Above timberline rifle deer hunt 48,481,56 and 561

TheSaint

Okay, now that the draws are done, how many of you applied for this hunt? I decided to go for it with 8 res pts. Never actually hunted these particulr units. Looks like a cheap sheep hunt with all those huge 14K ft peaks. I know of a few access points in the souther units. Any thoughts on the deer quality and access on the northern units?

I almost pulled the trigger and put in for that hunt, but decided to wait and see what was killed this year. I plan on scouting the northern units this summer, maybe I can let you know what I'm seeing.
I sheep hunted 56 a few years ago. Let me know if you need any info there.

I just about burned my points on it too but decided to scout more. I've scouted a few areas previously and there weren't many deer. Im sure there are a few around just gotta find them.
4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I think this could be a great tag for the next year or so. I'll wait to see if I draw the tag before spending too much time researching the unit. Hopefully between S12 archery and/or this deer hunt I'll be hunting somewhere around that area.

I muzz hunted this area a few years ago. Went high and scouted, hunted hard. Nevre saw a buck over 24" and came home empty. It's beautiful country, though and I'd consider going back but I would not burn many points to do it. But it is big country, so there might be a couple of whoppers out there.

I spent 7 ppts on an above timberline tag one year.

I'd located a couple of small herds with decent bucks.
The night before the hunt a storm came in. It was just rain down below but driving snow above treeline.

By Sunday the snow had stopped but high winds continued. I bucked the wind for a while but there were no tracks in the snow - no real reason for anything to be up there.

Later that week I took a day off work and climbed back up there again. Some snow remained but once again I found no sign of deer. Probably just as well because I would have had a long way to haul it down alone.

I also talked with my father about this hunt but even with living here in the unit - he decided against it. I dont think that this will be a easy hunt but there are a few good bucks to be found - just not that many great bucks. Huge area and the top end will be 170ish bucks unless you work and scout real hard or get lucky.

Sept 9th is a long time to wait to start. There are a few dedicated archery hunters who start lookin around about the middle of July. I know of a lot of folks (res) who put in for this hunt with 3-5 points so it will be interesting to see how many it takes to draw.

If you like hunting huge country and covering a lot of ground above 11k ft it could be good. Just dont hold out for a 190+ or you will pry eat the tag...

Good luck if you draw.

I hunted the early high country hunt in the Flat tops one time and that cured me of looking into high country deer hunting.I hunted hard for a week and never saw a buck,only saw a few does and fawns.Saw some elk but no buck deer.

>I hunted the early high country
>hunt in the Flat tops
>one time and that cured
>me of looking into high
>country deer hunting.I hunted hard
>for a week and never
>saw a buck,only saw a
>few does and fawns.Saw some
>elk but no buck deer.
>

First problem was you were hunting the flat tops...

Yep, to me flat tops = elk factory. Not sure why they would have a early deer hunt there. Someone must know where some deer are there, but it ain't me!

But the high country hunts I have been on, the scenery you see is worth the trip. From the Sangres to Maroon Bells to some areas above timberline in the southwest part of the state, you can't beat the beauty!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

One thing I have learned about timberline hunts is, frankly, most spots are completely void of deer. You have to locate the pockets that hold deer and be hunting a unit that has good genetics. Having said that, the holy grail of mule deer hunting, is harvesting a big buck above timberline.

I've spent a ton of time in the surrounding units archery hunting and have been lucky enough to score on a few high country muley's. If I'm fortunate enough to draw this tag, I think it'll be a decent hunt, but tough.. I'm just looking for a chance at a good buck and some new country. We'll see how the draws turn out soon enough!

"Not sure why they would have a early deer hunt there. Someone must know where some deer are there, but it ain't me!"

Yup, not sure why they have one either.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I hunted this unit hard last year(northern end). Beautiful place to be, but a tough hunt! Saw quite a few does and very few(small) bucks. Killed a big bodied mature 3x3 the last day of my hunt. Didn't have much of a rack, but he filled the freezer! The only other bigger buck I saw besides him was a big bodied forkie(he needed to be removed from the gene pool). I'd imagine there's got to be a few decent bucks around-I wouldn't be too choosey in that unit though, or you may end up eating tag soup.

I had 8 pts. I really don't care for the late season rifle hunts and didn't want to burn that many pts on an archery tag. I prefer archery hunting and saw no reason to keep accumulating points for nothing. It should be a fun hunt and being this is the first year for the rifle hunt, I think it'll be a good tag. Time will tell!

Well good luck I'd like to see how you do for sure. I plan on scouting it this summer and may burn up my points on it next year.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom