A kayak halibut

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Nooo! Not me. A couple local guys went out a couple days ago 4 miles off shore in 150 ft. of water. A Pacific Halibut. Lucky the wind didn't come up.

pacific halibut kayak.jpg

halibut at trinidad.jpg

I might try that this week in AK. Haven't decided.....Headed to Elfin Cove tomorrow and our outfitter sent me a text yesterday asking if I had life insurance and if I wanted to tackle halibut on a kayak. First thing that came to mind is the 150lb shark they just caught at the lodge. Not sure I'm going to do it. I guess it depends how far I might have to paddle/pedal. Not sure what you would do if you latched into 100 plus butt. I guess hold on and set the cruise control!

I might try that this week in AK. Haven't decided.....Headed to Elfin Cove tomorrow and our outfitter sent me a text yesterday asking if I had life insurance and if I wanted to tackle halibut on a kayak. First thing that came to mind is the 150lb shark they just caught at the lodge. Not sure I'm going to do it. I guess it depends how far I might have to paddle/pedal. Not sure what you would do if you latched into 100 plus butt. I guess hold on and set the cruise control!
You got BALLS big enough to float ya. Go for it.

Not sure why a guy has to go 4 miles out but congrats on a big halibut. We had halibut tacos for dinner last night....delicious.

Hey fstop!

We Want Live Footage When A Big Butt Tries Realing You In!:D

Not sure why a guy has to go 4 miles out but congrats on a big halibut. We had halibut tacos for dinner last night....delicious.
Seems like someone said something like that to Columbus……….

It’s the grass………..it’s greener over there………

Cool. 4 miles off shore……. which direction the wind blow out there. Its only 6,000 miles to the next stop.
You got that right. In the summer the wind comes out of the north/northwest. There's not much west of there to give them a report except a few buoys that transmit wind direction and speed and wave height. A few ships can give conditions. There is also a current in the ocean. It usually runs north to south about 2 mph. Sometimes 4mph. I got trapped in that one time. An hour into fishing and I drifted 2 miles south without realizing it. Throw in a 15mph wind out of the north and it's a struggle to get back.

To their credit these guys are very experienced kayakers. They went on the buddy system (where as I almost always fish alone. Bad karma, I know.) They have all the water proof VHF radios, GPS, and wear wet suits or dry suits and know how to get their kayak turned back over and then get back in. You can only last about 45 minutes in 55 degree water. All the local fishermen monitor channel 68 and then you have a direct call out to the Coast Guard if that fails.

I'll stick to the bay halibut, thank you.

Here's an ariel view of Trinidad Head with the protected "bay" at the top of the photo. I always just fished around the cluster of rocks just on the ocean side. Lingcod and rockfish. You have to go out a few miles to get to the sandy bottom where the halibut are.

Trinidad.png

It’s great to get your input eel. Living an outdoor life style in that part of the world is so different and unique as compared to the prairies or the Rocky Mountains. I’m always fascinated with your field trips, be it halibut in a kayak, falling redwoods, or panning for gold. It’s always a pleasure to ready your reports.

I am a junky when it comes to curiosity about the outdoor lives of people. I was fascinated with a Instagram thread I came across today. It’s done by Dale P Bordelon, the owner of Bayou Beast duck calls.
You can find on Instagram at:
bayou_beast_calls

Amazing lifestyle and story teller.

Paddle, Pedal . Pedal (sic) ? Or do you mean a pedal kayak ? Would that be as fast , or as efficient as paddles ? I've never kayaked but it might be fun in some of the lakes I hike or use our ATVs to access. I bought an inflatable model last year but I decided to return it to get some parts I needed for the Suzuki King Quad before a trip, that also included plenty of fuel for the Silverado, and some good food. Maybe I should have tried it out.
Eel, I envy you, even though I get some alpine lake action, those trout just don't measure up to any saltwater fish. Walleye does, but they just don't stock them here in my area. They do about 2 1/2 hours away, but they warn of mercury levels.
I am aware that bottom fish in oceans also have some mercury, but I limit my Tuna consumption.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom