Age Old GPS Question

huntswnm

OK, Here it goes,

I am looking for a GPS unit. Don't have a whole lot of money to spend so top of the line is out. I would like to have one that is able to download coordinates and waypoints into my computer onto a mapping software program. Any suggestions on a GPS and on a name of a mapping software program?? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-04 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]For mapping software, try USAPhotoMaps, jdmcox.com. Keep in mind that some GPS's may not come with a cable to connect to your computer, therefore you may have to build one or buy one for $30 to $40.

Mountain.gif

garmin etrex
I think the model that has the radio is the white rhino?
but the etrex is easy to use and you can down load onto it.

Ok. I've been selling GPS systems for years so I consider myself knowledgable on the subject. Garmins are great and easy to use. They will transfer coordinates to and from a computer, and some even have maps on them. They have a new one called the foretrex that is tiny that you wear on your wrist. The camo etrex is great too because it has more memory than the yellow etrex. All of these run under $150. There are also some Magellans that are worth looking at. The Magellans actually have a better reciever and therefore get much better reception and are more accurate. They are configured differently form the Garmins but are still easy to learn. The Magellan Sportrak is a great unit for under $150. As for software, the best by far is the National Geographic software for each state. The detail is amazing. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions.

The Garmin Etrex's have no memory capabilities.I use the Garmin Legend which has 8MB of memory. You should be able to find the unit for under $200. The MapSource topographical CD costs $100.
Arizona Griz.

Just got my Garmin Legend w/ the pc cable this week from Amazon.com for 159.94 w/ free shipping. On top of that Garmin has a $30.00 rebate thru Aug.1 I grabbed a carring case and the cigarette lighter adapter also. The Legend came UPS in like 3 days the other stuff came USPS in 9 days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom