4th Season Glenwood Springs

Trevor

I have a 4th season tag and want to camp near Glenwood Springs with 2 or 3 horses. I plan on sleeping in the horse trailer. Anyone know a good spot to camp with horses that is pretty close to Glenwood Springs or that is willing to let me camp on their property?

I haven't hunted this area before so I am unfamiliar. I do plan on going up there before the hunt, so I will have a chance to look it over then, but hoping someone can point me in a good direction.

Thanks!

Trevor
PM or email me if preferred.

Couple of units around Glenwood. Could you be a bit more specific? That might help generate a better response.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Sorry, that was pretty vague. I will be hunting in 34. I might be hunting on top, and therefore camping there obviously wouldn't be an issue, but I might start down low near Glenwood Springs and therefore would like to camp near Glenwood Springs. I don't need to camp in my unit, as long as it is fairly close to Glenwood Springs. From what I understand, the Transfer Trail Road out of Glenwood is too steep and rugged, especially for a horse trailer and late season. Can I camp at the base of that road or along that road in a pull off? Any advice and or help is much appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19 AT 12:20?PM (MST)

There is a big dirt parking lot right at the bottom of the road before it begins to get rough that would probably work, but a 4wheeler would make more sense than horses in that area. Unit 34 is a damn tough hunt with low densities. There?s a reason there's always piles of LO tags. (I grew up in Glenwood) If it were me i would focus on storm king mountain. You can come in from the Canyon Creek exit off I-70. If you have GOOD in shape horses the storm king trail could be about as good as it gets for 4th season in that unit.

Coloradoboy

Thanks Coloradoboy. I sent you an email and appreciate your help. I understand it will be a difficult hunt, but I am looking forward to hunting deer and elk and being with my Dad and hopefully brother. I thought I would give it a try at least once.

Trevor

You are going to freeze your asses off sleeping in a horse trailer.

Charles Darwin:
Father of the theory of Evolution; Suggested that natural selection is the mechanism by which species evolve over geologic time.

Don?t know what he has but I've seen horse trailers with good insulation and heaters in the living quarters .
So maybe not.

My buddies have horse trailers with living quarters that are equally as nice as an RV. Talk about hitting the rodeos in luxury

>You are going to freeze your
>asses off sleeping in a
>horse trailer.
>
>

LOL! Probably. It isn't a luxury trailer, but we will have lots of blankets and a heater to help out.

Trevor,

Feel free to PM me. I have put in (and drawn) 34 as my 4th choice every year for the last several so I have learned a thing or two about the best chances at deer.

I agree with Coloradoboy, 34 is not a unit I would particularly recommend horses for, especially if you want to hunt from the Glenwood side.

Not trying at all to rain on your parade, but I have a newfound sympathy for people hunting 34 and I don't have much desire to go back, so I'll share what I know in hopes of making it worth someone's trip.

>Horses are not allowed on Storm
>King Trail. Call the
>BLM and ask about it
>if you want to verify.
>

Thank you. I just looked that up and confirmed. I appreciate you sharing that.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom