444 3rd Season

HuntWell

I drew a 3rd Season buck tag and just looking for some general information on where to get away from the crowds. If anyone has had experience in this unit during the 3rd season its an OTC Elk unit and can kind of screw things up for us buck hunters. I'm going to use my bow for the first few days of the hunt and then pick up a rifle for the last 2 or so depending on the buck I find. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shoot me a DM for info you wish to not expose here.

Profile says you’re from New Castle. Isn’t that like 20 miles from the unit?
Yes, but I have not hunted that unit before and just wondering where most of the rifle hunter pressure is in the unit. Hard to scout at the moment with my current job. I also primarily archery hunt so not sure if most rifle hunters just stay on the roads or if they hike out and camp in areas.

I’ve never hunted the unit, but I suggest forgetting the bow and grab your rifle for an otc elk unit. The third season is not conducive to sneaking up on deer due to dry leaves, crunchy snow, elk hunters and atvs everywhere. The deer will be on total alert ‼️, but that’s only my opinion.

I’ve never hunted the unit, but I suggest forgetting the bow and grab your rifle for an otc elk unit. The third season is not conducive to sneaking up on deer due to dry leaves, crunchy snow, elk hunters and atvs everywhere. The deer will be on total alert ‼️, but that’s only my opinion.
Hopefully there is some more weather and fresh snow on the ground. I've gotten 3 buck all within bow range but taken with my rifle each time so thats the only reason I'm thinking to take my bow. But then again my odds go way down!

Is there any particular altitude I should be looking at?

I live close to 444, I wouldn’t try it with a bow. With that being said I’m not your dad, if thats what you want go for it. It’s a damn tough unit to hunt. That’s why there is typo called leftover tags for it.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom