68 Elk question

MtnMuley

We will be hunting in 68 for muleys this year, and have the option to buy a leftover elk tag. With no elk meat in the freezer this year, I'm contemplating buying a leftover tag. Are there many elk during the first couple weeks of November here, or should a guy save his money? I realize trophy potential probably isn't there, but that's okay. We will really be covering some ground for the muleys, so if there were many elk around, I'd assume we'd run into a few. Just wondering thoughts...... Thanks.

68 is OTC for bulls, unless I am not reading the regs right.

Elk? Depends on weather. I hunt with a group of 8 or so guys (I am the oldest of the group and have been there the longest)...last year was the first year in about the last 40 that we did not see an elk. Not one. We saw tracks, smelled them and heard them but never caught sight of one. It was also one of the warmest and driest seasons on record.

Check the weather reports; weather underground dot com and weather dot com have some accurate forecasting from about 10 days out. I think weather underground even has a feature that lets you see snow patterns as they are happening.

The old farmer's almanac is predicting a colder/wetter/earlier winter than normal, so I have a bit of a more positive outlook than in years past.

All that being said, if you are an out of stater, I would not waste my money, unless the forecast changes right before season.

my dad and his group had deer tags last year and I went along as a spotter and bought a bull tag so I could feel like I was hunting. lol. I did not think I would see one let alone get one but I only hunted elk for 2 days saw elk both days and saw 4 bulls and about 20 cows. Maybe I got crazy lucky. I found tracks got out and looked around the area and whamo found elk. seemed to easy but who does not like easy. haha. I can tell u where we found the best deer hunting I only saw a flash of an elk one day and that was it. U know how it will go if u don't buy one u for sure will have a great bull just asking for it and u can only be mad at urself for being cheap. u only live once buy one and if u never see one who cares. U should see a few good bucks so good luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom