61 Bear???

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
I am just about to leave on my 61 bear hunt. I have been hearing for several years it is overrun with bears and heard it from several sources. I just heard form my Taxidermist, whose nephew just killed and elk there that their group of four elk hunters had not seen a bear and no fresh sign and the place was over run with bear hunters.

Not cheery news...but still going next week any fresh words or thoughts from that playground I am all ears...

Thanks!!

Ted,
You may want to get friendly with any elk hunters in the area and find out where they might have left an elk carcass. They are bear magnets. Best of luck my friend!

Can?t speak for 61 but it's not been as lights out as last year to north. I didn't bother picking up a tag this year but I helped a good friend kill a big Bear out of the same drainage as mine. We?ve taken 3 large boars out of the same drainage in 3 consecutive years now.

88504f4cdac6146034ffc9efbc88174bca83d.jpeg

5035d3b6515478434618926e722c5c632474.jpeg

844784f2457f360774806b97c75b5bdb2885e.jpeg

Coloradoboy

I just got back from hunting 62 elk. Saw 1 bear. Some people in camp had 61 bear tags and they haven't seen anything. They have been hunting berry patches and glassing from high spots which has been good in past years..

Wet year surplus of berries (?)...just getting over a full moon....a night of carousing ona berry eating and binge a fat nap in the oak brush maybe????

Maybe the darkening moon will help???

I've found drought years create the best bear hunting honestly because it concentrates bears on food sources and water much like last year. This year the bears have much more options and are fat, happy and lethargic compared to last September. Typically I can count on seeing at least 2 to 3 bears a day off my glassing points. This year it took three days to even see one (which we killed) Like I've said before, bear hunting oak brush country is down right boring most of the time. Search for high points where you can glass and stay there all day if you can stand it. Typically when they do step out they don't hang around for long.

Coloradoboy

So the drill I am finding out is patience and finding a viable spot and staying put... Thinking a viable folding chair would be a good addition to the gear as a few hours on any ground...or even pad can paralyzed your ass and get you up and moving. Do you all find that your as likely to see them anytime of the day or more likely in the normal early and late time of deer and elk activity???? Shady slopes or sunny or does it seem to matter???

Thanks!!!!

Zippo no bears sighted in like four days of staring at suggested drainages from great vantage points...cool looking country...saw some elk but not as many as I thought I would with 61's rep...

Talked to a cowboy and he said something interesting. he said there was a drought a few years ago...less foliage to look through the bears moving a lot to find food and lots of sightings by all...and the added an even more interesting thought...that year the people that were killing bears the end of Sept all noted they were skinny and likely many bears did'nt have enough to make it through hibernation..

I head there were some bears killed but not by me...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom