Advice Please

ColoradoRam

I am looking to buy my 9 year old son his first rifle. I am pretty much set on either a 223 or 22-250. Wanted to get everyone's advice on what would make a nice starter gun. Everything we have researched is exspensive in my opinion, 650.00 or more. Were just looking for a quality built gun that he can begin practicing with. He is a big kid, 115 lbs and people at the local shops think he is ready for a 243 or 7mm-08 which I feel are too big for right know. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-09 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]I think the .223 is a better round and less expensive to shoot in a "starter gun" but is not as versatile. That being said a .243 can be loaded with light bullets and he can hunt a little more with it. Remington has a youth model in their 700 and Savage has a youth model that come in at lower price points than you mentioned and I think you can buy them at wal mart for a good price. They both have a shorter stock and are a good value. If you opt for the .243 or the 7mm/o8 make sure you put a good recoil pad on it and he'll like it better. That .243 is a great round for a kid to start out with since they can hunt deer, antelope and still varmint hunt with it and it has low recoil and is highly accurate and your wife won't mind shooting it either. My vote would be for the .243 and then his next gun you can step it up a bit. You may be surprised though in that a lot of guys that have them use them the majority of the time because they're fun to shoot and group well. You'll get some other good opinions on here but just make sure you don't over gun him going in. If you have a .22 laying around that he's shot and can shoot then it makes more sense to buy him a gun that he can hunt a little more with. Either way you can't go wrong and he'll love what you get him.

What do you want him to be able to do with this rifle?

If it is just shooting and learning to shoot, then a .22 or .17 hmr would be great and less expensive.

If you want him to go deer hunting soon, then the answer is a little different.

Just went through this with my buddy. His kid is one year older than yours and is big also. He finally is going with a model 7 in 7mm-08, mainly because he wanted stainless.

There is a switch model vangaurd and howa that gives you two stocks, one youth and one full size. I see that in .243 or 7mm-08 as a choice that would cover for many years.

We also found many other options.

This particular kid had been shooting his dad's .22's, 17 hmrs, and .223's already. He borrowed my savage in .280 and killed a pig. But it was just a little big on him to get on the pig. so the smaller model 7 seemed in order according to his dad.

Gun broker has many older youth models in seveal manufacturers mostly in wood and all in blue finish. Many ideas can be seen there.

I think it also matters if you reload or not for many calibers.

I like savage and a stevens in .223 or .243 can be had for small money if you look around. That would be the rilfe that will work well for the smallest dollars.

Let us know what you end up doing.

buy a 22 rimfire in a similar style to what type of rifle you plan to have him hunt with. for a good cheap accurate centerfire a stevens or a savage would be my first choice. start with a 243 and change the barrel to 7mm08 or 308 later. ce61

there is a guy on this very forum that is selling the perfect gun for him. (reloading would be a big plus for this round) its the 257 Roberts.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-09 AT 11:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-09 AT 11:39?PM (MST)

Absolute greatest gift a father can hand his son! I was only 110 lbs (240 now) when my pop gave me my 270. Still use it today and I have never lost an animal. Even with a few less than desirable shots in my younger days, it had enough umpfff to get the job done on big muleys and more recently elk. I grew up with it...know everything about it...and am proud of the fact that I received it as a kid and have used it for 18 years as my sole hi-powered rifle. I have yet to consider buying another (waiting for that moose hunt to come through). The recoil is not hard but is sharp...and will be easy to manage with a common pad. When God sees fit to bless me with a son, I will take the "lasting" value/usefulness into heavy consideration when shopping for that first hi-power and hope that he feels the same satisfaction I do with each successive trigger pull. May it last him a lifetime as well.
Sometimes smaller can be counterproductive. While he may be able to practice more on the range with a low recoil rifle, no amount of range time will prepare him for the ?fever? of a big game animal. In that situation, power over precision can be a true friend. If targets and east coast antlered dogs are all that need to fear the business end of your son?s rifle?then low caliber may be the perfect fit. If hunting western states will ever come into play?it might be better to prepare for that now. I am not trying to push 270?s?that just happened to work for me. There are a wide range of calibers that would fit the bill. I like the advice on the 257 roberts, especially if you reload. 25-06 is another. 7-08 and 280?s are an idea. You can ever consider a 30-06 with ?managed recoil? style rounds. If you can?let your son try em all out on the range and get him in on the decision.
Above all, regardless of the choice, he will love it and the memories will collect! Good on you!

Edit: Just wanted to add I wholeheartedly agree that the fundimentals should be taught and applied with a 22LR. Even a 223 will have enough flash and recoil to hide poor trigger control and flinching...you will see it on paper but maybe not as he is firing the rifle. Its alot harder to explain to a kid looking at holes in paper why those holes are so far apart... but a 22LR will visible jump when the trigger is jerked (instant feedback). My first rifle was a Remington 582. Got it when I was 6 and still use/hunt with it today (32 now). Maybe I am getting that whole "lifelong" concept accross!

I have a 10yr old son who started shooting a .243 last year when he was 9yrs old and he shot it fine. My dad loaded up some light loads for him and we put a recoil pad on the gun he is not as big as your son, my boy only weighs about 75 lbs give or take a few but he shoots it fine using shooting sticks. The rifle is a Ruger M77.

Good luck.

Slide

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-09 AT 11:43AM (MST)[p]I just got back from a trip to Wally World and there on the shelf was a Mossberg Bantam Youth model 100ATR Bolt action. It was chambered in .243 and had a synthetic stock with an adjustable length of pull from 12" up to 13" with a removable spacer and a good recoil pad. The gun had a 20" barrel and was an excellent starter gun size and weight wise for a smaller individual. It was less than $300.00. Now that's a great price point for a starter gun for a child. The fit and finish were fine and it would make a great hand me down rifle for a family. Here's another alternative to consider.

I really appreciate all of the first hand knowledge and advice of everyone. I went against opinion here and found a Weatherby Vanguard Carbine in .223 with a 4x Redfield scope NIB for 375.00 and couldn't pass it up. He still has 3 years till his first big game hunt in which time I will step him up to a .25, .26 caliber or 270. Again, I appreciate all the feedback, thanks !

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-09 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]Coloradoram. The thing that's difficult about the internet is understanding what intent an individual has. Most of us probably thought you were looking for a hunting gun rather than something to just shoot with. The .223 is an excellent cartridge and it will serve him well and the he will have many other optiona as he gets bigger. In any case he'll love what you bought him and it'll be one of his most prized posessions. That gun will still give him a ton of experience with it's versatility until he's ready to hunt big game. Enjoy!

My kids all learned to shoot with a .22. The first gun with which they hunted was a .243. I cut the stock off and glued it back on for each of them.

My 6-year old has already shot several water bottles and watermelons with it. I bought it from a pawnshop for $125....long ago but it was a GREAT investment.

It's killed several "first" deer and a BUNCH of coyotes/rockchucks.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Boskee said; "Most of us probably thought you were looking for a hunting gun rather than something to just shoot with."

LOL, very good!!

Seems some ask for advice with no intentions of using it. Can't say this individual is like that but i refrained from responding to this thread for fear of wasting my words.

With very little exception, do i ever think any .223 caliber bullet is appropriate to hunt big game animals like Deer or Antelope. If you hit a front shoulder bone, most of the time the bullet will flatten out, not punch thru to the vitals and you have a seriously wounded but not lethally shot animal. .243's, 6mm's and 257 Roberts are, IMO, "Perfect" for that job described above.

...but again, i feel i'm wasting my words!

Joey

After Daddy's .30-.30 knocked me flat into the bottom of the blind on my first deer(age 7)he bought me a Rem 700 .243 the next year.I killed deer every year with it till I was 15. The recoil was never an issue and I was a runt of a kid...

Kids grow up real fast. 243 isn't too much gun for a kid that size. My 65# 8 year old can shoot my 25-06. It kicks him a little hard but does alright. I would also consider the 257 roberts as suggested earlier.

I agree $650 is high for a kids gun BUT..... Like someone else pointed out, my dad bought me a 870 magnum(12 year old), 10/22(8 year old), and a 30-06 a bolt(16 year old). I still have all three, have nearly worn out the 10/22 and the a bolt is still my only big game rifle. My point is, get something good, not cheap. Start that tradition. My dad died a few years back and now those guns are the part of him that hunts with me! I like the .243 too, but go to the gunshop, let him touch them, hold them, talk about them, let him be one of the guys(not a kid), but one of the guys, let him know that gun is you two's connection, and when he is an old dude like me, every scratch, every ding will remind him of you, hopefully you'll still be around, but if not, those dents, dings, scratches are your gift to him!! Good job on gettin the 9 year old shooting!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom