7 points - Pronghorn guide?

Pronghorn Guide Service

Tony and Eli Grimmett

Tony | 623-566-8708 (home) | 602-228-3899 (cell)
Eli | 602-828-0731 (cell)

They are the best!

I know he wants to go with a guide but if he just wants a great hunt with really good bucks. I would go unit 67. My brother and I both hunter there and we both took nice goats with before deductions 79 2/8 and 81 7/8. I think all you need is 4-5 days to turn up good bucks and cover some area. If he wants for sure a good guide, I've heard good things about Pronghorn Guide Service.

Despite that fact that the OP's profile is disabled, which always makes me wonder, I'll offer some observations based upon 30 years of Antelope hunting in Wyoming. First of all, the advice to use Grimmetts is good advice. If you have 7 points you could go in a number of units on your own and kill a 74 inch goat. There are a number of outfitters that will charge you $2,500 - $3,000 to guide you to a 78 incher (Carrico is good, or Ed Chipperfield, unit 62 north of Rawlins. Good guy, good hunt). Obviously there are exceptions but I'm talking averages - and I'm talking about using a legitimate tape measure :). In my opinion if you're going to use 7 points and hire an outfitter to find a true trophy then spend the $ and get Eli.

The next issue is unit 67. I've hunted that unit 3 times. 2002, 2009, and last fall ('14). To say that unit has slipped would be a huge understatement. I talked to the warden one evening and he completely agreed that the quantity and quality had slipped dramatically. We hunted the 3rd week of the season to avoid competition so they were no doubt picked over a bit but the warden told me that in the first 2 weeks he had seen 2 bucks killed that might make 80 inches. I took my daughter out there and 5 of us hunted hard for 5 days (daylight 'till dark, driving, hiking, etc.). We had a fun hunt, we saw a lot of antelope and my daughter killed her first one. I killed the biggest buck we saw - on day 5. I didn't tape him but he won't make 75 inches. No disrespect to the animal - He's a nice buck and I was happy. I just don't want you to get the wrong impression about 67. So, there's my .02. Do with it what you wish. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great hunt. Chip

The proof is in the pudding with the recommended outfitters.

In reference to the above post, that is not just a 67 phenomenon. The winter of 2010/11 and the SEVERE drought of 2012 really took a bite out of the antelope crop. Add to the YEARS of persistent drought working on the sage brush affecting antelope numbers and horn size . . .

Good advice for ChipC on 67. This upcoming year the 4 1/2 year old age class is way down on the unit. I talked with the biologist prior to last years hunt in making my decision and he told me that 15 and 16 would be tough for trophy bucks because the 4 1/2 year olds will be missing this year and next year the 5 1/2 year olds will be missing. After 16, weather permitting the unit should start to rebound some...good luck.

From what I saw in 2014 it may be worth waiting out a year to see if quality of bucks recover before burning a bunch of pref pts. I drew a 64 antelope tag which historically produces quite a few B&C bucks over the years. I spent a lot of time in the unit and saw lots and lots of bucks but only saw a couple that made me want to get a closer look. I've actually seen a lot bigger bucks in 2nd choice units in the past than what I saw this year. This wasn't just the case in 64 but just about everywhere I spent time in Wyo. I noticed a post on Onyourown website this year where it was mentioned that one of the Grimmets mentioned that bucks born in years with severe drought may never produce decent headgear even if there is decent moisture. I'm not sure if this was the case but it sure seems like this past season was pretty pathetic for horn growth and fewer antelope than normal. If you glance through this and other websites there weren't many 80"+ bucks shot this year in Wyo. Obviously there were a few exceptional bucks shot but they are like the exception. Anyway, those with a lot of pref pts may want to take a closer look before burning a bunch of antelope pts this year!

I think you got some good advice. Spaz advice especially interested me, I hunted 57 in 09 and was amazed with the quality in that unit saying that I'll probably never draw it again. The advice on 56 which I know has some smoker bucks although usually on private is interesting. Good Luck on your buddies hunt one thing It took me a while to learn is use that many PP wisely.

No one is hunting the Bolton unless they are one of the Anschutz higher management. They shut down the properties to trespass and guided hunts last year.

My buddy is not what you would call a serious pronghorn hunter. I believe that he would be very happy with a nice 14" buck that taped somewhere in the high 70" range.

He has taken a few elk and a lot of deer and is really just starting to pronghorn hunt as he gets older. The mountains are starting to get steep.

Thanks again for the leads.

I realize I'm late to this thread and the hunter only wants a 70+ buck, but what jims and chipc said is spot on. I hunted 67 last year - it's one of my favorite units - and it took me 3 days to find a buck over 81 - which usually isn't the case. After 6 days of hunting I had located 1 buck that was 85 and one that was 81. I had my buddy shoot the 85 and I returned several weeks later to fill my tag. I got extremely lucky and found an 86 6/8 B&C buck bedded about 1200 yards off the main highway on the north end. Just dumb luck really on that one because the unit as a whole was way down from previous years. When I went back I was prepared to eat my tag. A lot of the "best" units last year were way down from their usual trophy producing ability. I think 2015 will be a lot better, but I might just be optimistic for no reason. We actually killed a lot bigger bucks last year in easy to draw units.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

>By the way how many points
>did it take to draw
>67 last year.

Regular Draw was 100% with 7PPs and it was 56.52% with 6PPs. The Special Draw was 100% with 5PPs and 0% with less than 5PPs.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. But just the viewpoint of a bystander. I saw nothing out of the way with Topgun's post, and the experience I have with him, is he has been VERY helpful and seemed to care about any questions I ask. Apparently there are some other dynamics in play that I am not familiar with.

Anyway, I was interested in this thread as I too am looking for, not a guided hunt, but the appropriate unit for antelope this year. I have 8 points going in, and have shot a few bucks that will go in the low 70's, and would really like to have a public unit where I could spend three to five days, with lot's of room to roam and have the opportunity to chase an 80+ inch buck.

It is sounding like the weather a few years ago has created a scenario where it will be difficult to find these top end bucks, whereas prior to that extreme winter it was a much easier endeavor. I don't mind spending plenty of time sifting through any bucks I see, but I really don't want to be hunting for something that isn't around. Ultimately, due to logistics, it will be pretty much a shot in the dark and I can only rely on advice, and guys who have hunted there in the past year.

One thing that I would really like to do is hunt around Baggs, simply because my dad used to hunt that are in the late 70's and maybe the early 80's, and I think it would be kind of neat to hunt the same areas my dad did so many years ago. But if I need to wait another year or two to have an opportunity at an 80 plus inch buck, I am certain I can find enough other animals to pursue that it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Good luck guys.

Todd T, Obviously the more you can put in your favor the better chance for a B&C buck. The good news is it generally doesn't take long for pronghorn to reach B&C proportions. From what I understand if all the stars align bucks can reach 80" in only 3 years time. The bad news is 2012 was one of the historically driest years in history in the Rawlins-Baggs area. In fact, I hunted a unit close to Rawlins and it was the first time I had ever seen big sagebrush actually drying from drought! Maybe Eli can chime in on his experience with bucks born in droughty years but it doesn't sound good for at least the next year or so. It appears that Eli's clients did extremely well even last year so he definitely has a knack for finding trophy bucks for his clients even in rough years.

With that said, if I had a pile of pref pts I would likely wait it out at least 1 more year to see what happens. Obviously you always have a chance of getting a booner buck in trophy units if you put in the time scouting/hunting. There was excellent moisture in fall 2013 and spring 2014 so hopefully that equates to giant bucks in the years to come. Keep your fingers crossed Wyo has decent conditions this winter and excellent moisture in spring/summer 2015!

Eli, thanks for the post. I hunted 67 last year. I was fortunate to join up with a resident over there. I live in CA. We got caught in that mid season rain storm(s) that limited our mobility and our visibility for several days. We hunted hard though and only saw a couple bucks worth a second look. The one buck I really wanted to kill was alone but he was constantly on the move (looking for does?) and I couldn't keep up, so we finally lost him.

We saw lots of chunky 13.5-14" bucks that should be a better grade next year.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Here is the antelope we were able to get last year. Hopefully this works.

9646brad_and_james.jpg

Mudslinger, do you have scores for those? Just curious. The one on the left looks like a monster, but the one on the right is tough to size up, due to the picture angle, etc. Nice bucks though, both look like definite keepers to me.

The antelope on the left (the bigger one) scored: 81 7/8 and netted 79 6/8 and the one on the right scored: 79 2/8 and netted 76 6/8

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom