AK spring bear - rookie question

RockyDog

Can anyone tell me the season dates for spring grizzly hunting in AK. Im going up near Delta Junction next May and im wondering if the season is open then and if a nonresident can buy a tag.

It dependes what unit around Delta J. your looking at. 20a closes may 31 but 20d is open until june 30.Both subunits surround delta j.Also if you are not a resident you need a guide or a relative within the 2nd degree of kin. Good luck Mountaineer

Thanks for the reply. I will be in 20A. We will be flown in and set down in brush country near the rivers. Thats not much for you to go on, but do you think in a week of hiking in that kind of country i could expect to see a grizzly?

Its really hard to say.If its late may and its green it could be tough. Use the AFGD website for the harvest reports for that area and that should give you a good idea.Its a pain but a good tool once you figure it out. Mountaineer

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-08 AT 05:14AM (MST)[p]330-Trapper

Who needs a guide?
All hunters that are not a resident of Alaska are required to have a guide. Non-residents who may use either a resident relative (Second degree of kindred) or a registered big game guide to accompany them in the field. "Second degree of kindred" means a father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother- or sister-in-law, son- or daughter-in-law, father- or mother-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother, stepson, or stepdaughter (5 AAC 92.990).

This is for Brown/Grizzly hunting in AK

THanks for the replies guys. When i posted this i didnt know i wouldnt be able to bear hunt when invited on a trip. So im switching gears to moose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom