6A Archery Deer hunt???

SWINGBOW

After 8 years of applying I finally drew an archery elk tag. I want to take scouting a trip to my area in late August. I noticed that the archery deer season is open at that time and has over the counter tags. So my question is... Are there any deer in 6A? I know there is a ton of elk in the unit and have a good starting point to look for elk (around Lake Mary), but I'm not having any luck finding info about deer. Oh yeah, I'm not picky about deer, especially since I'm more scouting for elk than hunting deer. I'll stick an arrow in the first legal buck I see and I'm bringing my friend that is new to the sport with me. So "forkies" look out!
Thanks in advance for ANY info.

There are alot more elk than deer in 6a but they are in there, Just stick to your plan, scout for elk in the areas you want to hunt and if you run across a buck let him have it.

John

I agree with John.

Pockets of deer all over. Focus on the elk, and you might come across some deer. ;-) Most deer that I have seen in the unit have been towards the Southern 1/2. I'll send a PM.

Good luck!!!!

S.

:)

+1 on the above advice.Just rember,that deer are Browser and elk are grass eaters ??? Plenty of grass in 6A,but best deer browse grows best around recent Fires/Burns --- Give the local F.S. a call and ask.Also have archery bull elk tag in 6A,just going to make it a "Fun Hunt" and bring home some elk meat,not a Trophy Hunt,this time !!! Good Luck to ALL in 2011 Bruce & Silvergrand

I did the same thing last year - hunted deer to scout for elk. Worked pretty well but like others said just focus on elk and chase deer as you find em. I saw lots of coues deer and 2 bears. You should get the OTC bear tag also just in case. No elk tag for me but I'll be in 6A hunting OTC deer/bear 1st week of Sept.

Ryan

Awesome! Thank you guys so much for the info. I can't believe how cool this resource is. I have "friends" that won't tell me anything and you guys are sharing your hard earned intel. I'm looking forward to the trail cam pics AAA, and thank you for the PM Stanley, I'll check out those areas for sure.

5321pict0230.jpg

6271pict0050_2.jpg

8878pict0243.jpg

8990pict0041_3.jpg

6788pict0026_2.jpg

6102pict0233.jpg

1308pict0167.jpg

- Austin A Atkinson
www.AAAOutdoors.com

I also have the 6a archery bull hunt this year and know the unit very well. If your looking for muleys then hunt around mormon lake and munds park. If your looking for coues hunt the southern half of the unit.Good luck with the elk and deer hunt. Here is a coues i shot a few years ago in 6a with my bow.
89coues.jpg

All sorts of terrain and a big variety of animals. Be warned those southern unit roads are nasty and will eat up your truck tires if you don't have a quad. My tires made it through without going down but it was the most white knuckled driving I've done in a long time worrying I was gonna break my truck way back in there...

Ryan

Thanks again guys, I am really enjoying researching for this hunt. AAA, those muleys would be in serious trouble if I knew where that water hole was!!! Thanks for sharing the photos. Ruthunter, that is an awesome coues buck. Good luck this year.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-11 AT 07:58AM (MST)[p]If I were you I would get myself a groundblind and set up on different tanks each day you're out during the deer hunt. That way you'll get to see which tank the Elk are hitting, and you'll also have a chance at a deer. Scout the tanks prior of course so that you can narrow it down to two or three good spots. Deer need water but Elk really need water so any tank you have lots of Elk hitting, the Elk won't be too far away at any given time of day.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

SWINGBOW,

Hit my email up or PM me and I'll direct you to that tank for you to setup a camera or something for this summer and ill show you the canyon they were hiding in last year..

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom