7mm-08 load advice

WITUfan

I have a Savage Model 11 7mm-08. I have shot it some and actually killed a couple of deer with it. It shoots most whatever I try into about 1.25-1.5" but it hasn't shot anything particularly well. With that said, I haven't really done much load development. While I plan to shoot it some prior to then, I intend to really work on it as soon as turkey season is over.

The only thing I currently know that I want to try are some 120 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in front of some H414. Do any of you guys with some experience with this round have any other recommendations? Have you found any particular powder and bullet combinations that tend to be accurate in this cartridge?

Thanks for your recommendations.

I'm just getting ready to do the same thing with my 7-08 so no experience but I'm thinking if I cant get it to shoot with Reloader 15 or Varget I have other issues.

I have a 22 inch barreled mountain rifle 7-08. I have never loaded the bullets you want to try. However, my rifle is very accurate with both 140 grain accubonds and 139 interlocks in front of 41 grains of Varget. Neither load is very fast though; they are ~2650 and ~2750 respectively. I don't know why the interlock is faster with the same powder charge. Both of these loads shoot 3/4 inch at 100 and I have shot the accubonds out to 540 yards and it maintains MOA there too. Plenty good for the kind of hunting I do...

Thanks guys.

I should have specified that I plan to try the 120 gr TTSXs and H414 because I have them left over from other reloading. I am open to any suggestions.

It looks like I need to buy some Varget. I have never used that powder.

Varget is a good powder that is very universal in several calibers, not the best in all of them but pretty good... My 22-250 likes it.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have been loading for the 7mm-08 for many years. My all time pet load is 48.5 grains of H414, Fed 215 primers and 120 ballistic tip. This is not a hot load. So I think the TTSX should work fine.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

I've used both H414 and RL-19 with 139 gr Hornady SSTs and 140 Barnes TSX bullets. Shoot them out of a Savage Weather Warrior. Without looking, I believe I'm right at 47 grain with both powders. I remember that because the .280 shoots those same bullets with 57 grains of RL-19.

I could never get H414 to shoot very well in my 7mm-08. That said, Varget is terrific, H4350 and IMR4064 are excellent, H4895 and IMR 4350 also shoot well in my rifle.

That said, I never got good loads with H414 or the 139 SST. But...the 139 Hornady SP has been absolutely terrific. 140 Ballistic Tips are the most accurate with 1/2" groups common and sometimes smaller.

Good luck and have fun. I am a HUGE fan of the little 7mm-08 Remington.

I have two 7mm-08. A M70 and a Kimber 84. Both shoot Barnes very good

140 gr TTSX. W748, CCI mag, 43.0 and COAL 2.735

120 gr TTSX. RE15 CCI. 44.0 and COAL 2.780

I have killed two moose with the 120 gr load and several other. Ritters. I know, too small of a bullet and too small of a caliber but neither moosw got the memo

I have my daughter's Rem 700 classic shooting 5/8 group with 140 Nosler Ballistic tips, 49 grains of RL19 and Win primers and i havent touched the adjustments to the oal. Not sure about the speed but with a 100yd zero it's 10moa to 500yds.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

Just bought a 7mm-08 for my daughters and wife last year. So far I have a pretty good load with the 140 gr. Nosler BT. Using 44.5 gr. of Varget it's shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Good luck in your search. That is a great caliber!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom