4th season 3-301 Elk

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Already have a 4th season cow tag and might pick up a leftover Bull tag. Was going it hunt third season for Bull and then head to try and fill this cow tag. Looks like I will have to make this the one Colorado elk hunt this year.

The things I have heard it is very weather reliant and understand that risk. I have also heard lots of road hunters...but can be lots of elk. I'm not afraid to hike and hopefully pack out to get to some pocket of elk the road hunters can't see. I have not been able to get any info to start on that is not specific at all Ie;...this area this region...

I know all the Bulls will be small...but a Bull elk is a Bull elk unless your in a trophy area..Like looking at their racks but like eating them too

I heard there is CPW rep at the Craig visitor center and talked to somebody there like 20 years ago and think they are still there.

I am going to be hunting out of my mobile Toyota truck where I park is camp...

Any thoughts are appreciated and if anyone is up there it would be fun to connect...

Some friends of mine hunted 3-301 3rd season last year. They had 3 deer tags and a couple cow tags. Pretty sure they filled the buck tags but had a hard time getting into elk. They killed one cow, the only elk they saw.

I've hunted 3/301 several times. With the early snow, there's a good chance the elk will be moving down and into your area.
There is a lot of road hunters, but a lot of public ground as well.
I'd stay north of Maybell if you want to stretch out your legs and get away from people.
P.M. me if you want, I can probably give you some staring points.

hwy

I was there last weekend.

There is a big herd on a ranch in the northern part of the unit.

There was an issue some hunters had on the southern part of the unit with a rancher circling around the elk to keep them on the private.

There were a few elk shot out of maybell.

I imagine there are still quite a few elk still left in 4, these warm temps are not the greatest.

There are elk there now, but they are few and far between on public.

Thanks for the update 3 I am armed with two tags a cow that covers....3-301-4-441-5 and a Bull tag that covers 4-441....so got some options likely my first efforts with be in 4 sounds like there are a few more ways to get away from the roads a bit

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom