51 muzzle deer hunt

foundation

Very Active Member
I drew one of the non resident tags for this hunt this year. It had been a few years since I picked up a muzzle loader for deer hunting and I wanted a new challenge. I would love to hear any past experience about how this hunt has been and I understand its super steep and weather dependent.

Also since I drew the tag I got a new assignment at work that is going to put a little bit of a kink in how much time I can take off now. I will still be able to swing a week of vacation but im curious if I should use those vacation days early in November or late November or if I should just be flexible and watch the weather reports.

Thanks in advance for any advise

If we get weather I'd do the second week of nov. If not you may want to go later. We have seen some good bucks late at the end of the late bull elk hunt. The best buck I've seen was low the day before deer season when I had the early bull tag. There's just so much country and not deer in all of it. I'll shoot ya a pm.

We elk hunted that late bull tag two years in dates from approx Nov 10 to Nov 25. While I did'nt see many deer, on the mountain I would hope for enough snow up on the peaks to push the deer off. IF the rut kicks in, I would expect it to happen between the 10th and 15th.

So wait for snow and hope it's around between 10th and 15th or just before.

I would also talk to some ranchers when you get there as while the elk didn't hang down low much(lots of climbing), the deer were in the fields at first light.

Thanks for the information guys. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for snow. That's promising information that deer have been in the lower country also because the country looks way steep.

98612012-11-12_16-10-25_216.jpg

Mid November last year, unit 51. Good news is the packing is almost always down hill. Really good news is that mule deer are a lot smaller than elk.

The kid on the left goes by TWSNOW18 on here and he has been busting ass getting in shape this year because he has learned how rough most good areas are, so your point about being steep is a good one. Take good optics up there too, as much of that country can be glassed from a truck. While these boys, the other is my oldest son, were making this 2000' ascent for these bulls, I was sitting by my truck with two tripods, a box of donuts, and thermos of coffee watching the show....good times!!

BPK, I watched you guys from a safe distance last year get those rascals to the truck. Downhill or not, it looked like a workout!!! Hope to see you guys again someday in the hills.
Foundation, have fun! Good luck!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-13 AT 10:33PM (MST)[p]Goldberg, I like your style as to where the best place is to put 2 bulls on the ground simultaneously. I'm not too young to realize wisdom beats youth, every time...

But until then... You gotta risk it to get the biscuit... :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom