80/81 Bear

goldhunter

I'll be muzzy hunting elk this year down there, is it worth having a bear tag? Looks like the harvest is light but are there any big bears?

in September 2014 I stumbled upon a bear in unit 81 over by Trujillo Meadows. That was the only bear I saw that week of elk hunting.

Thanks, but after further thought, probably going to skip the idea and focus on the elk. Going to be hunting solo so don't want to have to deal with the meat.

Looks like you made up your mind, focusing on elk is probably the best bet. I have seen a few bears in the area, including 2 of the biggest black bears I've ever seen. But the encounters have been very sparse, I've never thought it was worth the gamble for the cost for a non-resident.

I have hunted Elk in these units for the past 11 years. I can count on 1 hand of bear encounters. Although last year I had a brute at 7 yards feeding on a dead calf. I wish I had a tag then but didn't. I believe you made the right decision of focus on the elk.

Did you draw a bull or cow tag?

I will be there this year but will be there the last week of archery season.

bull tag, weird unit, high demand for the muzzy tags but pretty low success rate. I just wanted to burn my points instead of building for years and years to get nowhere.

not to get side tracked, but I drew the 3rd season deer. What can a guy expect to find? I'll be hunting solo, hiking wherever I need to go.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom