444 Late deer

goldhunter

Anybody have any general info on this hunt. Looks to me like private land might be an issue if there is much snow. I have hiked a little in the unit during September, years ago. Saw one very nice buck. Wanted to use my points, so I thought I would give it a try.

thanks

Very few deer and they are ALL on private land during 3rd & 4th seasons. I would not burn any points on 444 unless I had a good piece of private land locked up. Just my 2 cents worth from past experience...

That's what I was afraid of. Are there any landowners that allow hunting with a trespass fee or are there outfitters operating the best lands?

I used six points. I should have known, very low demand from resident hunters.

I personally don't know of any outfitters in unit 444 other than Crystal River Outfitters. They seem to kill some good bucks and bulls every year and hunt mostly private land.

I don't know of any landowners in the unit but you could try and knock on a few doors if you're a resident. There are some large tracts of private land in the unit but the landowners are very wealthy non-residents and they don't allow hunting. Of course, that's where all of the big bucks and bulls like to hang out. There are also lots of subdivisions in the area and I've driven down the paved roads only to see some nice bucks in the yards of some high dollar homes with no chance at 'em.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as I said previously I've had some bad experiences up there... Unit 444 is not a big unit and in my opinion the locals/residents have all of the best private land sewed up tighter than #####'s hatband!

That unit is a tough one for sure. All the deer are on private land. Everybody that I asked didn't allow hunting.

I've hunted 444 every year but it's been a while since I've hunted it very late. As others have said, it's not a great deer unit but we have seen a few nice bucks over the years. I know more where not to go than where to go and I'm only familar with the areas we've hunted but would be glad to share what I know if you PM me if you are determined to hunt it. The areas I'd be directing you would be backpack type hunts. I also know of the outfitter in the area so you could always call him as well if you wanted to see what he could tell you.

Thanks all and Coloelkman,

How do I PM? I can backpack as long as the weather is not too bad. Deep snow and/or sub zero temps makes it difficult. I have done it before but I was a younger man.

I would consider an outfitter if he has some good ground.

Sounds like I definitely should have forgotten about that big buck I found all those years ago.

I have also considered archery hunting elk in the unit to get a feel for the area. I know late season deer will not be in the same areas as the early elk, nevertheless it would probably help to know some of the roads and trails, where the oak brush is, property boundaries, etc. Any thought?

Thanks again.

To PM you click on the envelope in my message. The outfitter is D&G outfitting out of Merideth. I doubt he has any private leases but you could check with him by looking him up on the net. You are right on the weather but it can be very much like winter or not too bad so it would be tough to plan on a backpack hunt unless you are a die hard. We used to do it also years ago but I wouldn't do it unless I was with someone. The areas I know do have scrub oak at the bottom and dark timber and aspen up high but I'm not real sure if the deer stay in the oak late or move further away. I do archery elk hunt some of the area and will likely be doing it this year so PM me if you want some more specific drainages or areas.

Hey COLOelkman,

I too have heard of D&G Outfitting and they also have a website which would be another good option for GOLDhunter. Unit 444 is a tough unit to hunt as everyone has stated but GOLDhunter should be able to tag a good buck by hunting the areas he's seen bucks in the past. Keep us posted on your success and best of luck to ya, GOLDhunter!!!

Hey guys,

I've done a little more research. According to one of the game wardens in the area about half of the deer are still on public in a typical year. I think an early winter will push more onto the private but I'll probably try to hunt anyway. I see those subdivisions will be a problem but I really don't want to shoot a deer in that area anyway. Want a hunt not a drive around and shoot.

I also found an outfitter that has 5000+ acres of private to hunt on. That sounds good but his price listed for 2012 late hunt was $7500, (web site price). Last name Bair, has a ranch off the Glenwood canyon side. Anybody know him? With one daughter starting college this year and another next year, I think that price is out of my range. Even if I could squeeze the piggy bank hard enough it would have to be one good hunt for that price.

I guess I'll see how it is this November.

Coloelkman,

I did respond with a PM. Don't know if you got it or how it works if you responded back but I also gave you my email.

Thanks,

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom