adolesent rock fights?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I got in a few. Learned a bit from them too. Ever get clocked with a rock? :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

We always had fights with dirt clods. It was awesome when we hit each other and to see the cloud of dust was just too cool. I did get hit in the eye once and that pretty much ended it for me.

I was crouched behind two chairs with an old rug draped over them for protection when the king kong of the neighborhood lobbed a big rock over the top and nailed me in the top of the head. Three stitches later ...

I was also involved in a cow pie fight in a pasture where the cows had been vacated long enough that the cow pies could be molded like snow balls. I still remember the big round brown spot in the middle of my brother's back to this day. The fight ended when somebody gathered up five gallons of the freshest ones he could find and then crawled up on top of a shed and dumped them on king kong when he walked past below.

My friend Yoda went one up on that. He was involved in a bull dog log fight once. His brother mixed up five gallons of logs with some water in a 5 gallon bucket and dumped them on Yoda's head from the top of the garage. That ended that fight in a hurry.

I guess five gallons of anything dropped from the top of a building would end about any rock, cow pie, or dog log fight.

Thanks guys!! lol

Once, i somehow got into a rock fight while i was up in a big ol almond tree that had a rudimentary platform with holes we called a fort. With nothing to throw but green almonds, not as good of ammo as one might think, i heard the rock coming before it hit me between the eyes. I lost that rock fight, running home with a big bloody nick and a headache. I made up for it other days as i said, i learned a few things. ;-)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Oh yeah, rock and dirt clods both. And crab apples too.:)

I was visiting my cousin who lived down near Modesto, CA one year. He lived out in the country on a 40 acre farm. Across the road was a huge vineyard, as far as the eye could see. It was owned by Gallo Winery. We sneaked across the road one day and the grapes were good and ripe. We naturally got into a grape fight.:)

Out of nowhere a guy pops up right in front of us. Scared us to death. He said "You boys are welcome to pick all the grapes you want to eat, but don't waste them like that." It was Mr. Gallo himself.

I was so embarrassed and ashamed that from that day on I vowed to never ever take something that didn't belong to me.

Don't ask me what that has to do with rock fights.:)

When I was 19 I worked for California Division of Forestry as a firefighter stationed at Klamath Station.

It was kind of late in the season and we had a little down time so I was told to mow the grass around the station. I was walking over to the truck shop to get the lawn mower and I noticed a big rock laying in the yard, about the size of my fist. I picked it up and chucked it into this huge berry patch.

I heard someone cry out in pain...It was our truck driver over picking blackberries. I nailed him right on top of the head. He never believed me that I didn't know he was there. LOL!

Dirt clods, but no Rock fights.

We had some cockleburs on stems, maybe 3-5 on a stem. We would pull the stems out of the ground and throw the stickers at each other.

We had an area in front of the office about half the size of a football field. The game was to have one kid chosen to be it. He would stand in the middle of this area while the rest of the kids would run from one side to the other...that kid in the middle would tackle one of the other kids.

Then there were two in the middle and those two would each tackle two more kids...repeat. While there was some pride in being the last guy, there was also a bit of pain to have all the kids dogpile on you.

Dirt clod fights were common when I was a kid, hurling rocks, however, was considered cheating and grounds for protest.

As a kid, one day I was mowing my folks lawn, and a white rock bounced off the ground in front of me. The kind used for decoration around shrubs and flower bed in the 70's a lot. Anyway, I looked and didnt see anyone, so I kept mowing...another rock bounced off the ground and I saw the neighbor brat Daniel duck behind a shrub bush. Now Danny boys folks were "the Good people" in the neighborhood, Mom was relief society and Daddy in the Bishopric.Their little angels did no wrong.I on the other hand was the kid with the BB gun and the loud mini Bike. So i picked up both rocks and through the biggest one as high in the air towards him as i could, he poked his head up to watch it..thats when i chucked the other rock as hard as i could at him..it was a beautiful thing. my guess is that the distance was 25 yards and that puppy had enough velocity to sail straight without gaining or loosing any height, untill it bounced off his forehead. Man did he drop! Out like a light..Thats when I realized ol man Nelson had saw the whole thing, He went hobbling over to Danny, Danny woke up after a few seconds,Head bleeding and a HUGE lump. Immediately he started bawling and ran home to his house,. He wasnt inside for more than 5 seconds and here comes mom and dad yelling and screaming at me. Old man nelson told me to go back home,But Dannys mom and Dad cut me off and Dannys Daddy grabed my arm and started shaking me saying you little trouble making so and so.I looked around just in time to see My mom coming out our door at a high rate of speed. Thats when Old man Nelson grabbed me and pulled me away and got nose to nose with Danny's dad and said Shut up! your Damn kid started all this! ask me him and all your kids are the ones causing trouble and they need a licken. You should also tell um if their gonna start a rock fight, they need to practice their aim. Thats when my mom and Danny's mom started in on each other.. i didnt,at my young age ,know a lot of the words my mom directed at her.She turned 2-3 shades of red and then started crying, her hubby took her home. Danny got 5-6 stitches and hid Dad told mine ,he thought we should pay some of the med. bill. My dad ask if he got hit in the head too, and shut the door

Really great replies guys, better than i hoped for. Thanks!

Yeah, dirt clods were made for throwing. Seemed that there was a brief period in my life, maybe 7-10 years old, couldn't tell you why, that i just picked up things off the ground and threw them. I was obsessed with throwing. Throw something at someone and they threw back, the War was on!

I also remember that Dad had to pay for a couple windows that i have no clue how they got that hole in them, but they did. No way, i wasn't trying to break someone's window on purpose but i guess if you throw enough things, you're bound to bust a couple windows.

Dad frowned on my mishaps and apparent lack of accuracy but he was a all-state high school catcher and clod thrower himself from way back so instead of a heavy handedness, he gave me pointers and lessons toward throwing things more accurately and was delighted to find out that his kid had a pretty fair arm.

Joey

My exploits were with Red Ryder B-B guns. There was 4 of us having a B-B gun fight at Loyd's grandfather's backyard where he had a large garden.
I was on my hands and knees crawling though the corn rows and Loyd sneaked up behind and shot me in the right rear cheek. Boy! did that damn B-B sting like crazy. I was determined to get even with Loyd.

A little later I crawled up the shed roof where the grandfather kept his garden tools. About a minute later here comes Loyd sneaking around the wall of the shed. He never looked up to see me laying on the shed roof. As he got below me, I pointed the Red Ryder B-B- at the top of his head and about 2 foot from his head I pulled the trigger.

There was a scream you would not believe and I saw blood on Loyd's head as he danced around screaming his lungs out.
That stunt ended our B-B gun fight for good. Loyd's grandfather came out and found out what happen and all our fathers took our B-B guns away and we never saw them again. But it did feel good to get even with loyd for shooting me in the butt cheek.

RELH

It was a night I will never forget. 1974 Prom night. A bunch of us went out to the parking lot to have a beer or smoke. The parking lot was surrounded by a wooded area. Excellent dirt clods with the consistency of rocks. I don't know what started it but 3-4 guys in the wooded area and 3 of us in the lit up parking lot. It was pitch black. I don't know who started what. I could hear them screaming in the trees and all of a sudden dirt clods started hitting the parking lot around us. Kind of like being shelled by howitzers. WE couldn't see into the trees. We just picked up the clods and chucked them back in to the trees. All of a sudden one of the guys starts screaming! I have been hit in the eye! I have been hit int the eye. Yup your eye don't look none to good. Bleeding like a stuck pig. Off to the hospital he goes with one of the buddies.
He lost part of his vision his parents and a slew of attorneys somehow figured it was either me or my buddy that threw the clod. I don't know how they figured that! My buddy couldn't hit a car if he was sitting in it. Well we lost the law suit.. Had to pay $200k

They had left for the hospital and we were sitting around talking about it. And here comes three big dudes with baseball bats madder then hell. One of them said ?where the hell is my girl friend?? We didn't know what the f(* he was talking about. He swings his bat around a few times. Come to find out his girlfriend?s purse and personal items were strewn around the parking lot near her car. She was never to be seen again. Debbie Kent was her name. 10-15 years later convicted murderer Ted Bundy on death row confessed to her murder and her location. She was buried in a shallow grave 200 miles away.
I kind of quit throwing clods for the time being.

Rutnbuck

Where I grew up, we had a few orange trees growing in the yard, so our ammunition of choice was oranges. One of my friends nailed my dad in the eye with an orange and give him the most incredible black eye I've ever seen. Bonus, he also got a lot of fresh squeezed orange juice in his eye so it stung like hell.

My friend when I was 12 was a chubby and cool kid . We were playing BB gun fights with heavy coats on and trash can lids.
I got hit in the left eyebrow. That BB came out when I was 16. The strangest thing was it came out in 2 pieces and was the standard copperhead BB.
I was 1/2" from losing that eye. I still have a dent underneath the eyebrow in the bone that I can feel .

never a rock but when I had friends over we'd set up mattress and blankets on each end of the basement and throw matchbox cars at each other. Not sure what the point was, sometimes other heavier toys were used to break down the forts. Then we could use the cars to hit the other ones (more accurate).

Like DM, we would have bb/pellet gun wars to. Had a couple acres sectioned off by 2 roads and a field. We had to stay in those areas and were in teams of 2. We'd run through there shooting the crap out of each other. Had a bb stuck under my skin in wrist for awhile till I cut it out one day.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Not fight related, but rock related- About 30 years ago I would play with a slingshot. I got really good with it. I had a friend over and we were doing some shooting in the back yard. Mostly shooting bricks and small toys with whatever smooth and round rocks we could find, it didn't matter the size. We got bored with that and tried long range shooting for a while. We mostly shot at tree trunks and trash in the alley, maybe 100 yards max. My friend started shooting farther than the 100 yards and decided it would be funny to shoot the roof of a detached garage about 150 yards away. It was a cheap metal building with a Galvanized roof. The rock he fired was kind of big and when it hit, it was super loud. We took off running and laughing. To this day, I will think about that and laugh my ass off. The person that had the garage was the dad of another friend. We never told him about it but I know from spending time over there that he liked his silence when he was in there, no radio, kids or anything like that. I could picture him getting the living hell scared out of him when the rock impacted if he was in there.

Loved this post and replies/stories...memories came flooding back! Here's one of mine:

A bunch of us 18-19 year-olds secured summer jobs at a mine where we grew up. We all knew the rules about horseplay/safety rules. One day, about six of us were in a covered conveyor housing, cleaning up rock spill. In those days, we wore aluminum safety hardhats. Someone started "ringing our bells", and the bigger rocks with right placement would knock off your "lid". We all got caught up in the "merriment of the moment". I got caught up in a one-on-one with one of my buddies on who could find the biggest rock. My buddy was just returning fire, when a door flew open, and there stood the safety engineer! We all stood there dumbfounded and in shock of getting caught doing stupid! The engineer was pretty upset, and he focused his wrath on my buddy who had thrown the rock. He told my friend that his paycheck would be waiting at the front gate...kinda used this as an object lesson!I don't now about the others, but that was the end of rock throwing for me!

Pete said it, this has been a very good thread, all you guys that contributed, my thanks!!

I remember way back, the first jack Rabbit i ever dumped with a rock. As proud as i could possibly be, i grabbed that head hit rabbit by the feet and started packing that critter back home to dinner. I was making good time until he came back to life. I wouldn't let go and he about thumped my hands to bleeding with his feet until i swung him around and bashed his noggin on a fence post. That quieted him down plenty and i was then able to continue on, show my folks that i too could help put dinner on the table. :)

Joey

RELH, lol Thanks!, i'm just getting started! I bet i've thrown a thousand rocks at rabbits. They was all over everywhere when i was a kid. Killed my first buck at 10 but wasn't allowed to take the 22 off by myself until i was older than that unless i was up to the Ranch. About then, in the backyard small game country that was fallow fields, along the railroad tracks, and mostly dry overgrown creek beds near my Parents house on the then edge of town, rocks works for ammo and certainly didn't hinder the hunt but as hard and often as i tried, they brought very little game to hand. But it was hunting to me and the carefree youthful miles i would put in.

Joey

Yep, some good stories for sure. I guess we were all kids once.

I had just started duck hunting at about the age of 16 and me and my buddy were jump shooting in a marshy area down by the bay. There was a slough and we sneaked up to it and there was a mud hen on the far edge! My buddy wanted to shoot it so he ran over to the edge of the water with his gun ready. The dang mud hen just sat there. I yelled at it and waved my arms but it just sat there.

So I found a rock and told my buddy to get ready for it to fly. I threw the rock as hard as I could and nailed it. Killed it dead.

I had to walk about a half mile to a culvert so I could get across to retrieve it, but I sure was proud!:)

Darn it Eel, I would have gave 20 bucks to have seen that one. Bet your buddy was upset that you upped him one.

RELH

Somebody mentioned slingshots. No chance of me outdoing anybody with my slingshot stories, i hit my hand often as not, never could make a decent one and too cheap to buy a store bought unit.

Fess up, what'd you shoot with yours? lol

Joey

Yes we used to have rock fights all the time, and around the same time my neighbor shot me with a bb gun,

I was in about 3rd or 4th grade and my cousin was two years older than me. Walking home from school one day we commenced a rock fight on the way. It was all good fun till he landed one just above my right eye. Blood was flowing pretty good. We lived a couple blocks apart and we got to my house and my mom took care of me to get the bleedin stopped. I don't recall my mom being to upset, but we never said a word to my uncle cause he probably would have about half killed my cousin, and not cause I was a favorite or anything, he could be kinda mean sometimes. Also teacher at school the next day asked a bunch of questions about my cut and sorta black eye. I didn't figure it out till I was older she probably thought I was a victim of child abuse, instead of just not good at duckin. I don't recall any more rock fights for me.

I did make a lucky lob one time while in college, and landed a decent size rock on the top of a male Valley quail's head, he was dead right there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom