80/81

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-12 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]Just wondering how the deer are doing in these units and what caliber of buck I could expect for the 3rd hunt?

I had the third hunt a few years back and saw a lot of does and forks with a couple of average 4pts and with the occasional 160-170 buck.

Thanks

ElkSniper

Hey Sniper, I hunted that OTC unit this year for elk, I will call you pa and let him know where I saw some good ones for the bow hunt.

Thanks
Did you get one? I am also thinking about buying an OTC bull tag while Im up there. This is my last year as a youth and want to take advantage of a $100 bull tag. Also we are having a very slow/bad year in NM. We already ate 3 tags this year so far.

Do you think it would be worth it?

I might stop by and get a copy of a key and chat with you when I get some time.

ElkSniper

I hunted a bull the first rifle season in unit 80. Saw quite a few deer, and i'd bet a 160 or 170 class buck wouldnt be out of the question. I live near the area and try to get out quite a bit and always see deer, just always hunted deer across the highway in 79. Also, like you said it wouldnt be a bad idea to get an OTC bull tag. pretty good chance you will run into some elk somewhere

Just got back from the area. We camped in Platoro (unit 81), and it was a tough go. It was warm while we were there, and I think the elk (and deer) were really high and staying in the timber. All the deer we saw were down low. If it were me, I'd be looking between 8 and 9 thousand feet. They were killing more bulls at that elevation too. If you want to know exactly where we were seeing deer, shoot me a pm. sounds like you may be hunting north of there in 80, which i'm not familiar with. Good luck to you. Heard it got cold in there yesterday, so maybe that will help.

WH

Hey guys I actually have this hunt for muleys 3rd season. I am totally up in the air on where to find deer. I have heard go high because the big bucks will stay up there. Then other people tell me to go low because that's where all the deer are. Anybody have any suggestions are where to be opening morning ha. Thx guys I appreciate it.

Even without alot of snow; terrace resevoir, cat creek and La Jara creek hold some very respectable bucks this time of year. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-12 AT 03:58PM (MST)[p]I heard that they did not get as much.

You guys should see some good ones. Once that rut starts those bucks will come out of the woodworks and chase those does no matter how much snow. But snow will help to bring more does down.

We went scouting yesterday for my little bro's tag in NM and saw a nice buck. No rut activity yet. They are in pre-rut. Starting to get those big necks.

a link to some pics
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/23818.html

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom