7mmstw

7mmstw1

What's your thoughts on stw has a elk gun, shooting 160 partions @ 3300fps. Thanks Bob

I have one, love it, shot a big ol muley with Nosler silvertips with a 140gr this year the exit hole I could put my fist thru it, the only problem I have seen is the blood shock alot of it traveled up into the front quarter making a mess of the meat, mine kicks about like a 270, how's yours? Hell my wife even shoots it, you should have no problem with elk, lke anything else put a good shot on them and it will drop!...Greg

Hey Greg, mine does'nt have much kick because of the muzzlebreak but it's very loud! But I love it. I went to Wy couple years ago, shot a muley 310yds, dropped him in his tracks. One shot one kill. Just wondering on elk. Thanks

Have you considered 160 X type bullets or even the 180 grain offerings? For Elk I'd stick with the biggest toughest bullet I could get my hands on. PS don't doubt the 180s, their BC is super high so makes up for a bit of MV loss. Though I'm not sure there is a 180 hunting bullet??

The STW will work well, just like other 7mm's (7mm-08, 7x57, 280, 7 Rem mag, 7 Weatherby, etc.) work. Choose a good premium bullet, cuz it does the work, not the headstamp. Stick with the 160's-Nosler Partition & Accubond, 175 Partitions, Barnes 160 Triple Shocks, or 160,175 X's, or 160,175 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

My .02

Bob

3300ft/sec with a 160gr now thats cookin' what kind of groups does it shoot ( I know it really dosn't matter) and what lenght
barrel.I had one built a few years back on a Browning s/s
26'' barrel-- thought it's about time to play with it and see what it will do. I was looking at--I think-- they were 139 or 140 sst.
Rimrock

I shoot a STW also in Winchester model 70.
I have a elk hunt in 2 weeks here in Nevada, my question is do I shoot my deer loads for big bulls? My load is a Barnes X-Bullet 140 gr @ 3520 fps
Is this big enough for elk?
Any thoughts would be great, Thanks
Dave

Rimrock, it's a Remington with a 25.5" barrel with muzzlebreak. My groups are 2.5" to 3.5" at 300yds. Remington brass,CCI BR2 primers, 80.5gr of IMR 7828.I know that's more than Nosler load guide,but that's what my scales say. Bob

Dave just a thought of mine here , beware of the close shot with the x, I shot an XLC140 and it will pin hole them these were muley shots tho, anything under a 100 yds over that lay em down that bullet will open up like a bloomin onion at Outbacks, hope you get a bruiser ,don't know where your huntin but still some heavy snow here high in White PIne Co. on the moutain tops, GOOD LUCK!... Greg

Though I still have yet to see any X just pin hole through, I don't doubt it could happen. Have seen it happen with enough other bullets over the years.

Can't comment on 7stw but in 7 rem mag I know of a few guys that went with the 140X bullets and they have killed bulls anywhere from about 75 yards out to just past 600 yards with that bullet with no problem. Though I'd prefer a step up in size. But retained weight on that X makes it more like the next step up in a normal bullet.

I would shy away from shoulder shots but I know that they broke 2 shoulders on the exit wounds with the above, but I would not purposely do that.(with almost any round either)

Good luck, stick it where it needs to be and you'll be fine.

Jeff

Bob thanks for the reply.
I'm going to get serious with mine in a short while.I'll keep checking in and try to learn something.
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HUNTING
Rimrock

Greg,
thanks for the info....I have area 231 rifle elk
never even been there before, I drew the permit with 7 bonus points. I am going up to look it over this weekend. Any help on the area would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Dave

rost I have had 1 deer pin holed I think it was less than 60 yds, and one other time I took a shot at under a 100yds the buck seemed like I never even hit him, thing about it I wanted him to drop right where he was but he staggered and before I could give him another one he went over the top and down into no mans land, that cost me another extra 3 hrs and alot of butt sweat to get him out, I shot that 140 XLC alot have yet to recover a bullet but they stay together so good that they never seem to make a big exit hole at close ranges, I like the bullet and have dumped alot of critters with it I have no problems with it just a couple of bad expereinces with it, that goes along with any bullet as you said, maybe it's just the STW because they definatly scoot!...Greg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom