61 Archery Elk

TELDER

Anyone hunt Unit 61 for Elk during archery or muzzle within the last couple years? Just wondering how it was for quality, and how much pressure there is off the beaten path. Looks like there's 90 archery bull tags, 45 smoke stick, 45 cow smoke stick, 10 archery bear, 20 smoke stick bear, and 250 rifle bear. That's 460 guys plus turkey hunters and other yahoos just out being out. Its a huge unit but that seems like a fair amount of pressure.

Guess what I am in that unit most of the year and only have a tag once a year so I guess I am yahoo. No biggie it is what it is.
I spend a ton of time up there recreating other than hunting does that Qualify me? lol

Last edited:
So would you say during that September season it's pretty busy, or does the size of the unit spread pressure out?

It can be pretty busy in certain popular areas like around the columbine pass area, windy point, Campbell point ect.. and there is obviously a decent amount of people just out enjoying the outdoors especially holidays so Labor Day we’ll be pretty busy. But with that it is a huge area so it’s not difficult to find areas that have very little to no pressure just get off of the divide road a ways and you’ll get away from the majority of others especially since over the years more and more trails have been shut down or limited to 50” UTV’s and 4 wheelers. I also find the southern end of the unit outside of montrose to be a bit quieter. Hope that helps

I had an archery tag last year. If I had a re-do, I'd go early, find a waterhole and kill one and get out of there. The unit gets more crowded as the seasons open.

There are places to get away, but I worked harder in 61 to kill an elk than my OTC hunts.

Good luck

I had an archery tag last year. If I had a re-do, I'd go early, find a waterhole and kill one and get out of there. The unit gets more crowded as the seasons open.

There are places to get away, but I worked harder in 61 to kill an elk than my OTC hunts.

Good luck

Thanks, that's definitely the plan for that first week.

I’m a yahoo who will be a lot this summer, a lot in September hunting turkey and grouse, and just camping. I‘ve been doing it for years. I see very few people once I get away from the roads in most locations. I won’t go into the elk honey holes during the seasons while hunting grouse and turkey, but I help people carry their elk out as needed. Enjoy your hunt and get into the holes if you want to see better elk.

I’m a yahoo who will be a lot this summer, a lot in September hunting turkey and grouse, and just camping. I‘ve been doing it for years. I see very few people once I get away from the roads in most locations. I won’t go into the elk honey holes during the seasons while hunting grouse and turkey, but I help people carry their elk out as needed. Enjoy your hunt and get into the holes if you want to see better elk.

I figured that would probably be the case, pretty rugged country once you get off the road! Thanks for the reply!

Like some have said, get away from the divide road and it doesn't take long to get away from the majority of the people. There are literally elk in just about every canyon down there. The tough part about 61 can be locating the bigger bulls and being mentally able to pass up all of the smaller ones while you try to get a chance at a big boy. Good luck!

Saw the biggest Colorado bull I've ever seen last year out of over 35 years of hunting that area. Its a good unit. Have never felt crowded either. But I get away from people.

Those big bulls may still be around, but lets be honest here, the unit has changed ALOT since they started offering early season rifle bull tags.

Those big bulls may still be around, but lets be honest here, the unit has changed ALOT since they started offering early season rifle bull tags.
Could be, but I'm not totally convinced. Actually, the majority of hunters in 61 kill mediocre bulls. So I personally still believe there are some truly big bulls roaming that unit. They are few and far between, and they always have been.

Could be, but I'm not totally convinced. Actually, the majority of hunters in 61 kill mediocre bulls. So I personally still believe there are some truly big bulls roaming that unit. They are few and far between, and they always have been.
I agree. Most guys aren’t willing to get in the nasty stuff where a bull can get some age on him.

I agree with both of you, no question. I will say this, if you expect an "easy" hunt in 61 for a chance at a nice bull, my expereince is, those days are long gone.

But........ I've only had the tag once, so take that for what it is. The truth is, I do better in my OTC unit but that's because I know it.

I agree with both of you, no question. I will say this, if you expect an "easy" hunt in 61 for a chance at a nice bull, my expereince is, those days are long gone.

But........ I've only had the tag once, so take that for what it is. The truth is, I do better in my OTC unit but that's because I know it.
We were just laughing about that same thing, been down scouting 61 quite a few time this summer, I'm hoping for a 320ish bull in 61, and the places we've been scouting are no different than the holes on our OTC units that a guy could go and have a chance at a 320 most every year. Just gotta go in after them!

We were just laughing about that same thing, been down scouting 61 quite a few time this summer, I'm hoping for a 320ish bull in 61, and the places we've been scouting are no different than the holes on our OTC units that a guy could go and have a chance at a 320 most every year. Just gotta go in after them!

I've killed 2 rams, 2, billies, and a ton of elk in Colorado. I just wasn't in the mood that hunt to drop into those giant canyons. I went down into some, but the "Big T" can keep those elk. Hell even the drop off of Windy point is nothing but down. Like you said, I can do that in my OTC unit. Like I said before, I'd go the opener and setup on a waterhole and kill a nice bull if I had a do over.

Have fun.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom