52 Elk

shedneck

I'm considering applying for an archery elk tag (second season) in unit 52. I'm not concerned with the score of a bull with that tag, just a fun hunt to hear and chase screaming bulls with a bow. While I'm not concerned about score, I'd appreciate being able to get away from people by hiking. Are there good numbers of elk in the unit? What can I expect? I would love to hear thoughts on this unit. As always, if you need any help or advice for Nevada hunts, I'm always willing to help out where I can. Thank you.

I haven't hunted 52 in a very long time so my info might be dated. It is a nice unit with some beautiful country, the west end is pretty high altitude. It is known for good numbers of elk, not for trophy quality. Although there are probably a few big ones shot every year, I think a 300 bull would be a very good one for 52. Lots of 5's and smaller 6's. The unit is not very big so finding large areas to hike into to get away from the crowd might be tough. There is a small wilderness area but I hear that gets hit pretty hard nowadays. Having said that, a lot of guys will not venture too far off the road, so just crossing a canyon or two might get you away from most of the crowds. Hiking up San Antonio Mtn. might be another way of doing it, but you will probably run into some guys on horseback, plus a few other hardcore hunters.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom