? about AZ

T

TwoPointDN

I will be down in Dec hunting coues deer and my dad is coming
with me. He is asking me ? that I can not find in the proclamation. Maybe you guys can help. My dad just got a 22-250 and is wanting to give it a try on a coyot. He does not have a permit. Would it be legal for him to pack it around on my hunt, and I can not see anything on hunter orange so I hope that mean that you don't have to have any. Also what would it cost to hunt Quail while were down there if there is time. Someone said to bring my shout gun. Anyway thank for any info.

2PointDn:

Call Az. G&F to get your questions answered directly > (602)942-3000. It should be okay for your dad to hunt coyotes (open season year 'round) without a deer tag during your deer hunt, but check with G&F for peace of mind (all he needs is a valid Az. hunting license). A regular hunting license is all that's needed to hunt quail here (no extra stamp, etc.) ...

Lv2hnt

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-02 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p]The question about your dad is a sticky one. The regulations say that no one may hunt predators in any unit if there is a general ELK or JAVELINA season open but doesn't mention deer. OTOH, if you have a tag for deer and he is along with another rifle, it might just raise the curiosity of a wildlife manager should you run upon one. My suggestion is to avoid such, but I would definitely contact the game department and get clarification and make a note of who you spoke with just in case a WM gets over zealous.

That said, if he MAY carry the rifle, he will need at least a general hunting license ($85.50 for NRs)to shoot a coyote. That would also allow him to shoot quail, and since you already have a license, you can also kill quail.

There is no mandatory hunter orange law here, though I recommend you at least wear a hat. Better safe than sorry. -TONY

TwoPoint: You might as well get him the license and I think he can get an over the counter Lion tag, so maybe he can kill a lion.......... Allen......

I thought the law changed about not being able to hunt while there is another hunt going on. I thought they changed the ruling.
Bugler

The way I understand it, the law has changed, you can now hunt bear, lion ,coyotes ect.. during a generl elk, Deer or javilina season, the old law was R12-4-309 and has been since repealed and is no longer in effect (page 1 of proc. however you must still have the approprite tags, times, dates for lion and bear, and you must have a valid az hunting license, if you are from within or from out of state, your father will need to have a valid class G Az hunting license in order to hunt predatory and fur bearing mammals, (coyotes) (page 50) of proc. you can find it on line at www.gf.state.az.us/frames/regs/index.html.....Hope this helps,and I hope you have a great hunt!!!!...Blade

You guys are indeed right about the old law being gone. I had mistakenly picked up a 2000-2001 booklet that was laying next to my computer!!

BUT...I also called a contact at G&F after I had posted my other reply. He definitely advises AGAINST anyone who doesn't have a permit carrying a rifle in the field. He also said the WMs will are keeping very close tabs now to see if they can cut down on the "buddy hunting" that is occuring. -TONY

2ptdown:

Bugler and Blade are right on the money about varmint hunting during an Arizona big game hunt --- it IS legal to be afield with a centerfire weapon (without a deer tag) during an ongoing deer hunt, REGARDLESS of what some G&F employee's feelings may be! Rule 309 did expire after last year's hunts; I didn't mention the regulation change itself. If you and your dad are legally licensed and hunting within the constraints of current regulations, do NOT be intimidated by officials in the field! I support G&F field law enforcement personnel, as long as they perform their duties according to what's on the books. That said, I'm NOT downplaying Tony's concerns dealing with how things might look if your dad, toting his 22-250, actually accompanies you in the field ...

I neglected to address your hunter orange question --- as already stated, it's NOT mandatory, but I think somewhat risky to put yourself at the mercy of who knows who looking at you through their rifle scope(s-h-u-d-d-e-r!!!). We in Arizona unfortunately just had a grim reminder of what can happen when a hunter's target isn't positively ID'd before pulling the trigger. It's something everyone has to determine for themself (FYI, I've got friends who hunt orange-less). In my case, it's not a rifle-carrying buck that worries me ...

Hope you have a GREAT time while you're down here,

Lv2hnt

I'm in full agreement with Lv2hnt and staying with what the law says and not each Game Warden. Read the proclaimation and do accordingly. The game commission let the stupid rule lapse so people could harvest more predators so I don't think that hunting coyotes and deer at the same time could possibly be a problem.

You should enjoy your dad and your special hunt. Knock over a few for me too and post some pictures.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Thanks for all the help. I now that pritty much every one can
us a few less coyotes. Well see what we can do. If I get my deer early we well still be staying for some fun.

Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom