54 3rd season deer

GWM

What are your thoughts on this unit? How much elk OTC pressure is in this unit? What elevations are deer usually at during the 3rd season?

Thanks!

I would think the elk hunters would be higher in elevation than you would and not be a concern, especially if you get snow and rut with later dates. Be interesting for someone to comment on outlook of winter kill this year also as I have a couple friends that are looking hard at this hunt.

54 is a capped elk unit so they only sell so many OTC tags. Look it up and you can tell how many elk hunters there are going to be.

Rich

Be prepared if you hunt there, GMU 54 gets a lot of hunting pressure for both deer and elk all season long. I've tried hunting it during third season with a OTC Cap license and didn't even see a deer.

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

Has this unit gone down the tubes in the past 8-9 years?

I hunted the 3rd season back then and had a fine hunt, but not easy by any means, harvesting a 178" 4x4. It took me 4-5 days to find the buck I wanted and a couple more to get him down but I was very pleased. As I recall it was only a 7 day hunt but I'm going off memory now.

Zeke

It is nothing compared to what everyone envisions the Gunnison to be like in the pre 07/08 days. The only unit that's really on a upward trend is 66 in my opinion.

Coloradoboy

>It is nothing compared to what
>everyone envisions the Gunnison to
>be like in the pre
>07/08 days. The only unit
>that's really on a upward
>trend is 66 in my
>opinion.
>
>Coloradoboy

That's good information and thanks for the reply to my question. Obviously I hunted it when it was pretty good and evidently isn't what it used to be.
Zeke

I highly doubt it. There's going to be a lot of hunters coming off the sidelines this year. I bet it takes 9-10 points to get this tag when the dust settles.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom