6.5 creedmore vs 6.5 PRC for Mule deer

How far and what elevation is the hunting happening at?

They can shoot the same exact projectile, only difference is MV and recoil.

Unless you are a pretty dedicated long range shooter, the creedmoor will do it for cheaper, less recoil, and effective beyond what most people can/should shoot.

I am a fairly dedicated long range shooter and I choose a creedmoor sized case every time for the above reasons.

Either will work. 6.5 cm ammo is easier to find and quite a bit cheaper. I own both and I tend to grab my 6.5cm more often than not… heck I might sell my prc. Just use an adequate well designed bullet and it will work just fine

The 6.5 Creedmor was designed to punch paper and steel at the range all day long without making your shoulder hamburger meat. The PRC outperforms is just about all metrics except recoil, cost, and ammo availability. In a hunting application, I would always go with the PRC. I personally shoot a 6.5-284 Norma. Ammo can be hard to find, and kinda expensive. Even the old 6.5x55 had better ballistics than the CM. Every 6.5mm/260cal outperforms the CM, except the Grendel, I believe. But then there are those loyal CM shooters who claim "It'll drop an elk in its tracks at 700 yards all day long". Let the bashing begin boys!

The 6.5 Creedmor was designed to punch paper and steel at the range all day long without making your shoulder hamburger meat. The PRC outperforms is just about all metrics except recoil, cost, and ammo availability. In a hunting application, I would always go with the PRC. I personally shoot a 6.5-284 Norma. Ammo can be hard to find, and kinda expensive. Even the old 6.5x55 had better ballistics than the CM. Every 6.5mm/260cal outperforms the CM, except the Grendel, I believe. But then there are those loyal CM shooters who claim "It'll drop an elk in its tracks at 700 yards all day long". Let the bashing begin boys!
If a 147eld impacts an elk at 2200fps, does the elk know if it was killed with a creedmoor or a PRC? Does he tip his hat to the hunter shooting a classy 6.5x55 or the sexy 6.5x284?

I can shoot circles around my buddy with his PRC vs my creedmoors out to 1000 yards. I also like the 284 case and shot a 25-284 for a while. In the same, 9lb rifle I will shoot the creedmoor better and more accurately and also reliably spot my impacts.

147gr eld at 2910 from a PRC reaches 1800fps at….1250 yards! (7000ft elevation)

147eld at an anemic 2547fps from a box of factory creedmoor ammo reaches 1800fps at…900 yards!

How many guys honestly need that extra oomph to get out to 1250 yards? How many guys can even call wind accurately enough to kill at 900 yards?

100% of guys will shoot a rifle with less recoil, more accurately, all things being equal. 100% of guys will shoot better, having practiced more.

Prc is better for hunting, especially if there’s a break on the barrel, the “extra recoil” is not noticeable in my experience. Overkill is under rated, prefect situations don’t exist when shooting at game. Ill take the faster round for hunting situations every time. With all that said practice is definitely king!

Mule deer is specified in the original question so sticking just to that I say 6.5 Creedmoore. I have used both and like them both expirement with loads and projectiles. I have been mind blown at the total devastation of 143grn Hornady ELDX out of a Creedmoor, if your target is absorbing all the energy offered and not just blowing through makes a difference.

My vote would be for the PRC. I spent a good amount of time researching & actually shooting the CM & PRC. In the end I opted for the PRC. In my opinion, with the PRC you are getting a Magnum version of the CM.
The extra “recoil” is minimal. My 8 year old grandson can handle the PRC with no issue.

I also own both. My cm is a Browning hells canyon McMillan. My PRC is a built on a defiance action. They both shoot factory ammo well under .5 moa and I have seen many different sized animal meet their demise with both. I tend to lean towards my PRC because I like the trigger better.

Either one gets it done. Hunting wise, like others have stated the PRC is better overall hunting round. The Creedmoor catches a lot of flack but honestly it’s a solid little round. I own multiple of both personally. I primarily shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua that is very similar in ballistics to the creedmoor and the thing has killed its fair share of antelope, deer and elk up to this point without a hitch running 140 grain Berger EOLs and 144 grain Berger Hybrids.

6.5 creedmoor will do the job it's done the job on plenty of deer for me. However, I do think the bigger calibers allow more room for error. I went back to the 300 WSM but I may go back to the creedmoor this next year again.

The larger calibers make the errors larger. Haha.

I’ve seen so many guys bang away with large caliber rifles. It’s really sad. I think maybe a reason is because the gun is not fun and not cheap to shoot.

Put that 143 grain right behind the front shoulder and let r rip. Creedmoor all the way!!!

The larger calibers make the errors larger. Haha.

I’ve seen so many guys bang away with large caliber rifles. It’s really sad. I think maybe a reason is because the gun is not fun and not cheap to shoot.

Put that 143 grain right behind the front shoulder and let r rip. Creedmoor all the way!!!
I agree. I'm just saying if you hit it a foot back and 7 inches high, you would want the bigger bullet. I know, the key is to hit it in the right spot, but stuff happens.

Out of curiosity, you guys that shoot super accurate with the creedmoor, at what distance do you say it is too far? For me I draw the line at about 500 and always try to get closer if I can.

I’m a 6.5 fan, I own several. My wife shoots her creedmoor incredibly well at long ranges and has killed several elk over 700 yards and a pile of deer between 5 and 7. She killed her big bull with a 6.5 prc using a Barnes 127 gr lrx over 800 yards. If you practice and know your gun, they are deadly…. But with that being said, I’ll be getting a 7 prc in the next few months and I feel that will be the primary gun that both of us will use for future hunting purposes.

To the OP, get the 6.5 prc. The extra bang it has over the CM is worth it. And with a brake, you’ll never notice any recoil.

To everyone saying folks tend to shoot lighter recoil better, gimme a break——er, brake?

This thread is comparing CM to PRC. Not CM to .338 RUM or any of Roy’s chamberings.

If, as a hunter, you can’t find yourself able to comfortably manage the recoil of a CM or PRC you should give golf or tennis a try. I’m kidding, kinda. Lol.

If I ever take a jump into the 6.5 zone, it would be a PRC with a suppressor. That solves the issue of the extra recoil and muzzle blast.

As it is, I will stick with my 270 for deer and 7 mm rem mag for elk.

But then I don’t shoot at elk or deer from a 1/2 mile away. Never will.

More or less a 6.5 PRC is going to hit with the same speed/power at 500 yards as a 6.5 creedmoor will at 400 shooting same bullet. But this assumes a 24 inch barrel. Most 6.5 creedmoors have a 22 or some a 20 inch. 6.5 PRC ammo has come way down in the last year or so also, around $40 a box now.

My daughter 19 has been shooting a 6.5 C More 😂 for 5+ years she was ringing plates out to 615yds 2 weeks ago and is 4/4 on deer kills over that time span.
Finally got around to building her a custom round for it last fall but we had not done the ballistics to get a Leupold CDS dial ordered which we did on that day.
Will see if she can hit the 1000yds plate next spring.
She won the rifle at a RMEF banquet or I probably would have went the PRC route that came out the same year.
Ya she was 14 lucky S*** 😂

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, you guys that shoot super accurate with the creedmoor, at what distance do you say it is too far? For me I draw the line at about 500 and always try to get closer if I can.
It really depends on the wind/terrain, and how much I’ve been shooting that year. Making the right wind call beyond 600 yards is where the rubber meets the road. I hesitate to put a number on it. For instance say it’s a buck at 700 yards, dead calm wind, or very consistent, and he’s more or less on an open hillside. That deer is dead. Same shot but cross canyon (unpredictable wind), edge of cover or easily gone from sight; no shot. Check out the cold bore challenge on Rokslide; awesome way to test your skills and give a more realistic idea of max range in the field. Hopefully they will do it again this spring/summer.

Yes the PRC will impact with 150-200fps more velocity at a given range..but does that really translate into more killing power? Creedmoor case is right at the edge of being tolerate and easily spotting your shots through the scope. PRC unbraked is a bit above that threshold. And brakes are a great way to blow out your hearing and your buddies; and to induce a flinch from the concussive blast.

Some guys will be willing to shoot their PRC enough to develop good technique and skill..most probably won’t. I shoot a few thousands rounds per year and it’s still not enough to be truly proficient at extended range.

A bigger gun is not a good answer for giving more “margin for error” you still need to hit him in the lungs 🫁

It really depends on the wind/terrain, and how much I’ve been shooting that year. Making the right wind call beyond 600 yards is where the rubber meets the road. I hesitate to put a number on it. For instance say it’s a buck at 700 yards, dead calm wind, or very consistent, and he’s more or less on an open hillside. That deer is dead. Same shot but cross canyon (unpredictable wind), edge of cover or easily gone from sight; no shot. Check out the cold bore challenge on Rokslide; awesome way to test your skills and give a more realistic idea of max range in the field. Hopefully they will do it again this spring/summer.

Yes the PRC will impact with 150-200fps more velocity at a given range..but does that really translate into more killing power? Creedmoor case is right at the edge of being tolerate and easily spotting your shots through the scope. PRC unbraked is a bit above that threshold. And brakes are a great way to blow out your hearing and your buddies; and to induce a flinch from the concussive blast.

Some guys will be willing to shoot their PRC enough to develop good technique and skill..most probably won’t. I shoot a few thousands rounds per year and it’s still not enough to be truly proficient at extended range.

A bigger gun is not a good answer for giving more “margin for error” you still need to hit him in the lungs 🫁
Thanks for the post. Somewhat agree to disagree on the last paragraph. I'm not saying you should get a big caliber gun if you can't shoot it as well because you'll have a bigger margin of error. But if you can shoot it well it is absolutely true that you will have a bigger margin for error. A 200 grain ELDX bullet out of my 300 WSM going almost 2,900 ft a second is going to have much better chance of putting down a deer than a creedmoor if the shot is marginal.

Yes of course we want to hit him through the lungs and then it doesn't matter either way. However, if you hunt long enough you will have a shot that is not a double lunger.

Thanks for the post. Somewhat agree to disagree on the last paragraph. I'm not saying you should get a big caliber gun if you can't shoot it as well because you'll have a bigger margin of error. But if you can shoot it well it is absolutely true that you will have a bigger margin for error. A 200 grain ELDX bullet out of my 300 WSM going almost 2,900 ft a second is going to have much better chance of putting down a deer than a creedmoor if the shot is marginal.

Yes of course we want to hit him through the lungs and then it doesn't matter either way. However, if you hunt long enough you will have a shot that is not a double lunger.
I would not argue with that at all. 200eldx will make a mess! But, I’d rather have a 140eldm than a 180gr accubond. So definitely I think the bullets matter most in the end.

To your point of not hitting them perfect. Absolutely, It’s hunting and stuff doesn’t always go perfectly. my farthest shot was a bit of a rodeo. Hit him at the front leg/chest junction just missing the heart. Thought it was perfect but it wasn’t. Was a ranging/rounding/not trusting the ballistics issue..1 click higher and he was dead. But I was able to put two more into him in very quick succession and he died instead of getting away wounded. Low recoil helps me stay in the scope, see what the heck happened, and quickly put more shots on target if needed. Not impossible with a big boom stick, but harder especially without good practice.

Either one will work. There's so much hype about the 6.5. With their reputation all you have to do is climb to the top of the mountain and hold either cartridge above your head and shout 6.5 and everything within earshot will drop dead from fright. Then you can just take your pick
Wes

IMG_5209.jpeg

I have killed deer with 6.5 Creedmoor. It works. But I would definitely use a 6.5 prc over the creed any day hunting. I have never said dang I hit that deer too hard. I would much rather the deer be dead the. Chance it on a bad hit. We are never perfect.

Going forward, now that I have shot with a supressor, I would always choose the more powerful of 2 choices. Not saying you need a 300 win mag for a Coues deer, but if both are in the ballpark on caliber/game, then I like having a little more power in the tank

Last edited:
If you have a "man bun", go with the Creedmoor. I hear you need one to shoot it effectively.

I actually own a 6.5 CM and I used it to kill my Stone Sheep. That said, I prefer my new 6.5X284 which is a cousin to the PRC.
Also, I'm bald so I don't have a man bun.
I agree with you, and I am also bald. I shoot a 6.5-284 Norma as well. My brother shoots a 6.5PRC, my other brother shoots a 6.5x55 Swede, and my niece shoots a 6.5 Creedmor. I also shoot a 264 Win Mag.

Skinny bullets that slide easily through the atmosphere will also have less resistance when they hit something made of meat. More velocity is helpful with such skinny bullets to help ensure a high expansion ratio. If you choose the Creedmoor I'd stick with 120-130 grain bullets to keep your velocity up. And limit shot distance accordingly, to keep impact velocity reasonably high. I would rather use the PRC with 140+ grain bullets for improved performance at longer range. Inside 200 yards it won't make much difference if you use the proper bullets in each cartridge. Out past 400 yards is where you'll see a big difference in terminal performance.

I would say that if you only could afford to own one rifle and you would never hunt elk, than the 6.5 Creedmoor would be plenty for most medium range applications at deer. BUT if you think you may ever go medium to long ranger on deer or ever take a long poke at an Elk, than the PRC all the way. Just my thoughts.

I have several CM and 1 prc. The prc is getting easier to find ammo if you don’t reload.. the prc I say a touch more recoil but not Noticeable unless trying to focus on it.. the prc’s shoot from 6.5 7mm up. CM fans are like Toyota drivers and Subaru drivers just give them a minute and we will talk about them.. yes I guilty of it. I would go with the PRC. For my long winded 2cents

Of the 2 I definitely would pick the PRC. With that said, I use a 300 WSM for everything in No America with 4 legs.

If 300 WSM isn't an option, I would urge you to take a look at 7 PRC ballistics. I'm not sure how many posts I've seen over the years wondering if 6.5 is big enough for elk. I don't think this same question is asked about a 7 PRC or 300 WSM.

I bought a 6.5 CM over the PRC when I was shopping for my 6.5 caliber. The availability, expense, and recoil of the PRC ammo (reloaded or factory) isn't worth it to me and I reload all my rifle ammo. My personal limit is to not shoot past 400 yards at game, and that is a long way.
We're talking about using either caliber for MULE DEER in this thread... 6.5CM ballistics certainly carry enough kinetic energy with 129-140 gr bullets to put down a mule deer (or whitetail) at 400 yards.

I have both, and reload for both as well. I like that I can get about 200 fps faster with a bigger grain bullet out of the prc. But like Hnthrdr stated if you put it in the vitals it wont matter. Dead regardless.

The question was about deer, but the topic has turned to larger species as well. IMO, neither cartridge is adequate for elk, and I cannot imagine why anyone leaving on an elk hunt would pick a 6.5 off the shelf for that purpose. As for deer, they are both great. If I could have only one, I would pick the CM simply because it has been easier to find ammo. I believe the CM will remain the more popular cartridge and so ammo will remain available as well. Also, the CM is a hot cartridge, but the PRC must be more so. I suspect the barrel life of the CM will be longer.

Last edited:
Despite the bad rap from haters, the Creedmoor is a fine cartridge. I took confidence using mine on my Stone Sheep hunt, which was a one shot white knuckle go for broke hunt. Sheep are not tough to kill but placing the bullet in the right place was key and mine worked perfectly. Mine is light and easy to shoot and dead on out to long distance. If that fits your definition of a deer rifle it will work just fine.
As has been stated, the PRC will do Creedmoor and a little bit more. I also have a 6.5x284 which is almost identical to the PRC. It comes with a little more kick and speed than the Creedmoor. I trust it for longer distance shots, just because it spits the same bullets out 200fps faster. If you think you have to shoot longer distance then the PRC is your ticket.

If I ever take a jump into the 6.5 zone, it would be a PRC with a suppressor. That solves the issue of the extra recoil and muzzle blast.

As it is, I will stick with my 270 for deer and 7 mm rem mag for elk.

But then I don’t shoot at elk or deer from a 1/2 mile away. Never will.
Yep. There are hunters, and there are shooters.

Nice bulls slamdunk. The wimpy side of the comparison was probably for a petite wife/girlfriend, or a feeble older gentleman.
I've actually have two of both calibers.
I went to the PRC because my Creedmoor turned into a Needmore which was a great decision for hunting.
I was skeptical at first about it's lethality, but there was so much buzz about it even on Elk that I had to give it a try.
My first animal was a Wyoming Mule Deer, it too was just over 400 yards.
One shot kill, then two elk to follow with identical results.
I retired my Lapua.

If you have a "man bun", go with the Creedmoor. I hear you need one to shoot it effectively.

I actually own a 6.5 CM and I used it to kill my Stone Sheep. That said, I prefer my new 6.5X284 which is a cousin to the PRC.
Also, I'm bald so I don't have a man bun.
I think i saw you in a man bun at the Sheep Show.

Needing a little help with this friends...

6.5 Creedmore vs 6.5 PRC for Mule deer
Like it was said both will do the job... Hornady 143s in Creed are $49 a box 2700 fps muzzle ... PRC same exact shell $56 a box 2960 fps ... 35 cents a shoot more for PRC . Both zeroed at 200 yards the Creed drops 7.9 inches at 300 yards the PRC 6.4 at 300 NOT a big difference at all !!

And For About 55.00 a Box you Can Shoot A 300PRC!

Like it was said both will do the job... Hornady 143s in Creed are $49 a box 2700 fps muzzle ... PRC same exact shell $56 a box 2960 fps ... 35 cents a shoot more for PRC . Both zeroed at 200 yards the Creed drops 7.9 inches at 300 yards the PRC 6.4 at 300 NOT a big difference at all !!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom