energy with this setup is unbelievable.

If you choose a larger diamiter arrow, older style large broadhead stick with the older 4 inch vanes to make those broadheads perform better at longer ranges. In time you will find that you can kill most game with any setup up close 20-30 yds. Things change when you get out to farther distances than 30 yds. and you need to consider the wind, your arrow release mechanics etc. Just a slight release jerk or pull will throw you off traget or animal. You don't want to wound game so wait for the kill shot (double lung or quartering away on elk). If you don't get the kill shot pass on the game and wait for another day. That is what archery hunting is all about...."ethical shots"........

Back to the basics: At a 40 pound draw weight shoot a heavy arrow total weight including broadhead to gain as much kenetic energy as you can accomplish. Keep your shots inside 30yds.
You are pushing the envelope on elk but with a well placed ethical shot you will get the job done...Practice out to 30 yds and get good at it...That will make those closer shots seem like a piece of cake on an animal the size of an elk.

get ready for some fun, 40 lbs is plenty for a beginner just keep the shots under 25 yards and only use cut on contact broadheads like zwickeys 2 blade, they fly true even if they are not tuned properly and will down an elk in front of your eyes.in one of ted nugents videos his son used a 40 pound bow on moose to prove you dont need 60 or more pounds and his arrow passed through at 40 yards.only take complete broadside shots over water and this will teach you patience.welcome to bowhunting.

I shot 40 lbs my first two years bowhunting and both bucks didn't make it 80 yards combined before piling up. You have enough KE for deer all day long buddy...elk might be a different story unless shots are perfectly placed like said before. Are you shooting sights or traditional??

~Z~

i am using a 5 pin tru glow sight. i am also using a wiskerbuiskit rest. also if you would like to fallow my hunting season, i am doing the hunting adventure challange.
it is titled first hunting season.

Archerykid27, listen to these guys here on MM and you will do just fine. They really know their stuff. Good luck to you on your first hunt. I will be following your Hunt Adventure Challenge. I think that is awesome of you to enter it. Practice practice practice!! Like trophyhunter said practice out to 30 yards and the closer shots will seem like a chip shot. Good luck to you this first year young man. If you aren't now you will be hooked for life!

GBA

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-10 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]Archerykid27 and anyone else that has a kid and wants to get them started in the right direction when it comes to archery.

If any of you are in the salt lake city area come on by datus on Thursday night at 7:00 I help coach about 30-50 kids when ever I'm in town. C3 here on this forum also helps out. The kids are mostly between the ages of 8 and 15. They shoot pretty much year round.

Some of these kids are are pretty darn good! You will learn a lot and it is free!

We shoot indoors out to 20 yards for the league and if you stay around after you can shoot indoors out to about 40 yards. My 9 year old daughter has hardly missed a league night in 3.5 years.
Here is a short video of her shooting.

We can work on your form, and we also have a bow press to get your bow timing set perfect.

Here is the web address where you can find the address. http://datusarchery.com/

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom