6 Bonus Points?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Well, I'm debating about putting in for either 6A 3A or 8 on the late rifle hunt. Looking over a few websites that have draw odds it seems that I could draw either of these. My issue is the amount of hunters in the area. Is it worth going guided on either of these hunts to better my chances at a better bull? I'm not looking for any monsters just a quality 300 class bull.

Have hunted Unit 8 Late Rifle 3 times in the last 10 years. The first time, I shot a 335" non-typical. The next trip we included my two hunting partners, and they each took 325-330" bulls. I did not pull the trigger, but passed up 19 bulls looking for a giant on that trip.

Last year we took a beautiful 325" bull, my other partner missed a huge one over 350, and I never saw any 6 pts to shoot at, but passed up about 8 other lesser spikes and raghorns.

If you will get out of the truck and walk into some rougher country, you will have no problem finding nice elk!

I agree totally with getting out & walking into the wind in rougher country in 8--take your time too, walk/hunt slow, be ready at all times, recon the area but don't disturb it either. Hunt as long as you can , don't rush it. Great elk country. Really do not need a guide, quiz the Game Warden&/Wildlife Biologist for that area, get good maps & study them & Mark them up with the info you get. Have a Plan A, B, C. Be ready to roll/hunt before season opens. Study elk photos so not to shoot the wrong size bull. Have Fun & good hunting-- I lived in Flagstaff for 14 years. Fabulous elk country !!!!
Jerry Gold
Ft Collins, Co

Well there is a ton of hunter competition in these units. Also, depending on the amount of experience you have hunting elk it can be difficult on your own in AZ. For instance, I grew up hunting elk in Montana and it's different here. In MT you had to get a few miles away from the roads. In AZ the elk sometimes bed a few hundred yards from a road in a spot nobody thinks to look. Guides are so cheap in AZ I would keep the option open. I used to be a fishing guide in MT. The smart guys would hire me a few times to learn the ropes and then fish the spots I showed them on their own. That being said I did get an elk on my own the first year hunting in AZ. It's an awesome place to hunt elk.

One final thought, unit 8 has about a thirty percent success rate. Ninety percent of the hunters live in Arizona. Roughly seven out of ten residents go home without an elk every season. Just saying...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-18 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p]I have hunted 6a & 8 for elk & both units get pounded hard. They give out a lot of tags in both units for the late rifle. Getting away from the roads is not an easy task in either unit as there are roads everywhere & even the closed roads get traffic that shouldn't be there. Sycamore canyon is a wilderness area, but you better be in shape & prepared if you get a bull in there!! That is some steep nasty stuff to pull a bull out of!!! 6a has the most elk of any unit
& respectable bulls are taken out of there every year.

As a non-resident, I've hunted AZ late hunts 4 times. Once in 7, twice in 9, and once in 10.

I have been successful 3 of 4 times - two smaller bulls and one really good bull.

The secret I've found for success there is to hunt all day long. While there is some spot and stalk glassing I've had the most success getting out and walking. As others said, you must move into the wind as quietly as possible and always be ready. It is an intense way to hunt but few others do it. You'll find where the elk are feeding, watering, and bedding as you do this.

For the number of years between tags and the quality of the hunting experience, AZ is the best place I've found to hunt elk with a rifle.

Good luck to you.

Can't go wrong with Steve Chappell. He seems like a heck of a good guy. Another route could be A3...I see them a lot around here (here meaning AZ) and they seem to be top notch too.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom