A little more energy...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
..went into last night's dinner with my version of Steak Vera Cruz --thin sliced sirloin strips, shrimp & bay scallops cooked in a tangy red tomato sauce with onions, green olives, jalapeno peppers & a variety of spices . And ...

emerilBAM.gif

it winds up as this...

veracruzstuff.JPG

Add some cilantro, rice & a warm flour tortilla...

veracruzstuff2.JPG

veracruzstuff3.JPG

..went into last night's dinner with my version of Steak Vera Cruz --thin sliced sirloin strips, shrimp & bay scallops cooked in a tangy red tomato sauce with onions, green olives, jalapeno peppers & a variety of spices . And ...

Add some cilantro, rice & a warm flour tortilla...

View attachment 50126

View attachment 50127
Sweet! They don’t have that on the menu at the Olive Garden.

Not really Italian. I first got acquainted with a similar meal at LaPerla's -- a Mexican joint near us that was there for 50+ years. It was just shrimp & beef, tho, no scallops. The latter are my addition, and I normally add calamari, but didn't have any on hand last night.

Looks nice. Did you add any cayenne or other peppers besides the jalapeño for a little heat??
I'm ready for my plate!
I forgot to mention that this kind of sauce is perfect for other goodies, such as pork chops/cutlets, chicken or fish fillets. The Vera Cruz style fish is very popular in Mexico. My bride orders it often in the restaurants down there.

I don't really have a recipe as in the amounts of anything to add. It's mostly play it by ear. I basically sear the meat a bit in olive oil, then add crushed garlic, sliced onions & jalapeno strips, add some spices (sea salt, blk pepper) & sauté it all until I like how it looks. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I put a large can of stewed tomatoes, the chili garlic sauce, thyme, Mex. oregano & rosemary in the blender, then added it, the olives & bay leaves to the pot. After it simmered for about 10-12 mins., I added the raw shrimp & scallops & let it all simmer on low for about 4-5 mins. or just enough to cook the fishy things., i.e. turn the shrimp pink.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom