53 3rd season or 4 4th season?

I have Hunted both the 3rd and 4th season in 53 and I would take the 4th without question.

Lots of elk hunters in 3rd season.

If you have the extra points I'd do 4th for sure.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks guys. I didn't make the subject real clear. I am looking between GMU 53 3rd season or GMU 4 in 4th season. Sounds like unit 4 may be the better option if I can pull 4th season.

Just an FYI, Northwestern Colorado got absolutely hammered this winter. I drove the highway from the Wyoming line to craig and it was chock full of dead deer and elk.

Hi

Im new to the Monster Muleys forum, so hello to all.

I have never hunted GMU53 but have hunted GMU4 in 4th season. Much of that unit is surrounded by private property, and if heavy weather hits the elk will hold up there. I believe that hunt includes GMU 441.
"Hunt Explore" and "Do-It-Yourself Hunter" have good maps that identify private property.Definitely recommend 4X4 and chains if your are there.

Typicals that ranged between 150 and 175, maybe a 180. I didnt see any huge bucks. Honestly I was more focused on finding Elk.
I did see some bucks that were brought to a local meat processor when I was dropping off my Bull, 2 were nice 4X4s in the 170-180 range, and 2 that were quite abit smaller. The 2 larger were private land bucks and the 2 smaller were shot on public land.

I WOULD ALWAYS OPT FOR THE 4TH SEASON IN MOST ANY UNIT DECISION. MORE APT TO HAVE SNOW, NO ELK HUNTERS, BETTER RUT ACTION, WAY LESS DEER HUNTERS.........4TH SEASONS HAVE REALLY PAID OFF FOR ME IN PAST YEARS.....YD.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom