75, 3rd season

TxMulie

I saw the other 75 thread, but I didn't want to post on that one.

I just drew a cow tag, 3rd season for 75/751. So myself and a buddy (who will get an OTC tag) will be doing a DIY hunt here, and we are in planning mode. We are no strangers to elk hunting, but this area is completely new to both of us. All I seem to be reading about it is that it's nothing but a field of orange due to it being a southern OTC unit. But I also read the same thing about Unit 74, but I have no problems getting away from all the orange in that unit. That's where the majority of my elk hunting has taken place.

So far, our gameplan is take our camps on our backs, and access the wilderness via foot through one of the trailheads, then venture off from there after a few miles in. But as far as which one, we really don't have a clue. Right now I'm thinking either the trailhead north of Vellicito Reservoir or maybe just east of there on the Pine River Trail.

I've read mention of Missionary Ridge, but that entire area just looks really...accessible.

Is there anyone who is familiar with these units that may be willing to share some pointers or advice?

Also, I promise to do what most other people DONT do, and I will update this thread with pictures and maybe a short story when I get back from the hunt, whether I'm successful or not!

Roadless areas are great and hold lots of critters, but it does make you put most of your eggs in one basket (you are not as mobile). And remember, just because there are roads doesn't mean they all leave. Many people are not willing to drop down into steep canyons and therefore that is where the elk go.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-14 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]PM replied.

Solid advice txhunter. As matter of fact, the biggest bull I've seen while hunting in Colorado was less than half a mile from a road. And he was in a deep, nasty canyon.

Im definitely going to rethink our strategy. I have plenty of time to think about it at least.

Has anyone ever hunted in the NF south of 160? If there's lots of early snow, I'm thinking this may be another option.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom